Testing strips - how many do you get?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, the number of strips I use is much less than most of the other posters. I guess I got used to being careful with their use when I had to buy my own before I went onto Basal/Bolus insulin. I'm not a full-blown T1 so that does make quite a difference. I always test before driving unless I haven't had any insulin for many hours. Other than that my blood sugar is quite predictable so I sample test during the week and/or if I'm not sure if I've got the carb-counting Bolus right or I want to check in the morning if my Basal dose is still right. I inject 2 to 3 times day and use around 50 strips/month. I guess we are all different!

SB2013Pump

I get 250 each month which seems about right, but can reorder if necessary. Like you I use an Accu-Check meter and it is great to have all the bolus info based on current BG, carbs as well as any active insulin. So that is a test every time you have a meal. Also we are advised to test every time we drive. I just do it as a matter of course when I get in the car now. So that is another one per day (or more) and also before bed. At least 6 per day so far. then with any hypo, and exercise, .... 50 per week seems to work most weeks. The driving one is important especially with the new regulations.
I hope that is of some help - Otherwise as suggested move practices.

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
I have been lucky as I get as many testing strips as I need, providing I request my stest strip prescription online. If I ring the surgery to request a repeat for my test strips I get nothing but ear ache from the receptionist but have always managed to justify my reasons for the prescription requests by being T1 and on a pump etc etc. I will just challenge them, in a polite way of course. My GP has also been very good at prescribing my test strips too.

I am flabergasted by the amount of T1 diabetics who have been refused test strips and after the number of unconscious episodes I have had recently with severe hypoglycaemia, I know I could not live or function without them but I have been very very lucky. PCTs and GPs need to take a long hard look at their diabetic patients needs and weigh up the risk versus the cost and then get their priorities right as they are putting the lives of some people with diabetes at risk and it's not acceptable. :shock:

There had my rant!

Dr Zordas

I get 50 strips every 2 months - Dr told me to test 3 or 4 times per day (been on Byetta for 2 months). Maths is not his strong point. :(

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been to see my GP and we had a good chat and he has agreed to prescribe more testing strips and also agreed to a half unit Novorapid Echo pen hoorah! Although apparently there's issues with supplies of the pen so not sure when I'll get it.
Thanks for all the support :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
drahawkins_1973 said:
Just been to see my GP and we had a good chat and he has agreed to prescribe more testing strips and also agreed to a half unit Novorapid Echo pen hoorah! Although apparently there's issues with supplies of the pen so not sure when I'll get it.

Great result, the NovoPen Echo is a great little pen with the built-in memory function :thumbup:

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am type2 and so have been buying my own test strips for the last couple of months since I got my free meter from Glucomen.

Visited surgery yesterday for my latest HbA1c results and DN was delighted to hear my reading had dropped from 92 to 45 over last few months. Told her it was down to better control of diet now I understood the effects of different foods on my BS levels. We had a long conversation about reducing carbs etc and got the usual lecture about balanced diet etc.

She then looked at my reduction in weight (over 1 stone) and my normal blood pressure and started to believe that there might be some truth in what I had been doing.

Anyway the outcome was that I can have unlimited prescription for lancets (on my regular prescription) and a supply of 50 test strips which is the maximum for a 3 month period. If they are still proving useful she will review further individual requests for more in 3 months.

It really lifted me yesterday to find out my bloods were down to normal levels and the bonus of the supplies even though they are less than I need.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diabetic Krissy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude, horrible, stuck up people.
I get 200 whenever I need them. I haven't been told I have a limit and have never been refused them. I don't think there is such a thing as a Type 1 testing too much!! It is so wrong not to be able to get them!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Tjb said:
Personally I typically get through 11+ strips per day (over 300 per month).

But, let's face it, what we really want is something like this:
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540/vp/50582822#50582822
(Jump to the 5-minute mark.)

Blood Metering connected to your smart phone, measuring continuously - even whilst you're asleep (which is kind of a problem for me at the moment).

Great idea. Must be cheaper than test strips in the long run ! One day maybe.....

LordPercy

I buy mine. That way it's none of anyone's business how many I use and what for. I'd use every last penny of my own money to buy my own supplies if it kept me from having to battle with those people.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried to order more than 1 of the little tubs of 50 on my prescription and they gave me 1 which will last about 9-10 days. So I'm forced to go and collect the prescriptions weekly. It does not make sense, it is just more admin for everyone.

I argued that I had to test at least before every meal, before driving, before and after exercise, and before bed. A minimum of 10 a day. So they upped my prescription to 200 which I put in every 3 weeks and so far no problems

Dislikes
Hypocrisy
I get 400 strips , I did have to badger my GP though. Now I put in a repeat prescription whenever I want or need them. Same with Ketone test strips { my meter uses both }