Where's your BS limit?

PaulAuster

I feel that every diabetic has his own sense of where high blood sugars begin. I've noticed that some people say ''It's high'' when they reach 7.8 (140), for others it's plain 7 (126), and others don't talk about high blood sugars until they reach at least 10.

I'd say my limit is 7.2 (130). Where's yours?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I personally like to be under 7.0 mmol/s 2 hours after meals although that doesn't always work out.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like to stay below 7.0 2 hours post meals

Sent from a melting iceberg. help!!!

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I try to stay under 5.5 mmol (100 mg/dl) at all times including after meals which I manage to achieve 90% of the time although I'm getting my HB1AC results on Monday so I'll be able to tell how far I'm off.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A high to me is anything in double figures so it would be 10mmol and above, try and keep my one hour postprandial bg readings below 9 and around 7 on the two hour mark, a low is anything below 4 but will still eat something if I'm in the low 4's and it's a while before my next meal.

LittleWolf

I'm over 11 daily and the highest has been nearly 25, yet my GP insists I'm not diabetic

HOW THE HELL do you stay under 5.5? Seriously?

Sitting at 7.9 now and I've had half a bottle of orange juice since 5 o'clock yesterday. I know orange juice is sugary but I need something in me to motivate me to work. I live in the campus library so low carb home cooking is not an option.

5.5? What??! I consider it on the high side over 8 and really start to worry at over 11, because that's when I really feel tired/cranky/headache.

5.5. I feel happy for you that you can maintain that but pretty jealous/frustrated at the same time...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
It's not easy and I'm only taking 5 - 6 measurements a day so in between I could be higher, my next HB1AC will tell the full story. I do lots of exercise and cycle to work daily and not forgetting the 'main ingredient' low carb i.e no orange juice :)

LittleWolf

I do gymnastics, pole dancing, yoga and horse riding. 20 years old, 110lbs and a trim 22inch waist. Think I do good on the exercise front. My family never buys orange juice as juice is expensive. So I had it as a once in 6 months treat :/

Whether I eat or fast for 3 days it sure as hell doesn't stay under 5.5.

I shouldn't be taking my frustration out on you though. You should be really proud of that control xx

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
LittleWolf said:
I do gymnastics, pole dancing, yoga and horse riding. 20 years old, 110lbs and a trim 22inch waist. Think I do good on the exercise front. My family never buys orange juice as juice is expensive. So I had it as a once in 6 months treat :/

Whether I eat or fast for 3 days it sure as hell doesn't stay under 5.5.

I shouldn't be taking my frustration out on you though. You should be really proud of that control xx

It's Okay to be frustrated LW and I'm not surprised given the grief you've suffered with trying to get diagnosed...I was once in a similar position to you with ridiculously high numbers and was very frustrated indeed-I hope you can discuss your OGTT results soon so you can get the treatment you so need.

Best

Paul

LittleWolf

My OGTT 2 hour reading was 10.something. Therefore normal. Therefore a 3rd GP emphatically stressed to me to go the **** home and stop being paranoid. Arrg.

I'm derailing the thread with my nonsense again. Sorry :/

carlos37

after 1 year of having bs at 22 28 I class high as 10 11 and can live with that like it to be lower but not overly worried at that

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exactly the same as noblehead. I class high as double figures and I'm always disappointed when I get a double figure reading. My targets are what Diabetes UK recommend which is below 9 mmol/l 2 hours after eating, below 7 mmol/l before eating and always above 4 mmol/l.

Tend to go a couple of weeks without being in double figures, a few days within DUK's recommendations and a couple of weeks not being below 4.

To the OP, 7.2 mmol/l is a very precise figure!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same as noblehead and Sam, you can tell who I've taken advice from on this forum ;)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lately I tend not to feel myself when over 8, tired, thirsty, grouchy. so for me I class anything over an 8 a high cause thats when i seem to notice it, even for a relatively short period. Lows I would class as below 5 during the day when active/driving although happy to wake as low as 4.5 as a morning reading.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Hale, nice to know some people listen to me!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
SamJB said:
Thanks Hale, nice to know some people listen to me!

Just because I listen doesn't mean you're right ;) you could be leading me down a deep and dangerous path of destruction!

Haha only kidding!

Diabetic Krissy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude, horrible, stuck up people.
I would say 10 is my high but I am often above that... I WISH I could stay below 5.5!!! That would be amazing, congrats to you!

Esther1411

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say 10 is my high too but am also often above. If i get to around 5 then i start to feel shakey possibly because I'm a little too high too often and that is what my body is used to. However I find that if i'm at the gym my levels can drop by around 3/5 units fairly quickly so starting at 10 seams like a good plan??