Flu Jab

elaine77

Hi all,

Not been on here much since the update as I can't get my head around the new layout :-/

Had my flu jab today and now I feel major ill and my BS has shot up to 9.5 mmol inexplicably!!! Is this normal?? The flu vaccine isn't going to make my immune system go crazy and murder like a million more beta cells is it? I think it's already been on a spree as my levels have crept up recently...... Ugh I hate LADA so much.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I saw the nurse a week or so after my flu jab she asked if I'd had any problems, as the previous year's jabs had made some diabetics' blood sugars rise. I didn't personally have an issue but it is apparently a known phenomenon.

I don't know anything apart from that though, sorry. :roll:

sugarmog

I had the jab last week and my sugars seem to be a bit higher than normal. Not drastically, but noticeable. Low sixes when I would expect mid to high fives. Hopefully it's only temporary.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I had my flu jab on Tuesday. Only side effects were a sore throat for the rest of the day and the morning after, and a sore swelling on my arm. Never thought to check my levels afterwards. Should have done.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't had mine yet. I have a friend who is a GP said my surgery would contact me but I haven't heard anything yet!

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I had mine last Saturday with no ill effects :)

Lorna

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
I had my flu jab on Monday and having the opposite problem to the OP (I'm T1 btw) - I'm having to work hard to keep my BG levels above 4.0 - for the last couple of days they have been between 3.5 and 4.5.
I'm taking hardly any rapid insulin with my meals - so far today (it's 16:30) I've taken 1u which was with lunch (20g carbs (2 x Morrisons chicken kebab skewers + small tub coleslaw + small pack dwarf beans + 50g of Camembert)). I skipped the breakfast (16g carbs) dose as my pre-meal reading was 3.2 - 20 minutes after eating it was 4.2 and it was still 4.2 an hour later. Had to have a couple of biscuits before lunch as it was dropping into the mid 3's.
I feel ok though last night my temperature was in the low 35's (it's 36.7 at the mo). I'll be reducing my Lantus dose by a couple of units tonight.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

Have had mine done [3weeks ago] only experienced 'slightly raised' BG levels 72hours later .
Been fine since the 72hours passed :thumbup:

Hope this can help .

Anna .

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had mine tuesday, felt like poo for two days, normal levels though so a plus.
Had no contact regarding this from gp, arranged through tesco pharmacy, just a simple form to fill out to get it free. If you havn't had it, and want it dont wait for your gp to contact you, they might not.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My work offers them openly. If I don't hear from my GP by the time the work opens up for them ill just get it there as usual

elaine77

They didn't contact me as such they printed it on the back of one of my prescriptions and that was it. I'm thinking maybe it's not even the flu jab and I'm just deteriorating... Levels are just going up and I'm seeing more 10s nd 11s which I never did a few months ago... :-(

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

sugarmog

Not sure that GP surgeries actually contact all patients that are entitled to a free jab. Mine certainly doesn't. I was lucky last year. I was seeing my doctor about something else, and asked her if I was still entitled to a free one given that my BG results were now coming back as normal. At which point she opened her desk, stabbed me in the arm with something sharp and job done. This year I had to make an appointment and there was a 5 week wait due to demand. However, while I was picking up some test strips in Boots a couple of days later I discovered that as a registered diabetic I was entitled to a free one there as well. Had it a couple of days later.

I've felt a little bit woozy in the days since, but nothing serious.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I'm due my Flu jab now. Thanks for reminding me.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
My doctors sends out letters for people to make appointments. I should really see if they can stop sending mine because I will never have a flu jab.

Morganator

Will get mine on 31st, out practice does an all day drop-in clinic at local church hall. If that is inconvenient you have to make an appointment for after that date.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using DCUK Forum mobile app

zztopbanana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, liars, cheats, thieves, discourtesy, egotism,
Had mine 2 weeks ago today and was rough as a dog on the Monday. The surgery told me it wasn't a live vaccine so I must have caught something off someone else in the queue.

I'm just about coming out of it now after 2 weeks - never been as rough as this in my life and I've just turned 60 - diagnosed Type 1 in April this year following emergency admittance to hospital.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I had mine last wednesday. I was ok though, my arm hurt for a few days. I was really poorly last year after it so thank god it didn't happen this year - although there's still time I suppose LOL