Put Off by Food

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm feeling a little bit sorry for myself at the moment. I've tackled this diabetes head on since day one, haven't once cheated or given in to temptation despite it being all around me ALL of the time. (My other half is only interested in junk food, and my diagnosis hasn't changed the amount of cake, biscuits, crisps, chips, and takeaways brought into the house.... all that is different is that I don't eat any of that).

I've lost a lot of weight - 46lbs, and I still have a fair bit to go, but I think I'm past halfway to where I need to be. I do cardio for one hour 5 days a week, and do a lot of long walking. I love being so active, and it feels good to be fitter than I've ever been before.
But, it feels like diabetes has taken over my life. 10 weeks in and all day every day is a battle with food. I'm fed up of thinking about what I can eat, and what I can't eat.
I'm never hungry anymore, my appetite has disappeared to the point where I often feel sick when I think about food and I often eat because I know I should, and not because I'm hungry.
I don't know whether this is a side effect of the metformin, or whether it's the low carb diet... because the foods I've been relying on most (meat, fish, eggs, cheese and some nuts) are the ones that make me feel the most nauseous.
I never finish a meal anymore... sometimes out of feeling full, but more often out of being so bored and fed up of food in general that I just can't eat anymore.
Even sugar-free jelly has started to repulse me :-(

I realised how bad this has become when I started reading the "festive" thread and had to click off because the talk of mince pies was making me feel sick (and I love everything Christmas).

This post is mostly a "getting it off my chest" exercise, because it's really difficult to share this stuff with non-diabetics.
But does any tips/ideas how to go about enjoying food again? Has anyone else been through this and felt their motivation sapping away?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, I kind of understand what you mean. I've read lots on here about low carbing and I think it's great if you are able to stick to it. I tried it but only within a few weeks I was bored of the food. The foods I like and enjoy are not 'good' for diabetics. I suppose I'm a fussy eater, I like just plain English food.

There are lots of foods I will not try as I know I will not like them. There are foods that make me feel ill just by the name of them. Which I know sounds stupid and it's very hard to explain! I like peas but the thought of mushy peas makes me want to be sick. I don't like the sound of wraps.

I know this is no help but I sympathise.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
luceeloo said:
I'm feeling a little bit sorry for myself at the moment. I've tackled this diabetes head on since day one, haven't once cheated or given in to temptation despite it being all around me ALL of the time. (My other half is only interested in junk food, and my diagnosis hasn't changed the amount of cake, biscuits, crisps, chips, and takeaways brought into the house.... all that is different is that I don't eat any of that).

I've lost a lot of weight - 46lbs, and I still have a fair bit to go, but I think I'm past halfway to where I need to be. I do cardio for one hour 5 days a week, and do a lot of long walking. I love being so active, and it feels good to be fitter than I've ever been before.
But, it feels like diabetes has taken over my life. 10 weeks in and all day every day is a battle with food. I'm fed up of thinking about what I can eat, and what I can't eat.
I'm never hungry anymore, my appetite has disappeared to the point where I often feel sick when I think about food and I often eat because I know I should, and not because I'm hungry.
I don't know whether this is a side effect of the metformin, or whether it's the low carb diet... because the foods I've been relying on most (meat, fish, eggs, cheese and some nuts) are the ones that make me feel the most nauseous.
I never finish a meal anymore... sometimes out of feeling full, but more often out of being so bored and fed up of food in general that I just can't eat anymore.
Even sugar-free jelly has started to repulse me :-(

I realised how bad this has become when I started reading the "festive" thread and had to click off because the talk of mince pies was making me feel sick (and I love everything Christmas).

This post is mostly a "getting it off my chest" exercise, because it's really difficult to share this stuff with non-diabetics.
But does any tips/ideas how to go about enjoying food again? Has anyone else been through this and felt their motivation sapping away?

hi, yes to alot of this, everyday being a struggle, being bored with the same old foods, especially the feeling sorry for myself, definatly sharing stuff with non diabetics and most of all the unsupportive partner or wife in my case, its very hard, today i got really great blood results and we just finished arguing over the fact im low carbing lol, i dont complain, i dont mind coming home and cooking my own dinner, i dont mind buying the junk food for the family when i shop but it gets my goat something awful that this actually upsets her anyway i digress

basically it comes down to this, we have 2 choices, live a less than perfect life, where food isnt our favourite thing any more or we live a really s**t life were we cant see properly or walk around anymore, i know you heard this before but it is the case, its ok to feel sorry for ourselves and its specially ok to moan to us on here, i actually think moaning is therapy for you and us as it makes us realise we are not struggling alone.

from what youve said you are doing amazingly well, and are on the right course, it was never going to be easy right, my only suggestion with regard to the food is try new stuff, make recipes, bake, i tried chinese five spice tonight on some veg, it was like eating a chinese takeaway it was amazing, try to mix it up, if jelly turns you off then dont eat jelly, not finishing your meals isnt a bad thing, if you were hungry enough to need it you would eat it, dont be hard on yourself, accept that this sucks and is going to be painful and most of all that its ok not to be ok from time to time but the alternative is definatly worse

i wished i could inspire you because it would be such a shame to give up as your doing great, i hope you feel better soon

best wishes
Andy

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm feeling a bit better today. Still feeling rotten after every dose of metformin, but have decided that I can afford to miss a meal here and there instead of forcing myself to eat something.
I've got some USN diet fuel protein powder, which is a low sugar low carb meal replacement shake. I've decided that it's not a bad thing to use that more, so breakfast today was a chocolate shake which I actually enjoyed.
I have a couple of pumpkins which are just about ready, so tea tonight (and probably lunch for most of the week), is going to be homemade spiced pumpkin soup and I'm going to have a go at making some cauliflower tortillas to go with it.
I think the key to it is little and often.

I've finally got the keys to my own allotment - I've been on the waiting list for years! So the rest of my day is going to be spent digging and planting bulbs for next spring.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had two separate issues with food which turned out to be pill related. In the early days I was prescribed 1000mg of Metformin per day and my appetite started to go away. It got worse when some foods began to taste like burnt plastic which turned me off even more. I checked the side effect list of all the pills I was taking and Metformin causes "Taste Disturbance". I reported this to my nurse who took me off them for two weeks and restarted them again at 500mg per day. The problem went away.

The other case involved statins. I am now regarded as intolerant of statins but not before they tried them all on me. One of them reduced my appetite again and matters got slowly worse until one day I sat down at the table, looked at my meal and had to run to the toilet where I dry retched for some time.

I don't know why you are off your food but don't forget the pills. They could be the cause.

TMG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Chocolate
Hi.

I really understand every heartfelt word you said. :thumbdown:

I too reached that point and a friend mentioned the hairy bikers cook books. so I bought the first one..Spanish chicken.. fantastic!
Its all calorie counted for you and most of the recipes and be divided down. I simply replace any sugars with sweeteners, rice for brown rice etc. But it went so well, not even my husband noticed.

So i,ve just bought their second one £8.00 at Tescos... even better, try the "fakeaways" they are as good as anything I've eaten in a restaurant...Plus I also made a 3 course dinner for friends (8) and got rave reviews.

Try them out on your partner, bake sweet treats and he'll gradually come round. The secret is to organize in advance so that when he says whats for dinner you already know so there's no opportunity for him to hit the local takeaway.

I work full time but this has really worked for both of us, even the other half has hit the cook books... It' fast becoming a hobby so my love of food is back, just a lot healthier.

PS: make sure you have a little something naughty now and again, you'll be surprised how little you'll need as your taste will have dramatically changed.

Take care of your health above all else, without good health the rest is rubbish!

:D

Tracey

richard256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being on call
HI SO SORRY YOUR HUSBAND IS BRINGING FOOD THAT YOU CAN'T EAT INTO YOUR HOME. IT SEEMS WE SHARE A PROBLEM OF JUST NOT WANTING FOOD, I'VE DROPED FROM 14'8 STONE TO 10'5 THIS YEAR.HOPE THINGS GET . BETTER FOR . YOU.TREAT YOURSELF TO A BOX OF CHOCOLATE.RICHARD

pipwizard

I have been battling type 2 for 3 years and lost 12st yes a lot still along way but Hun I've been a devil and cheated I think some people not saying you but some have to be nasty I think everything in moderation

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

TypeIIDieter

Use those test strips. A lot. You'll eventually get to know exactly how much you can get away with of any given thing. (The downside is that the cleverer you get at keeping your sugar within limits, the easier it is to put on weight!)

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for all your help.
The food issue was brought about by the metformin, and has now mostly passed. Although my appetite has returned, I have to say that I've got used to having a much lesser appetite thanks to having decent blood sugar control.