Long trips with diabetes

punkass

First of all hey all, my name is Aviv, 27 years old from Israel,
I have diabetes type 1 for about 10-11 years, my latest A1c check was 7.0.
I use Lantus + Humalog insulin.

In april 2014 I plan to visit India & Thailand for about 3-4 months.
How can I take full insulin supplies for 4 months and keep them in cool storage the entire time?
I don't trust the freezers over there, I want to be depended on myself in this type of countries...

I would appreaciate any help given
Thanks!
Aviv

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
Check before you leave, but you can probably buy anything you need over the counter.
Happy travels!
Glen.

punkass

Glen said:
Check before you leave, but you can probably buy anything you need over the counter.
Happy travels!
Glen.

Hey Glen,
What do you mean "counter?"
I don't want to buy anything over there because there will not be any place to buy it haha.
So my option is to carry the 4 months insulin supply with me.

mummy78

Re: R: Long trips with diabetes

punkass said:
Glen said:
Happy travels!
Glen.

Hey Glen,
I don't want to buy anything over there because there will not be any place to buy it haha.

That's exactly what you have to do and you have to "trust" their refrigetators :) It's the only way, I'm afraid. You can also carry your insulin with you in a sort of ice bag but you'll need a proper refrigerator now and then anyway.

And don't forget your consultant's medical certificate. You need to prove that you need insulin to carry it abroad :)

~ Arianna ~

punkass

mummy78 said:
punkass said:
Glen said:
Happy travels!
Glen.

Hey Glen,

That's exactly what you have to do and you have to "trust" their refrigetators :) It's the only way, I'm afraid. You can also carry your insulin with you in a sort of ice bag but you'll need a proper refrigerator now and then anyway.

And don't forget your consultant's medical certificate. You need to prove that you need insulin to carry it abroad :)

~ Arianna ~

Hey Arianna,

The problem is im not sure i'll have access to electricity 24/7 :(

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
Hi. I mean you can walk into a pharmacy and buy some. I have never been to India but have bought insulin in developing countries without problems. You have to have a back up plan is case you lose or damage it anyway.

mummy78

Hey Arianna,

The problem is im not sure i'll have access to electricity 24/7 :(

If you have a good ice bag you won't need electricity 24/7 but you'll need a refrigerator now and then anyway. You should try to plan your trip taking this need into account :)

In any case, as Glen said, why don't you learn all about insulin in India? Searching on Google :) Just in case ;)

~ Arianna ~