Heres another :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
have heard some awfull horror stories of people being out having a good time, having a hypo and mistakenly drunk, unable to speak properly, getting arrested and having monitor and insulin pens removed when in the local big house.
What if you were a pumper, so obviously they would know your diabetic but totally unaware of hypo dangers, signs etc. would they make you disconnect your pump due to the cannula being a sharp object, which I don't think are allowed in cells?
Not that I have or plan to be arrested.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

mummy78

Re: R: Heres another :)

Ehm...nice story :mrgreen:

2 important things :

1) Carrying always an identification tag (or official paper) with a gigantic writing like "I'M DIABETIC" . Clever people and clever cops usually check it before arresting someone! :lol:

2) avoiding excess and to avoid getting completely ****** and walking around all alone like a crazy maniac could help (and not only our diabetes) :mrgreen:

~ Arianna ~

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know my father was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving when it was a hypo.

I would suggest a ID band as uncool as it may be.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's a good question Brett but I don't know the possible answer, without insulin we would get ill very quick so can't see how they could insist that the cannula is removed, I know you pumpers have insulin pens as back-up supplies so would they insist that you use them in custody and take them away after injecting?........I wouldn't like to say :?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi brett .

Another question brett :lol:

Have heard the latest police protocol with any person arrested [if diabetic]
They will call the on call duty doctor in to check on them .

Still have to be processed in the system as all other arrested folk though .
With regards to removal of their pumps - I am not sure about ?
So wouldn't like to say here .

As mummy78 says best to try and avoid getting into a drunken state . [alcohol]
CARRY some form of ID upon you to explain your diabetes is beneficial .
So should a hypo happen you can have this upon you to show as proof - you are NOT drunk .

Hopefully the police training - includes diabetic pump users issues :?:
If it does NOT then it is still a concern ...

Anna .

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brett just said mistakenly drunk though, he didnt say ACTUALLY drunk. So having id will hopefully eliminate the confusion. But I guess we'll never know about pump removal or not until it happens to someone

mummy78

Engineer88 said:
I know my father was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving when it was a hypo.

I would suggest a ID band as uncool as it may be.

OMG :shock: I'm so sorry for your father. I can only imagine his panic.
But a policeman should check if a person is drunk or not (Breathalyzer) before arresting him/her :shock:

~ Arianna ~

mummy78

hale710 said:
Brett just said mistakenly drunk though, he didnt say ACTUALLY drunk. So having id will hopefully eliminate the confusion. But I guess we'll never know about pump removal or not until it happens to someone

You're totally right but I think that "avoiding excess" (especially with alcohol) could be a good generic advice for a diabetic person. Of course we are not monks (or at least not all of us :)) and drinking too much can happen. In that case I think it's better to be with someone we know very well and who knows our situation. This "someone" ( + ID tag) can also help us in case we get arrested by mistake ;)

~ Arianna ~

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are guidelines about pumps and custody.
I suspect the problem is more whether the police recognise the pump and apply the guidelines.

Guidance on THE SAFER DETENTION AND HANDLING OF PERSONS IN POLICE CUSTODY just mentions it:
Where the detainee has an insulin infusion pump in situ, this should
be left as it is and advice from a healthcare professional sought
urgently.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e-2012.pdf

The guidance to HCPS is contained within a more general guide on diabetes and custody.
It describes what pumps are (presumably a lot of police docs won't have come across one before)
It says that continuous supervision may be necessary until the person has been assessed.
It suggests that if the pump has a remote control then it might be possible for it to be kept outside the cell.
The HCP is told to check if the cannula may have been dislodged during arrest and to assess the risk of self harm (overdose or using the tube as a ligature) It mentions the possibility of there being other substances ie illicit drugs in the pump.
They have to send you to hospital if they suspect that!
http://fflm.ac.uk/upload/documents/1334659904.pdf
I've never actually seen a steel cannula but certainly teflon ones aren't sharp objects . The guidance just describes them as normally being soft plastic.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good info there pheonix!

Mummy78 I think not drinking excess is sound advice for anyone, diabetic or not! I've done my student years but I've always known my limits. Definitely more conscious of it since being diabetic though!

I had a medical alert band until I took an allergic reaction to it lol I've been trying to adapt it so my skin isn't in contact with the metal but no success yet! I carry an ID card all the time though and use a cheap silicon band when out running :)

mummy78

hale710 said:
Good info there pheonix!

Mummy78 I think not drinking excess is sound advice for anyone, diabetic or not! I've done my student years but I've always known my limits. Definitely more conscious of it since being diabetic though!

I had a medical alert band until I took an allergic reaction to it lol I've been trying to adapt it so my skin isn't in contact with the metal but no success yet! I carry an ID card all the time though and use a cheap silicon band when out running :)

;)
When I travel my parents ask me (after 28 years of diabetes type 1!!): have you got a paper or something to prove you are diabetic?
:roll: I've got an ID, a tag and a paper with my insulin pump instruction. What's next step? A brand with a hot iron on my forehead? :roll:

~ Arianna ~