Basal testing?

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I check I've got this right?
Eat, wait four hours start testing every hour or two throughout the night. Do I do my long acting at the normal time? Is it just overnight and then do quick acting as usual in the morning?
Thanks guys x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup that's it! If you go low then correct it and stop the test. Try again another night with a lower basal rate.

You're in good company, I'm checking my basal tonight too :)

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for that, I've never done it before.
How do you do the day? X

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DonnaC-T said:
Cheers for that, I've never done it before.
How do you do the day? X

I don't have a pump so the night is my concern. I've never tested during the day, but the principle is the same. Eat a meal. Wait 4/5 hours then start test. I've head people suggest only 4 hours at a time testing during the days as it's more comfortable and makes blocks easy to manage

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have a pump either. I ate at 7, so 11, 1,3, 5 and 7 here I come. I'll see you there lol

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well yes, every hour is better. But you have to be realistic overnight and so every 2 hours seems to be ok unless you're particularly concerned.

For example, if you think you're having dawn phenomenon you could increase to every hour from 3am onwards.

Or something like that anyway!

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure really. I'm doing it because I'm doing a carb course very soon so wanted to make sure basal is ok. My levels aren't consistant. Thanks so much for your help. Good luck with yours x

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish, I have absolutely no self control so I stick to lucozade, fruit juice or digestives.
I've spent the last 18 years being a very naughty diabetic but I'm trying so hard now which is including not eating 'just a little' of the good stuff as I'm a 'Pringle' and once I start I can't stop so its best I don't start.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At least you know that you're like that now and try to prevent it!

I buy the haribo kids packets. Around 15g each they're perfect for hypos. And you can't eat too many because the packet is finished!

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The stupid thing is I actually feel worse now but I know that if I'd have carried on I would have started getting complications.
Good luck tonight x

Eat a meal. Wait 4/5 hours then start test. I've head people suggest only 4 hours at a time testing during the days as it's more comfortable and makes blocks easy to manage