Help?!?

monster54

Hi all,

I need some help and advice for my father. He's an elderly gentleman, currently on 6 tablets of 500mg of metformin a day?

This seems a lot in comparison with others? I am seeing his dr tomorrow over incontinence issues and I am going to insist that the metformin is changed?

Does anyone else thing this dose is high? I want a good understanding before seeing the dr.

M x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi again Mrs Monster

i am as far away from an expert as its possible to be, i thought 2g or 4x 500mg a day was maximum but i may be wrong in fact i probly am, sorry no help here :(

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same as andy :)
Did think on meds 4 of these were max, then alternatives such as gliczade were added/substituted.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

monster54

Thanks guys,

Trying to tactfully get some kind of timeline from my dad and seems a lot of the problems started when dose was upped from 2 a day to 6.

Seems a large jump?

I will add it to my list of questions for tomorrow!

M x

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also as slow release version of metformin available, seems to agree better with some people from what I've read on here.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on 4 Glucophage (SR version of Metformin) and was told that was maximum. Then had Gliclazide added. Would query your Dad's dose with GP.

Good luck for tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

monster54

You guys....overwhelmed with your awesomeness!!!!

Quite possibly the dr is in aware of the change in maximum dosage!!!

Armed and ready! Will let you all know how I get on!

M x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I thought for SR anyway it was 2000mg max. Metformin also isn't ideal for the elderly unless regular (annual?)urine analyses are made as it can affect the kidneys (see the leaflet). Does your father measure and have his blood sugar under control? Metformin doesn't have a dramatic effect on blood sugar so if it was me I would be discussing reducing the amount with the doc and considering other tablet options if needed particularly if your father isn't overweight.

monster54

No he doesn't measure it. Is this something I should get the dr to show me how to do?! When is the best times to test?!

What levels should it be at?

This is all excellent advice, I will definitely feel more comfortable going into this discussion. My dad has a yearly diabetes check, does this involve a urine test?

M x

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should get a urine test at his annual review to check his kidneys reaction, if any, to the medication. Can you take a sample with you and ask doctor to test it. If nothing else it would set your mind at rest on another possible side effect.

monster54

Ok, seriously emotionally exhausted. Why do things have to be such a battle.

It got heated....very heated...there were raised voices. The dr insisted 3000mg of metformin is a safe dose despite bnf60.

I argued that this medication was upped massively with no review in place. I feel this is neglect on behalf of original dr. My dad is clearly vulnerable patient.

I would of expected a follow up appointment.

He still wanted to continue metformin and reduce to 2000mg.

I said no....we are not going backwards. Metformin sr at a minimum.

My dad has been suffering with diaorreha for at least 18 months but my rough calculations. I think he is dehydrated and malnourished.

Not to extreme levels but certainly to an extent.

He changed it. I have a prescription to collect. And he has an appointment to check hvb?!? Levels in a couple of months to see impact.

I cried with relief....

M x

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you. Many GP's seem to have very limited knowledge of Diabetes. I have many discussions with my diabetic nurse on low carbing although she does accept that is bringing results for me.

Hope it brings some improvements for your poor dad. He should be very proud of you.

monster54

I really do hope it does make an improvement for him.

Otherwise I will have well and truly barked up the wrong tree!!! I just want my dad back on form. The last few months have been hard seeing him become more and more recluse, and the not knowing why.

Fingers crossed, but at least they are reviewing it in 2 months not just leaving him to it.

M x

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The maximum dose of metformin was lowered because it was found that over 2000 mg a day made very little difference to blood sugar levels. I was on 3 x 850 mg (2550 mg) of regular metformin and have had it recently changed to 2 x 1000 mg metformin SR.

The two tablets your dad is on are probably the 1000 mg ones. I have got to go back soon to see what difference (if any) there has been to my HbA1c since reducing the dose.

monster54

Definitely 500mg tablets.

So will see what the 2 month review brings. I've taken him dinner 2 nights in a row and he has eaten with such enjoyment.

He has also commented several times on how much better his tummy has felt. Whether this is physical or psychological I don't know. Woud you notice a big difference in 48 hours?!?

Either way it is a positive step forward. Still struggling with mobility after the fall but I'm hoping a number of factors all coming in to play improvement should be the general trend!

Thanks for all your help!!

M x

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does your Dad take his Met with meals I find that if I have them in the middle of a meal (as if burying them with food ) they are a lot kinder on the tummy
CAROL