is glucogel any good?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
It's my last line of attack as it's expensive but if I have a bad hypo and glucojuice (close cousin I think) isn't bringing me back up I will take a glucogel and it usually works. I would also probably take it straight away if I found myself in a hypo below 2.5 - panic time!! Not very pleasant to taste but that's nit important. I always carry a couple if tubes with me as back up wherever I go. :thumbup:

colinmorrison

sounds good [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] Iv got the glucose injection but was looking for something I could take my self if I started a hypo and would work quickly. thanks for the info. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
when I had just been diagnosed and in hospital on the sliding scale, I started having a severe hypo. Sweat pouring out of every part of me. Was given glucogel which obviously worked, but tasted absolutely rank. Ever since I now have lucozade to treat any hypo/low. Few sips same job done. As it contains glucose, works alot better and faster absorbed than normal sugary drinks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've tried it but found the taste unpleasant and now use Jelly Babies instead, the good news is Glucogel is available on prescription unlike glocotabs and JB's. btw it works it just fine!

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have it on repeat prescriptions and like the taste of this but was told at hospital once not many people like it.

Dislikes
Hypocrisy
colinmorrison said:
I have recently found out that you can get glucogel to help if your starting to take a hypo. has anyone tried this and is it any good?

Hi I use Glucogel , as people have said .. it doesn't taste great , and hasn't got the nicest texture Imo , But it works and works fast . Also its free on prescription , handy sized for a pocket or bag if you're out and about.

Rockape671

I get it on prescription, but was told it was for emergencies when you weren't able to help yourself, someone could squirt it between your teeth and cheek and then rub to absorb it. No? Think I'll stick to the jelly babies myself. :D

iHs

Hypostop, Glucogel and Dextrogel are all absolutely excellent for rescuing diabetics from severe hypos as the liquid is able to be absorbed very quickly via the buccal lining of the mouth .

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glucogel and others don't have much glucose in them. 10g for glucogel, but the obvious advantage is where someone else needs to administer and you are unresponsive, as it can be squeezed into your cheek.
I take glucacon hypokit with me if going away with my family.
But for me, if i need something fast and self treated, it is always glucose tablets, jelly babies or Liquorice Allsorts as I prefer them and they are cheaper.
I almost always need more than 10g if low.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I think it's rank, but like others have pointed out it comes in handy if your unresponsive and someone needs to do something quick. Otherwise I'd rather just stick to lucozade :)

iHs

I agree..... no one in their right mind would like glucose gel but it does serve as a very good rescue remedy and usually enables people to be responsive enough to also be coaxed to drink a small amount of lucozade (babies drinking mug is good).

I don't tend to carry glucose tablets out with me as I don't like them and they don't dissolve in the mouth that fast so need to be chewed whereas jellybabies are easy to eat and work fairly quickly without being addictive. Sadly in the UK, I don't think there is a sweet manufacturer that has sought to produce a soft centre glucose sweet but even if one was produced, it would probably melt in hot weather temperatures so would most likely create a sticky mess.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I suppose the fact that glucogel doesn't taste very nice might stop you over treating a hypo, if you like the taste of Jelly Babies or Fruit pastilles say then there's a tendency to over-treat.

There's was one other thing that I was disappointed with, the end of the glucogel tubes are easily broken off if carried in a pocket, obviously they are designed that way for convenience when in an emergency but it no good when the gel ends up all over your clothes :thumbdown:

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Agree Noblehead - had many a sticky bottom bag :crazy: