getting low glucose symptoms

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys,
I am a newbee and this is my first post.

I was diagnosed T2 in July a few weeks after a period of great thirst and urination and almost a hypo one night when i was very ill and after eating 2 shortcakes felt fine and went back to sleep, the next day i realised I may be a diabetic and cut out all sugar, and reduced my fat and carb intake within 2 weeks I had lost a stone and saw my Doc when I got back to France, my tests were as follows.

16 July fasting 15.65mmol/L Ha1c 77mmoL/l 9.2%
18 July fasting 14.10mmol/L.

At this point I was given 3x500mg metformin.

30 July fasting 8.38mmol/L
20 Aug fasting 7.33mmol/L
20 Sept fasting 5.99mmol/L

Early Sept I bought a Meter, tested every meal etc. the usual eating to the meter, and have consistently kept my fasting readings down to mid 5s to low 6s.
I have also reduced calorie intake to about 1200 to 1300 and taken up walking and light weight training and have lost a total of 3 stone.
About a week ago I went to the Docs with a severe case of the metformin quick step, at first the met was ok a few rumbles down below but nothing major and the suddenly it was uncontrolable, so the Doc changed my meds to metformin embonate 700mg Stagid as opposed to met chlorhydrate. Has anyone heard of this before? there seems to be very little on the web.

That's a bit of history that brings me to the point of this post, today I felt like i had low glucose, dizzy blurred vision and hunger so tested at 5.3 before lunch so I ate 3 eggs on 2 toast glucose rose to 6 so then ate some sweets 2 bannanas an orange and 2 cereal bars and it then went to 6.9 1 hour on and quickly fell to 5.7 another hour later an then half an hour later back down to 5.3 and feeling dizzy etc. again, then ate 2 crepes with nuttella and it's gone up to 5.9.

Could the met cause this problem? or is it just one of those days?

Dislikes
Hypocrisy
bruciebonus said:
Hi guys,
I am a newbee and this is my first post.

I was diagnosed T2 in July a few weeks after a period of great thirst and urination and almost a hypo one night when i was very ill and after eating 2 shortcakes felt fine and went back to sleep, the next day i realised I may be a diabetic and cut out all sugar, and reduced my fat and carb intake within 2 weeks I had lost a stone and saw my Doc when I got back to France, my tests were as follows.

16 July fasting 15.65mmol/L Ha1c 77mmoL/l 9.2%
18 July fasting 14.10mmol/L.

At this point I was given 3x500mg metformin.

30 July fasting 8.38mmol/L
20 Aug fasting 7.33mmol/L
20 Sept fasting 5.99mmol/L

Early Sept I bought a Meter, tested every meal etc. the usual eating to the meter, and have consistently kept my fasting readings down to mid 5s to low 6s.
I have also reduced calorie intake to about 1200 to 1300 and taken up walking and light weight training and have lost a total of 3 stone.
About a week ago I went to the Docs with a severe case of the metformin quick step, at first the met was ok a few rumbles down below but nothing major and the suddenly it was uncontrolable, so the Doc changed my meds to metformin embonate 700mg Stagid as opposed to met chlorhydrate. Has anyone heard of this before? there seems to be very little on the web.

That's a bit of history that brings me to the point of this post, today I felt like i had low glucose, dizzy blurred vision and hunger so tested at 5.3 before lunch so I ate 3 eggs on 2 toast glucose rose to 6 so then ate some sweets 2 bannanas an orange and 2 cereal bars and it then went to 6.9 1 hour on and quickly fell to 5.7 another hour later an then half an hour later back down to 5.3 and feeling dizzy etc. again, then ate 2 crepes with nuttella and it's gone up to 5.9.

Could the met cause this problem? or is it just one of those days?

Good work on bringing your levels lower :) ..The symptoms you describe do sound similar to a hypo . Hypos are when blood glucose is Below 4 though , not above , even though you may feel hypo symptoms. When I was newly diagnosed { many years ago now) I experienced " false hypos" Basically your body is used to having much higher glucose levels so when levels start to become lower, closer to "normal" levels you can feel hypo although technically your'e not. Once your body adapts to more normal levels you will stop feeling " hypo" Id look on this positively .. it shows that you are managing your levels well .. even though it doesn't feel great when you feel "low"

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, welcome, you have done really well so far, im not an expert but have a question, why are you eating aload of **** when you dont feel too good? you arent going hypo so loading up on sugary junk food isnt likely to help, with all that im surprised your numbers arent through the roof, people may have a few jelly babies to treat a hypo, so even if you were hypo which your not eating a kids halloween bucket wont help you mate, i would seek medical advice as to why your not feeling too good, if it is a false hypo caused due to your body not being used to being at the right level you shouldnt treat it, your body will adjust on its own when your levels are stable, im not saying it is that but i am saying your not going hypo so stop eating the junk food, all you are doing is harming yourself and you will put the 3 stone back on

edit. sorry if i repeated some stuff, not as eliquently im sure :) and sorry for pretending i knew how to spell elliquent elequent elliquant pffft its a stupid word anyway

Geocacher

I have T2 and reactive hypoglycaemia.

Sometimes a having a hypo doesn't depend as much on how low your blood sugar goes but on how fast it drops. Metformin is unlikely to be the cause of your hypo symptoms. Reactive hypoglycaemia is, at least for some of us, one of the precursors of T2. And if your body has been used to high blood sugar then you may very well have a hypo at a reading of 5 rather than 4 or below. My threshold is 4.2 and I haven't had a GP yet that hasn't argued the point with me. We are all different and 4 is just a guideline when it comes to having a hypo.

Try keeping track of how quickly your blood sugar rises and falls after a meal by testing every half hour for a couple of days. Also ask your doctor to do a glucose tolerance test but a long test rather than the normal three hour test. In my experience few doctors believe that you can have T2 and reactive hypoglycaemia at the same time, but it is real and some of use do have both. The test will show it.

In the great irony of things, the most effective treatment is to increase your metformin dose and to take slow release metformin rather than regular metformin. I rarely have any side effects on slow release metformin despite the higher dose. You may also want to get your B12 levels tested because low B12 will make your BG readings more erratic and the symptoms of low B12 are often mistaken for side effects of metformin. If your B12 is in the bottom third of what the GP considers 'normal' ask for B12 injections or take a high dose B12 supplement along with a calcium supplement to offset how metformin disrupts the normal uptake of B12 by your body. You'll know in less than a week if it helps.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is me! I've been taken off metformin because of the symptoms of constant hypos. Readings lower than 4.0 is regular for me. It has been nearly 2 months since and have had less hypos because of the slow release metformin clearing my system. And my body normalising.
I am on a low carb diet and eat something wether a piece of fruit or something more substantial every two hours.
I am getting tested next week and hopefully something can be done. I have had these 'reactive hypo' symptoms for over a year and was diagnosed T2 over 5 years ago.

Bruciebonus, you need to be on a low carb diet. You may even reverse your diabetes if you get the right help.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Results are back, going to see an endocrinologist, night time hypos, low blood sugar etc.
Had another hypo in front of GP. She believes overactive pancreas.!!!