Feeling low

Pompeygirl

I have woken up today to a level of 9.3 i have been battling hard with the carbs to get my daily average down to just over 7. I feel very poorly with a bad cold and cough. Im tired and weepy. The relentlessness of all this has just hit me like a sledge hammer. I want to throw this monitor out of the window and eat muffin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

wendy52

Dislikes
Rude people
Foul language
most fruit
judgemental people
Hi Pompeygirl,
Keep ya chin up best ya can girl. I`m at that stage every day. All i want is summit nice t eat n i`m fed up and very emotional. I`m just learning what i can have and what i can`t n it`s blummun hard. I`m salavating at the thought of a muffin. My fav things are cake n chocolate n i`m getting bad cravings. I hope your day gets better. :)

wendy52

Dislikes
Rude people
Foul language
most fruit
judgemental people
Not me that`s for sure. I`m starving t death most of the time and a right pain in the rear with me moods n emotions. I should be on a piggin desert island on me own . I think it`s mebe the meds i`m on that are making me sooo low. (Glucophage). I dunno much about diabetes but i do know i can`t manage it.

louby

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry to read you are both down today, my teenage son has just been diagnosed 2 wks ago so I know what you are both going through. I have been told about the Daphne course which i think has been designed to allow you to adjust your insulin to what you eat, so maybe you could half half a muffin. My sons nurse has told him to let him rule diabetes not the diabetes rule him. I know this is hard as there are so many things you cant just go ahead and eat but swop for similar alternative, like muffin for maybe small tea cake, i know its not the same but at least you are having something. By cutting everything out totally is probs why you are craving things so badly so maybe finding a balance. Although I do not suffer from type 1 myself I am living it with my son so I do understand. Hope you both feel better soon x

Pompeygirl

Hi louby i am type 2 on metformin and so have to diet to control or try to! I dread to think what a muffin would do to me, thats one of the hardest things is the dread that any mouthful is going to ruin everything or set u back

WhitbyJet

Aw don't torture yourselves, try baking low carb muffins and cupcakes . They are delicious and won't spike your blood sugar.

wendy52

Dislikes
Rude people
Foul language
most fruit
judgemental people
Pompeygirl said:
Wendy i just ate bacon eggs and mushrooms and all joking aside i feel like i just ate caviar!
Ooooooooooooh Pompeygirl, sounds like heaven. I`m salavatin like a fountain here. I had weetabix coz i read it somewhere on here that that was a good breakfast t have. I am famished now mind so i`m gonna have a couple of dunky digestives (summit else i just learned i can have :D ). Oh how i need a list of snack foods that doesn`t include fruit, nuts or pulses, yuck *spit spit spit* mingin stuff ,lol. Have a good day. :)

wendy52

Dislikes
Rude people
Foul language
most fruit
judgemental people
WhitbyJet said:
Aw don't torture yourselves, try baking low carb muffins and cupcakes . They are delicious and won't spike your blood sugar.
Ooooooooooooow Whitbyjet that sounds like my kinda thang :D . All i need now is a recipe n mebe run t the shops t get the stuff :thumbup: . Thank you for that :D

wendy52

Dislikes
Rude people
Foul language
most fruit
judgemental people
louby said:
Hi, sorry to read you are both down today, my teenage son has just been diagnosed 2 wks ago so I know what you are both going through. I have been told about the Daphne course which i think has been designed to allow you to adjust your insulin to what you eat, so maybe you could half half a muffin. My sons nurse has told him to let him rule diabetes not the diabetes rule him. I know this is hard as there are so many things you cant just go ahead and eat but swop for similar alternative, like muffin for maybe small tea cake, i know its not the same but at least you are having something. By cutting everything out totally is probs why you are craving things so badly so maybe finding a balance. Although I do not suffer from type 1 myself I am living it with my son so I do understand. Hope you both feel better soon x
Hi Louby,
Oh man thats a heck of a thing for a teenager to get his head round. It`s bad enough with the hormones fleeing around his body let alone gettin diabetes aswell . Do you not mean the DESMOND course ? I`ve not heard of a daphne one but that doesn`t mean it doesn`t exsist. I can`t go on that yet. The waitin list is ridiculous so i can`t go til january next year. Anyway, i don`t know much coz i`ve not been diagnosed that long so i`m stugglin with what food to have and what not :crazy: . Oh i agree about cutting everything out creating a cravin but truth be told i`m scared in case me blood sugars go soarin even higher :( . I`m so longin to get this sussed out before to long and gettin on with me life instead of bein taken over by the constant thoughts of scrummy food. Have a good day :)

Morganator

Not sure if I should but if I get the munchies I make a mini cheese board and snack on that. I like to have 4 or 5 good tasty cheeses in the fridge.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using DCUK Forum mobile app

WhitbyJet

Here are a few links for you to explore loads of muffin/cupcake recipes and more.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=46262&hilit=carbfree+snacks

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47269&hilit=cupcakes

Chocolate Muffins

100 g ground hazelnuts

100 g ground walnuts

80 g melted butter

80 to 100 g dark chocolate (preferably 86%)

sweetener equiv to 1/2 cup of sugar

seeds from a vanilla bean (or equivalent vanilla extract)

120 g cream cheese

3 large eggs (or 4 small)

1 heaped tsp baking powder

Mix the nuts together. Melt butter and chocolate together over low heat. Whisk together eggs, cream cheese and sweetener, stir in the melted butter and chocolate, finally stir in the nuts, mix well.

Taste the mixture, you might want to add more sweetener. Fill into muffin cases, bake at 180 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes. Leave to cool before eating.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former moderator Louise b's Blueberry Muffins recipe:
250g ground almonds
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
vanilla essence/extract
a squeeze of lemon juice
150g unsalted butter , softened
15g of sweetener of your choice
2 large eggs
200ml greek yogurt or soured cream/creme fraiche
120g blueberries

combine the ingredients just as you would any muffin mix and divide mixture between 12 muffin cases and cook for about 25 mins on on 180.

savoury
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48313
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44186&hilit=quiche

Pompeygirl

Morganator that sounds lovely and tasty! I love cheese i will try that. And.. Whitbyjet i will try making muffins, its prob time i was a bit more adventurous. A lot of the feeling low comes from being stuck in the rut of eating safe food. I live on salmon and tomatoes

louby

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Wendy 52, yes its called "Daphne" the course although this one i think is for type 1 diabetes which my son has, the Desmond course is for type 2 diabetics. Other things to snack on are sugar free jelly with fruit in, malt loaf (1 slice) skips, baby bell cheese lights, if you really want a muffin just cut it into 3 and have a tiny piece. I feel its also about portion size, not just cutting everything out like you can never it eat again, you can but just a tiny bit as a treat. My son has adjusted really well, so far...... it is early days though, but i do know one of his friends who have been on the Daphne course and if they really want something as a treat, they will just adjust their insulin to the level required after calculating what is needed. I am all new to this though myself, and desperately seeking advise on this site.

sineadk

Oh girls. I am feeling low too. Sick of having to think about what to eat the whole time. I'm ashamed to say I woke up in the middle of the night last night and snacked on twix bars the mini ones but had 4, yes 4. I was so mad at myself this morning but it was like I was possessed but a fast food monster last night and thought if I do not eat them I will die. :oops:

samcity

I have been diabetic 14 years now, I have done the DAPHNE course (6 years ago), which will change your life, yes you can eat what you like, as long as you take the right amount of insulin, you will only be kidding yourself if you dont, take regular exercise, that way you wont crave to much 'junk', feeling low increases the need to comfort eat, high sugars will make you feel low, vicious circle.
in my opinion, enjoy what you like in moderation, being diabetic is not a sentence.
Enjoy a healthier you :D