Insulin pumps and watersports

Rosalyn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,
Just joined the forum, prompted mainly as my Diabetes treatments is about to change. I was diagnosed Type I nearly 3 years ago. I have been using Novorapid/Levemir pens for insulin. As I have been experiencing so many hypos, I am being moved on to a pump shortly. The question I have concerns watersports and insulin pumps and how people manage. I kayak and this usually means being on the water for several hours. My suspicion is that I'm going to have to trade up from a wetsuit to a drysuit - and a good quality one at that which has excellent seals - which is going to be costly.
Does anyone have any experience / advice / suggestions?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would specifically ask for the Animus Vibe as its waterproof - problem solved right? also links to a CGM if you wanted to self fund...

Rosalyn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,
Thanks v. much for that. It certainly looks the business! My pump has already arrived at the hospital, although I haven't actually seen it, and I'm guessing it's not a waterproof version. Poor student at moment, so absolutely reliant on what's given to me. If I ever get a decently paid job, it might be something to consider in the future.
Tks again for your input.

sw11bloke

i personally would opt for the Omnipod. Its small, can wear it in more areas and the pod is waterproof. I been on a tubed pump. Hated it.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I regularly kayak and dive as well. I have an animas vibe pump which is waterproof but before that I had an old d-tron pump which isn't waterproof. I used a small dry bag that I did up as tight as possible on a long tube then stuffed it down my sports bra. I wore a wet suit thermals and a decent dry cag. I found that that worked well enough, I not very good (even now 7 years later) so would regularly swim my roll is shocking and I usually just chicken out and pull my deck. It seemed to keep my pump dry enough, but at your own risk do it, as you'll have to claim on your insurance or buy a new one if anything happens, I did work quite well for me though. Dry suits are pricey and are a pain in the bum with all the rocks doing white water stuff they can quite easily tear whenever your swimming. Develop a good role and get a decent cag (my club always has some nicer ones tucked away so the freshers don't see, first come first served) a decent small dry bag will cost around a fiver. In fact if you were up in Aberdeen I'd just give you mine it's in my car boot pile. Good luck with your pump and have fun on the rivers.
Laura