Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi

I had this fitted last week and apart from making me feel uncomfortable I seem to be getting quite anxious and depressed, my BG seems to be ok but I am not feeling right at all. It just seems to quite a co-incidence that i've just had one fitted and i'm feeling like this - has anyone else experienced the same ?

Thanks.

Morganator

I've used a mirena coil for years and wouldn't cope without it. No heavy bleeding, no mood swings, no crippling cramps. Whoever invented it deserves a medal :)

Sent from my HTC Desire C using DCUK Forum mobile app

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I has one fitted for 3 years plus and I never felt 100% right with it in. Difficult to explain why as it stopped the heavy painful periods - in fact is stopped the period more or less full stop. I wouldn't say it had a huge impact but some of the discomfort I felt from time to time and the bad moods I always through might be down to the coil.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for the responses, I ended up going to the doctors today as I was feeling so anxious this morning and tired, he seemed to think that with my own body producing it's hormones combined with the effect of having this fitted may of contributed to my feelings and that I should give it a reasonable amount of time to see any benefit, I was told it would reduce heavy bleeding over time, but to be honest if this feeling continues i'll be having it taken out as the heavy bleeding is no bother compared to how i've felt over the last few days - also read about Erin Brockovich in the US fighting a case against Bayer the manufacturer on behalf of women who have suffered from the side effects of this being fitted - this didnt help in the slightest ! (Google is the most dangerous thing for anything medical..)

Netty70

Hi Hun
I had this coil and loved it didn't even have periods yippee
Sorry your having such awful side effects but hey give a few weeks to settle and you might be ok if not definitely have it out
I had mine for a long time until this year I changed docs and didn't get a call to say it needed changing so I was them told I could be pregnant at 42 and a daughter of 21 I don't think so lol
So got the all clear had it out and now have the injection every three months which is fab
Good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Juicyj
Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread...just wondering if you're still using the Mirena coil and if so...how you're getting on with it?
I had a bit of a nightmare with ladies problems last year and ended up having to have the copper coil removed for a while due to an infection brought on by the coil. I'm now looking at getting another one fitted. I had an appointment this morning to get a repeat smear to check whether infection has now cleared before going ahead but the nurse...whose type 1 daughter used Mirena coil without problems...recommended it very highly.
Personally...I'm very dubious about anything to do with messing with hormones...for that reason I gave up on the pill that was prescribed shortly afterwards as it played havoc with my blood sugars...so have been exercising EXTREME caution for many months now. I now also have a good handle on how things work...I know that the week before I'm incredibly insulin resistant...and during...incredibly insulin sensitive and although a total pain in the bum...I can work with it because I know how it works...so not really wanting to mess with it...but saying that...with my experience of the copper coil and infections...I'm not so keen on that idea either. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts and experiences are on the Mirena coil?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Natalie,

I tried it for a year and had it removed, I didn't like having it at all as it was releasing hormones which as we know can impact on our BG levels, it was for this reason I felt highly uncomfortable with it, I also suffered low moods and my insulin requirements increased - I had heard some women rave about it and others who couldn't bear it, personally as a type 1 I didn't feel reassured that this was a good move for me and felt much better, although it took my body a month or so to recover, I wouldn't ever try it ever again ! My doctor suggested next move would be a hysterectomy, but I am not sure about this either..:eek:

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Juicyj...think that's exactly what I needed to hear...I've always had my concerns about 'added hormones' and I know that my BG suffers the effects of them. Think I'll go back down the 'better the devil you know' route and get a copper coil again...and just put up with the more regular checks. Just out of interest...what method did you decide on in the end? Hysterectomy seems a bit extreme...not sure I'd like that either,

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been using one for over 10 years now (well, 2 actually, since they wear out after a while).

Marvellous thing - wouldn't be without it. Had it when an old-style copper coil led to increased bleeding. The Mirena has given me 10 years of miraculously light menstruation. Anyone with experience of 3 week long heavy flooding will appreciate my delight!

Re the hormones, I think you need to exercise a sense of perspective about it.
I have always been incredibly sensitive to synthetic hormones (pill, mini pill, progesterone tabs, etc) but those are HUGE doses compared with the Mirena.

The Mirena is designed to last for 3-5 years, and is the size of half a match. It contains TINY amounts of hormone, which are released very slowly over that time.

There really is no comparison. synthetic hormone by pill can feel like being run over by a steam roller.

My experience was that (having had 3 coils fitted by 3 different people) the comfort level of the fitting and for months afterwards depends ENTIRELY on the skill of the fitter. One left me shocked for hours, and spasmy for weeks. I was at the point of having it ripped out when it suddenly settled down. Another left me with a strange pinched feeling on one side, but again settled down (I think it was inserted lopsided). The third, fitted by a gloriously no-nonsense Asian lady consultant still practicing in her 80s, was so quick, gentle and efficient that I didn't feel it at all, either during or after.

I kind of think that most of the time when people have problems with coils it is the hamfisted fitting technique, not the coil itself! If they shove it in at an angle, or up one of the sides of the womb, it will never get straightened out. And of course finding a good fitter is simply the luck of the draw.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Natalie will PM you ;)

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think everyone has different reactions to different contraceptives, I know friends that have changed from one brand of pill to another because they weren't happy but another friend has gone the opposite way!

Personally, I don't want to introduce any more hormones if I don't have to so I decided to go for a hormone free method and had the 'normal' coil fitted. I went to a sexual health/contraception clinic for the fitting as I figured they'd have more experience than my practice nurse - it was very painful still but I've totally forgotten it's there since.

Reactions: 2 people

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It caused me agonising breast pain every month. My GP refused to accept that it was due to the mirena coil and put me on hormone patches as she said it must be due to peri-menopause. I couldn't bear to remove my bra, if I was walking down a flight of stairs I'd have to hold on to them!
Eventually managed to get her to take it out which was extremely painful and had a copper coil instead.
The breast pain completely disappeared, so I know for sure it was the mirena. I'm still a moody cow though!
They don't like taking them out once they're in due to costs. Copper coils are very cheap in comparison.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone...interesting to hear your experiences,,,given the effect that hormones normally have on me...I think I've decided to go with the copper coil again...in the 20 odd years of using it I've not had a problem with it until last year...so with regular checks hopefully it'll be ok this time round :)