New - Diagnosed Christmas with Diabetes type1

richmills

Hi,
Just over Christmas i was diagnosed with diabetes type 1, insulin dependant,
im 22, and it's come as quite a shock, as i am constantly playing and coaching sport
I was just wanting some advice/guidance on sport and diabetes.
How people go about it etc.....

Hope everyone is ok

chocoholic

Hi richmills and welcome to the forum. I can understand you are still in 'shock' mode at the moment. We've all been there. The good thing is that you've found this forum so early after diagnosis. You'll get lots of help here.
As for the sport, well, the forum has tennis players,cyclists and walkers who still enjoy an active lifestyle and probably most are actually fitter than before diagnosis, which sounds odd but I'm sure someone sporty will be along soon to confirm that to you and help reassure you that keeping active is one of the best things you can do to help control your diabetes.
All the best, choccie.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There are several famous diabetic sportsfolks, not least Sir Steve Redgrave.
Once you learn how, you'll find it is not much more than an inconvenience. Unfortunately. T1 is ALWAYS insulin dependent. Until they perfect Islet cell transplants that is.
If you are prepared for a lot of studying, I would recommend you get "Dr Bernstein's Diabetes solution"
this book is brilliant. It goes against much that is taught by the medics in this country, but IT WORKS.
Bernstein is a doctor and a T1 diabetic from childhood. He knows the practice, Not just theory.

ally5555

have a look at runsweet.comit is a website designed for those who take part in sport and are diabetic. I am a sports dietitian and would rec you get some advice from a dietitian who has some experience - ask your own dietitian. I have a no of clients who are diabetic and run , cycle etc

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome to the forum,
i cant help on sport but i am type 1,
keep asking the questions :D

bigredruss

Hi Rich, welcome. i'm also t1 but 39 and don't play sport but do a physical job. it was really tough for me at first, but with good diet and control you will cope just fine.