Pump upset

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Just been offered the pump for my daughter to start December.she was so excited until .......they true to put it on her belly ! Tears and a tantrum of "forget it ! I'm not having it " . I'm so sad now as we were really looking forward to just one injection every 3 days and being able to eat when she wanted without injecting.she hates the idea of her stomach or back having a injection in it,she can't explain why ?shes nine . I really want to help her make a informed choice,any idea's ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most pumps can be put on thigh or buttocks can't they? Surely she could still have one as long as she rotates those sites properly

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
She thinks the thigh is her bum !she will not speak about it now I've asked about the omnipod staying on her arms but nurse said even that will need rotating to her belly/back. I'm hoping I can change her mind if not maybe something for the future. Love to just say "your having it " but its her body and she needs to be comfortable with it I just no it would make her life a lot easier

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where does she currently do her injections? I'm sure if you drop it for a while she might come around to the idea, even if it's a year from now.

I'd love a pump so send her one up to me instead ;) haha!

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Shell,
sorry to hear you are having a rough time. A pump can be put anywhere you can do a injection, most people start off with the tummy as it's the most common place people feel like injecting and it is apparently the quickest absorbing point. Ask your dsn to see if she can give you some sets to take home to have a play with. see if you can get your daughter to put one on you (don't flinch or make a fuss even if it does hurt) don't push it either if doing anything with a set causes a fuss put them to one side and try again later. Maybe she could see you put one in another family member? I would try and make it so she feels in charge and it's her descion to do it even if she is gently persauded to. Also you can get lots of different types of sets ones that are the ones where you just push a button and others where you angle it in gradually yourself. I don't know why but I've always found them a bit less threatening than the push a button ones doesn't make any sense but it's whatever you're most comfortable with, they also can come in multicolours as well if that would help any, might make it feel a bit less medical if possible. I've found that it's sometimes better for the child to do it themselves then it's their decision it just might take a bit of time. the less stress around it the better.
Good luck,
Laura

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Haha hale ill tell her lol
She normally has it in her arm and leg at night that she cries about as it stings

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi pumppimp ,I'm seeing the nurse for her hbac1 on fri so ill ask about taking a set home ,tonight I'm going to write out a pro's and con's sheet and let her write out her worrys .her injecting me a good idea that's what we did when she was first diagnosed . The pump with the wire we were told cant go on arm so the omnipod looks our best option although she will still need to rotate to her belly sometimes ,argh so stressed.such a positive has turned into a big negative for its such a shame x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The omni pod can also be used in the leg. So that is 4 sites to nice it around to. Would she consider that?

Pros and cons make sense and if you're able to have a play with some sets for her to get used to that would be a bonus! Slowly slowly is probably key with this. The fear of the unknown is a big thing, especially when you're only 9!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi shell, sorry to read this must of been upsetting for all. Good advice already but pump can be worn on arm as myself and other.pump users do. Can get shorter tubing to be worn on arms with a suitable pump pouch holder and a strap that threads through the back of the holder, or, tubigrip can be used as an alternative. This is with the accu chek combo pump.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
That's the one were looking at Brett so why they saying she can't have it on her arm ? Could she have it on her arm all the time and just swap site each time ? It's prob going to be too big though on her tiny arm even the tiny omnipod looks big , how long did it take you to get your bloods ok ?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure why they would say not arm, tbh, I find that the easiest place to have it as its strapped on, leads tucked away. Handy to have a bit of help from the mrs though to connect, disconnect if needed. As the cannula goes in the back of the arm. I can put the cannula in fine but if needing a shower bit of a struggle without stretchy arms to temp disconnect from cannula. Took a few weeks to get ok levels, but a few months to get fine tuned. Alot of testing, recording, adjusting at the start. Still get the odd high/low but more often than not am between 5~8.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Ok thanks Brett, ill ask again Friday about the arm as I really don't want to pass this good opportunity up

faeoj

ask her to hold a piece of ice on her belly until it melts then let her inject! it makes it numb and gives her a chance to prepare for it! this was my mums favourite trick as I too hated it in my stomach! she might come round once she's had a think x

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Shell,
I would keep asking why not the arm, a lot of pump users have it in there arm, if she's fine to inject there she should be fine with a cannula in. It may just be because her arms are so small that they aren't happy about using it there, Stick a post on the parents part of the forum there's a few who have pumps on there ask if any of there kids can wear it in their arms. Omnipod might be a good idea as when I have my pump on my arm I usually tuck it in my bra or have it strapped on my arm it might be a bit to bulky strapped to her little arms. make sure sites get changed regularly as she will have it for the rest of her life, keep the scaring to a minimum, but I'm sure once she's up and running she'll have more confidence and will eventually take over putting everything together and trying new areas like her tummy.
Good luck with it all.

MattiesMum

My 7 yr old son has had a pump for 18 months now.
We really like it and it makes so much easier as he can eat what he wants when he wants.
This has been a godsend as he has always been a picky eater. tea times used to be very stressful when we were using insulin injections. :O(
My matthew is fine wearing the pump . He tends to have the cannula for the infusion set in his bottom . he says that's where it's most comfortable and it is quite discreet here.He also sometimes has it in his thigh or his belly. He has never been keen on the cannula change so it wasn't long before i started getting anaesthetic cream on prescription for this. We use Emla cream which is applied and left for an hr to work with a Tegaderm dressing over the top. This makes the set change much easier for matthew but the hr wait can be a bit of a pain if I'm changing set because bs has gone high. I have been thinking of trying the anaesthetic spray which works instantly.
Could this be something your daughter can try. I'm sure the nurse will let you have some of the cannula equipment and you could arrange a prescription or even buy the cream and dressings to try as well.

bossie

Hi,

I always disliked injecting in my tummy and mainly rotated between my arms and my thighs. When I went on an insulin pump I was told, like you, that I must not insert the cannula in my arms - I asked the reason and she couldn't give me a decent one, she just said that they discourage pumpers from injecting in arms. Now i've been on the pump for 4 months and always use my arms and thighs - i've used my tummy once but find it more comfortable on my arms and thighs - it's us wearing the pumps not them, and it works just as well in the arms and in my case, it seems to work even better. What the DSNs don't know, won't hurts :)

I really hope your daughter comes around and decides to give it a go, it has made my life so so so much easier and I wish more people had the opportunity to use an insulin pump.

iHs

I enquired with the pump dsn and the pump rep as to whether I could insert infusion sets in my arm and was told best not to as I haven't got a great deal of meat anymore now that Ive got older.

I do think that if infusion sets had 4mm cannulas or steel needles, more diabetics would use their arms instead of tummy, backside and legs. Sadly, none of main pump companies have thought to produce 4mm cannulas (for children?) and only produce them in 6mm being the shortest. Emla cream is not the only numbing preparation..... there is also Xylocaine spray which is used to numb earlobes for ear piercing and there's also good old frozen bag of peas which works within 5 mins and is available right from a fridge.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the advice and about numbing creams and gels.we went to see nurse fri and she said no arms because she is so skinny and also she can feel the start of a insulin lump where she has injected too much she has also lost a bit of weight which there worried about but she has admitted she didn't always eat when hungry cos she's sick of injecting other than meal times so there sending her to see someone who can talk to her about her feelings and she's so anxious.her hbac1 ? Has gone up from low 6's to 7.3 which is not to bad.my friend has with type 1 and a pump who Chloe has been texting and has offered to come an meet Chloe to see her put her pump on her belly and answer any questions which I think will really help if she sees it for herself and I'm so gratefull someone we don't no has offered to take time out of the own busy life to help my little girl .thank you all for your replies they have been very helpfull x

iHs

Lots of children and adults hate multi injections and many dont comply and become ill. The world doesnt need to revolve around mdi, twice daily insulin is still available and although it doesnt allow for eating varying amounts of carb, many feel much happier.