Low Carb - good result!

Hazehkm

So bit late in posting but last week I had my appointment with the diabetic nurse. A while ago she gave me 3 months to try managing this by diet alone. The result? I'm 3 and a half stone lighter, my blood levels are NORMAL - and I've been told I don't need any meds! I'm thrilled to bits! The nurse actually said she wished she could get me in front of the rest of her patients as inspiration! Certainly made me feel good!

So to those who are wanting to try managing this by diet alone - go for it! What have you got to lose? You can totally do it - and even if you still need a little help with medication, chances are it will be less, you'll look great and feel amazing and all the additional risk factors will be reduced... it's all positives! It doesn't have to feel restrictive - my diet is delicious, healthy, and I feel so much better on it - I enjoy it!

Go for it! :)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Superb news!! :thumbup: Well done !! :clap:

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Good stuff well done you[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

manc603

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's great new congrats :D :D

I was tested on 1st October and had the diagnosis on 18th October on diet and exercise only. Levels at diagnosis were a fasting test of 10.4, Hba1c of 69 (8.5%).

Since last Friday I stepped up my exercise and moved to a low carb diet.

Waking levels came down gradually and are now at 6.1 and after exercise I am about 5.2.

I'm hoping I achieve the same results as you in a 3 month test....providing that at my first nurse appt next Thursday she doesn't force tablets on me straight away.

Hazehkm

manc603 said:
That's great new congrats :D :D

I was tested on 1st October and had the diagnosis on 18th October on diet and exercise only. Levels at diagnosis were a fasting test of 10.4, Hba1c of 69 (8.5%).

Since last Friday I stepped up my exercise and moved to a low carb diet.

Waking levels came down gradually and are now at 6.1 and after exercise I am about 5.2.

I'm hoping I achieve the same results as you in a 3 month test....providing that at my first nurse appt next Thursday she doesn't force tablets on me straight away.

Well done with your results and on adjusting your diet and exercise! :D If you are having success with your diet and exercise then don't be bullied into going on meds just yet. Tell the nurse what steps you have taken, explain the results and say that you would like the opportunity to bring it under control yourself using diet and exercise. That's what I did - when I saw the nurse the first time following my diagnosis, I had already started low carbing and exercise and was already showing results. So I said to her "look, I'm committed to doing this, give me 3 months, test me after that, if it's not working then fine, I'll take the meds but I want to try it this way first". She saw I was serious and she went with it.

At the end of the day it's your body; you're making a conscious effort to bring it under control yourself, so to my mind you should be given the opportunity to run with that and see if it helps before going down the medication route. Keep your low carb diet interesting - that's the key - after a while you don't even miss the starchy carbs, and your body learns to enjoy and look forward to a lighter and fresher diet. If I eat starchy carbs now it feels like a lead weight in my stomach. Go for it - I feel amazing doing what I'm doing, and I have wayyyy more energy to work out, I can work out much longer than ever before. Good luck! Let me know how you get on. I'm a strong strong believer in attempting to manage conditions naturally before filling the body full of drugs, so if you can do it, that's fantastic! :D

manc603

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and thanks for the advice :D

I'll let you know how I get on next Thursday.

These are great forums and the people here are very kind, so thanks.