Only really just taken notice of my condition

asbo

Dislikes
Ppl telling me what to do
Well i've been diabetic for 19 years, and am not been a good one either. Head in the clouds all this time hasn't done me any good really, but its never to late to change is it, and i am tryin to change for the better. Would like to chat with Type 1's about the up's and down's of been diabetic, Not really know what to put here.

moom1973

Dislikes
Being unhappy
Hello,

That about sums up where im at as well, 23 years without bothering at all and now at that point where I know I've gotta sort myself out. Looking at your profile you must of been around same age as me when you got type 1 (17) don't think theres ever a good age to get it but at that point of your life for me at least is when all around you are out getting drunk and doing pretty much what you like, I didn't have the knowledge to know how to look after myself back then and that's been pretty much the story of my life until very recently, I basically took my insulin without knowing why and what I was doing, i'd have hypo's and just deal with them but most of the time my bloods must've been very high. I had the odd periods where i'd start to take note and tried to get to grips but was just caught up in being as normal as possible just to fit in with everyone else, in fact I dare say most around me barring my close mates and family didn't even know I was diabetic.

So here we both are and im pretty sure many, many others too who have followed a similar past, its not gone away but time to start getting things in order again....You're very right, its never too late, so your not alone i'm gonna be doing the same thing myself. Not gonna say it'll be a doddle because I know only too well how flipping hard it can be at the best of times but I wish you well and if you wanna keep in touch and share a few stories or how your getting on please feel free.....

All the very best,

Steve

BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Seem my signature! :)
What do you want to know? I'm 40 years old, been diabetic for 37 years, and whilst I've had my 'off times' (not eating right, despite controlling my blood sugar), I'm now pretty fit, and have HBa1C of 6.2.

I can tell you pretty much what you need to do in any situation - I've studied diabetes to a ridiculous level as my son is Type 1 diabetic too. Ask away!

manda pops

Dislikes
spiders, football, topgear
hi guys, i feel exactly the same as you altho i was 9 when i was diagnosed and mum done it all the i became a teenager and ignored it. suffering now as i cant get it into control i cant win and im trying my best its just not good enough may aswell go back to ignoring it as i was happier.

can i as you some questions BigRedSwitch what insulins do you take. im on humulin i backgrounda and novorapid fast acting and my sugars are up and down and i just dont know how much insulin i should be taking. high everymorning i notice it rises during the night.

thanks peeps x

moom1973

Dislikes
Being unhappy
Hi Manda,

Although a question to 'Bigredswitch' im on Novo rapid and Lantus, my sugars were going high in the evening and when I woke up as well, I did a few Basal tests and after attending a DAFNE course recently it was thought my Lantus wasn't lasting the full 24 hours and more like 18, I was taking just 1 shot of Lantus before bed each night so during the evenings my Lantus was running out and pushing my blood sugars up. Im now on 2 split shots of Lantus (1 morning and 1 before bed) this seems to of done the trick now and my bloods seem much better....Everyones different though so im just giving input on what seems to be wrking for me at the moment x

asbo

Dislikes
Ppl telling me what to do
Hiya Manda, I was the same high blood sugars during night and when i woke up in a morning. I am on Novorapid and was on Humulin which was only lasting 18 hours at most, now for the last few months i've been on Lantus and i take alittle less units and my bloods are around 5 in a morning now, that was the problem with me, maybe your the same? Not sure about having to have 2 injections of Lantus defeats the idea of long lasting insulin.

Moom1973 yes i was 17 yrs when told had diabetes and was abit of a shock as am the only one in the family who has it, ive gone though years of egnoring it, but now i have a son had to sort myself out if not for me, for them as i want to see them grow up. I had a app with Diabetes Doc other day and he said best ive ever been which made me proud for sorting my health out.

Scott.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
asbo said:
Well i've been diabetic for 19 years, and am not been a good one either. Head in the clouds all this time hasn't done me any good really, but its never to late to change is it, and i am tryin to change for the better.

No your right Asbo, better to make the change now than let things continue as they are! :)

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ditto to what Noblehead said. Make the change now before complications set in.

manda pops

Dislikes
spiders, football, topgear
defo gotta look after ourselves life is too important. i have started getting eye complications through this and it has made me realise big time what is important.

i take 2 injections of humulin so as it only lasts 18 hours altho i have dropped my night time dose and surprised to see that my sugars are around 8 not 18 in the morning now. how weird eh. hopefully this are on the up for me and i see good results for the next years haha x