Medtronic or animas

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Does anyone have either the medtronic or the animas pumps whic one do u prefer and why?? I am not bothered about the waterprooof aspect just how the screen looks in different lights as i have been told the animas is difficult in bright light. And the resovior size and battery life also ease of use how easy is it to use and whether the buttons come off easily (again animas buttons weari g down)

I know they come in different colours and the medtronic comes in 2 sizes is there much or a size difference in size between medtronic and animas. I am leaning more towards medtronic but i would like everyones opinions please as its a 4 year thing .

Loves to you all x x x x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I have the Medtronic, 754 which I believe is the smaller one. I didn't look at any other pumps, so I can't give you a preference over the others.
But I love the Medtronic, easy to use, the Contour USB Link Meter has just come out which I'm a big fan of.
Medtronics customer service is brilliant and I'm very, very happy with them as well.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I'm with lucypieee on this one. I didn't get the choice of pump but totally happy with my Minimed medtrnoic pump in terms if look, feel and ease of use. Battery lasts about a month and has all the usual features eg. Low reservoir alert, check BG alert, missed bolus alert etc. I find it easy to use the buttons too. I wish it would have an auto lock feature say after being in-active for 10 mins but hey that's a small gripe.

iHs

From looking at the websites, the Animas Ping is about the same as the Vibe. The Ping has different coloured skins for the pump but needs to be purchased from USA as the Ping was never made available in the UK. The pressing of buttons will over time make the rubber covering wear away or weaken the buttons ability to control the pump but a rubber skin more or less gives some protection. For me I like the Animas even though I have not got it as it can be used with any bg meter whereas the other pumps need to be paired with a certain bg meter. The bright sunshine daylight thing happens for all pumps and to see the screen clearly, shade needs to be found even with Medtronic.... a pair of sunglasses comes in handy.

At the moment Medtronic are offering a very deal on the cgm sensors but its only for new pumpers who have never used cgm unfortunately. |I have had Medtronic cgm sensors in my tummy and although ok, cant say that I like them that much as they need a lot of tape over them to make sure that they don't come off whereas the Dexcom cgm sticks better and needs less or no tape.

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Yh i have been told by every american pumper get a dexcom!! I may self fund that as its cheaper than the medtronic ones but get a medtronic pump as the medtronic sensors (enlite are they?) Are no where near as accurate

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
You can use any meter with the Medtronic, there are only two meters that link via Bluetooth to it though... Until I got the contour next USB Link I was manually putting in my BG results from the normal next USB as I didn't like the Contour link meter.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

Juls_reid

I never got the choice and was initially told I'd be getting a Medtronic but actually got the animas vibe. I was disappointed because I'd read up about the Medtronic and a rep had given me her contact details and was very helpful. There is no rep for animas. I've had my pump for 18 months and already notice the buttons are less sensitive than when it was new. I also found the instructions very hard to follow. There are things I new my pump could do but could not work out how to do them! Also when I first got my pump they could not upload it at my clinic as they didn't have the correct software which really annoyed me. However animas do supply batteries for your pump which is handy. I think if I'd been given the choice I would have went with the Medtronic. Julie.

WILCOMAN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started on the Medtronic and had it just over 4 years without any problems, Then decided to change to the animas vibe with the dexcom sensor but have found the screen very soft and scratches easily and its just not as easy to use as the Medtronic.
BUT the only thing that would stop me returning to Medtronic is customer service as they are truly appalling so I will stay with animas for the time being hoping Medtronic introduces better customer service people.

terdev

Hi all

This is my firt time posting on this forum, i would value any info or advice you can give me.

My 6 year old son was Diagnosed Type 1 in August. It has been an incredably emotional and stressful experiece for the whole family.

He will be getting a pump next month and we have been offered 2 choices, Animas or Medtronic.

We are torn between which one to go for.

Everyone we have spoken to so far is on Medtronic. I believe this is mainly due to the fact that the NHS trust we are based in reccommends Medtronic, so most patients go with their reccomendation. Plus the staff in the Trust are trained how to use Medtronic, but i don't beleve they have had any training on Animas.

I have only met one person using Animas, who happened to be a diabetes consultant in another NHS Trust who also had Type 1. He swears by the Animas. He also said the CGM kit is cheaper and only has to be changed every 6-7 Days, the medronic CGM set has to be changed every 3 days

Could anyone out there give me a reccomendation of which pump to go for and why.

PS the Animas being waterproof is not that important to us.

Thanks very much

T

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Terdev,
I'm on the animas vibe and before that was on the 2012, been with animas now for 5 years and pumping for 7.5. I really like the animas, in fact I don't have any problems with it. My button started to stick but I just phoned up the company and got the pump replaced. I've always found the customer service really good and the pump for me is really easy to use. The drawbacks of it are though that it doesn't have a remote which means you have to get it out every time you want to do something with it, which may be annoying with a young child although doesn't bother me in the slightest I can do the audio bolus if its tucked somewhere secure. The thing someone else said about the screen it does easily scratch but the give you a rubber lens to glue over the top and they give you a rubber skin to protect it as well. Good points, it comes in nice bright colours and so do the skins, my pump is pink with a purple skin. it's waterproof which may not be that important now but is so handy going on holidays and doing fun things that last longer than an hour. the main selling point for me at the moment the waterproofness and now the CGM. the G4 is the most accurate sensor available on the market it also lasts for 7 days based on the manufacturer guidelines but a lot of people keep it on for longer and reattach sticky stuff. I would recommend the animas but then I've never been on the Medtronic but then it's not waterproof or got a cgm that's as accurate as the G4. There are some parents with younger kids on pumps on the parents bit of the forum, maybe worth an ask on there as well? They might be able to give you some tips on starting the pump as well.

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
The new enlite sensors are 7 dAy wear now for medtronic down in devon they recomend the animas for the same reasons urs does with animas

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
"Gosh I never realised that you could speak yr bolus to the vibe. "
typo or am i too sleepy this morning? Also saves me replying twice where can you get skin tac I asked in the pharmacy but they hadn't heard of it?

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can i ask a question here?
Did any of you not consider a tubeless pump?

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Omnipod,
I didn't consider the tubeless pumps for a few reasons mainly personal nothing to do with how good they are. 1) Although the pod is water proof the pdm isn't which is awkward for me if I'm on a rib in choppy conditions comming back from a dive to bolus etc. 2) I would have to completely waste a pod if I was doing a dive on a rib isn't the best place to stick new sets etc in very cold wet windy etc. 3) you have a pdm which knowing what I'm like I would loose or break very easily if it's not attched to me it's not safe. 4) i don't like the idea of having a lump poking out from under my clothes my pump is generally well hidden as my infusion set is completely flat aganist my skin, this is the main worry I have about the CGM. 5) I really want a CGM (G4) which is the most accurate and reliable on the market at present which happens to sync with my pump so I don't need the PDM bit for that. It's also waterproof as well.
if none of that mattered to me I would go with a tubeless pump, the other thing is most people have had to fight for years to get the funding for any pump so usually just go with whatever ones their care team already support. The omnipod isn't in as much use as the main big 3 accu check medtronic and animas which then further inhibits it's use as many hospitals will only stick to what they know. It's a shame really i would like to see something like the omnipod but really small which has the dual insulin and glucogon delivery with a built in CGM would be an ideal for the future lots of hoops to jump through first though.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be on a Medtronic for 4 years them moved to Omnipod. The pod is so small and is only 1.5cm thick so doesnt stick out at all. The pod is wterproof. I doubt youd waiste a pod if you came out the water then tested or bolused. With the Omnipod...the pdm is your glucometer so only 1 item to carry around. With a tubed pump you have the pump and the glucometer.
Its great your happy with your pump.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pod is wterproof. I doubt youd waiste a pod if you came out the water then tested or bolused.

Just meant that you have to completely detatch from the pod as it's electronic and you can't dive with it on(something to do with the pressure) so would have to completely remove it. As I'm in the water for at least an hour a lot of the time and can then have a least a 45 mins rib ride back to shore it's not practical for me to take a pod off and attatch a new one on a small rib. It's a lot more practical for me to detach from my tube pump and reconnect it when back on the rib so I don't go DKA. especially when your in a dry suit in the north sea or atlantic.

whittsb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live in Canada and use the medtronic Paradigm pump. Service is very good and the pump works well, no problems with the buttons, has good battery life and the fact that it is not waterproof is not a problem for me. I have a CGM but no longer use it as CGM is not funded here and they are so inaccurate that I do not feel that it is worth the cost. Just check my CBG before and after meals and at bedtime and also before and during exercise. Lots of finger pics but al least I know the results are accurate. Pumps good, CGM not.