hounded at work

Mossleyman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have continuing problems at work with my medication especially needles.

Having agreed to use a room which has been provided for my daily lunchtime injection,
folk in the office have now complained about me finger pricking at my desk. I maybe
doing this as much as three times in one day.

This is very unfair I feel and amounts to being hounded at my work because of my diabetes.
What are my rights on this considering I may go low once or twice a month and therefore
it would be a hazard to move from my desk to test my blood. I already have a small fridge
closeby my desk with orange juice in it ?

Are there any Health & Safety at Work guidelines on this given the reality that I sit maybe
four yards from my closest colleague ?

Thanks a lot

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
i think this is so unfair that people are moaning at you for something you cannot control and have to manage at all times.
especially if you have a designated room you can go to and not disturb anyone.
what are you collegues saying?
maybe you can go to your line manager or HR?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
People shouldn't be watching what your doing anyway, so in a way it's there own fault!!

drumming_blitz

As already suggested you should speak to HR and your line manager about this. Just tell people to look away if they don't like it, I always give people heads up when doin anything, even in my own home.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may be a little thoughtless in this case. How far is the room that has been provided for your use. Are you doing your test in a manner that may make other people in your workplace feel queasy.

It also sounds as if your management team will ensure every care will be taken to meet all required guidelines at the workplace for all their employees.

This would be my first steps to look at, rather than being to harsh at this early stage.

Best of luck when you highlight this issue.

Roy.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Nasty situation , I would be straight on to HR about this. It's not as if you squirting insulin on your colleagues , unbelievable they are complaining. I inject and do blood tests in my office (shared with 10 others) , only once have I been asked what i am doing and my answer was **** off mind your own....

H

Hooked

Heaven forbid any of their children or close relatives (or themselves!) end up with T1 diabetes or they are ********.

baz2107

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thats absolutely ridiculous, I share an office with 3 others including the 2 directors, I finger prick and inject insulin at my desk and they have no issue at all, they all know I am diabetic, they also have a spot in the kitchen on top of the cupboard to keep a sharps box. The only time I will not inject in the office is if there are visitors and I find somewhere quiet. I would speak to HR, or tell the moaners to go forth and multiply

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like a horrible group of colleagues! I test and inject at my desk and there are probably 30 or more of us in the office. I try to do it discreetly, but I certainly wouldn't let what other people think stop me. There is a senior manager who is scared of needles and obviously I wouldn't inject in front of her, but she has told me that if I need to inject and she's around just tell her and she'll look away. Really, there is no excuse for the way your colleagues are behaving in my opinion.

Smidge

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Your workplace has to make "reasonable adjustments" under The Equality Act". This is open to interpretation. I'm not sure how far the area is where your employers have provided for you to inject. However, if it is fairly close by, I would say they have been reasonable. Can you not test there too ? May not be the answer you want to hear but with diabetes and work, it's a bit of give and take. I think the attitude of your colleagues though is pretty poor. Good luck !
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mossleyman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I appreciate all your sympathy and support on this. Sadly my manager is totally unmoved
and is waiting to see what 'Health & Safety' will get for him. I have contacted Occupational
Health. I don't think my manager has a clue about a Diabetic low or how quickly I might need
to perform a blood test.

Strange thing is I was pricking my finger for around four years in the office yet now I am being
denied the liberty to do so. I will not be lying down on this matter believe me !

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What a disgrace. I can only hope that one day people like that realise what it's like to live with a chronic disease that consumes your daily attention only have to suffer the effect of complete and utter plonkers like them. Idiots.

Rockape671

Your work colleagues are a bunch of numpties, but, if your employer has provided you with a private room for you to use as and when, I don't see what other 'reasonable adjustments' they can make. Unless you can only use the room at certain times. Are you not a member of a union? Mine's trying to take my employer to tribunal for me.

nicolan6534

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG I feel infuriated and outraged for you! Your colleagues are being soooo childish. I wish you the best of luck in getting this resolved.

fractureman

I'd raise a formal grievance about it. I test & inject in the canteen at work with no problems. All colleagues know I am diabetic. I don't openly make a point of testing/injecting in front of others & when new colleagues start they do ask what I'm doing.
Join a union & get a union rep on board for the grievance hearing ;)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Without wishing to appear harsh I don't understand why everyone is encouraging OP to take out a grievance, contact unions etc. His employers have already provided him with a room. I don't understand why it would be a hazard for OP to move from desk to test ? As for his colleagues complaining, I agree they are ignorant and need educating but why should the employer be blamed for uneducated co-workers ?

BramHall456

Mossleyman How nice of your colleagues to complain.suggest you have a quiet word with your manager.I find similar, I have neuropathy meaning I cant walk very well. Ive been called hopalong and more. One learns that people who are fit and well are ignorant when they make comments.In reply I woud say I hope you get it one day. Under your breath tell them to get stuffed and smile!!

Mossleyman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the continuing concern. I have contacted DiabetesUK careline by email.
The hazard of moving from my desk for a test is that if I am low there is a risk factor
or Health & Safety issue for me to walk 20yards to the Rest room to do a test.

It is totally unfair and discriminatory and I will go as far as I can with my complaint.
The small fridge where I have orange juice is in the room i work in ! :)