Qualifying for a pump and choice

steveamos1234

I'm thinking about asking my GP about a pump.

Not sure I would qualify based on my HBA1C, which is fairly good and always around 6. My control is OK, but not great with various highs and lows during a normal week, and I would like to try for better control and I'm thinking a pump would help.

Now, about qualifying to get it, I do travel a fair amount with work and timezones cause a big issue. The pump would help with this, but would this be a good enough reason on its own to be able to get one? I don't want to invent reasons that don't exist, but obviously making a good case is important so any ideas that would help.

Also, how much choice of pump do you get? I really can't see me getting on tubing, so a patch style pump would be my preference.

Thanks.

sw11bloke

you dont fall into the NICE guidelines with an HBA1C of 6. You definately would not get funding for a Omnipod and if you did, you would only be offered a tubed pump which is really awful.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an hba1c of 6.1 and I apparently qualify once I've done DAFNE. My consultant said I've shown commitment to my health and as an engineer I "have the ability" to take the time to learn how to use a pump properly

Each consultant is different. It doesn't hurt to ask.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yeah, not just based on hba1c. quality of life is a big factor of being a pump. Having a normal hba1c does not mean you can't have a pump. Depends if having lows which prevent you from carrying on as normal.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
brett said:
yeah, not just based on hba1c. quality of life is a big factor of being a pump. Having a normal hba1c does not mean you can't have a pump. Depends if having lows which prevent you from carrying on as normal.

I don't even have lows...... Or highs. But they do recommend pumps for pregnant women..... I'm not but I hope to be one day so perhaps that's why they've said ok!

steveamos1234

Mixed feedback :eh:

I guess it really is a try it and see.

I don't currently have a consultant, as all my diabetes care is via my GP who is great. I think I'll ask and see where it goes.

sw11bloke

it depends on the area you live too. It a post code lottery. With an HBA1C of 6, It would be difficult unless you say that you get too may bad hypos on MDI. That may help.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
We live in manchester my daughter has just been offered one shes 9.they said the only reason we can have one is because her hbac1 is so good. They said pumping is much harder so unless you are putting the effort in with mdi it won't work out with the pump .

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Disagree with the tubed pump comment as I don't find mind awful at all - it's not an issue for me. So if you do get through the hoops of applying and getting approval please don't discount the tubed pumps as they work well for many of us. Good luck :thumbup:

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
Definitely worth a try to get one all depends on how pro active your doctors are and I suppose the relationship you have with them. Hale and I are under the same clinic but I've been constantly refused funding for a pump I had when I moved here and am doing well on, Whereas she doesn't fit the nice guidelines technically going on HbA1c's and hypos etc, but has been offered one. Not having a go or anything it's just very weird how some people find it easy to get access to things and other people struggle depending on where you live or who your doctor is. I made a complaint about my consultant so I guess that's pay back!
If you really want one keep asking and making a fuss. I took me 4 years of asking to get mine even though I did meet the nice guidance.
As for pump choice I think you are supposed to be able to choose between the Medtronic the animas the combo, the Omni pod I think there may be a few more I think they are listed on inputs website. It is supposed to be your choice but in reality it's just what ever your pump team have experience in and a lot of the time what they can buy in bulk. Find out about every type of pump and see what would fit best into your lifestyle. You'll need that as your evidence of why you should get a pump. A lot of people have their pump on the criteria of lifestyle etc which is a lot more flexible in the criteria but also a lot harder to appeal against if you're refused for one. You can't be refused on the grounds for funding but I won't lie it is a very big part of it along with the amount of training your team have.
You can but ask, Good luck.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been offered because I've asked. And even then I've got a few extras hoops to jump through before I get it so it can easily be taken away from me before I even get it. As pumppimp says, being proactive is in your favour!

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It may also be dependant on the resources to provide support. If your GP has no experience with supporting a patient on a pump, then it will become difficult. You may find it beneficial for your GP to refer you to a consultant who is pro pumps, and has a team to provide support. Be proactive and don't accept no for an answer. I wish you luck.

bossie

Hi,

I was able to be considered and was successful in getting a pump around 4 months ago now. It was a long long process however, almost a year and a half. I was successful because I do shift work - and it is more manageable being on a pump. I have a tubed pump and find it no hassle at all. It has made my life so much more easier. You don't need a bad Hba1c - if you can prove that the pump will benefit your lifestyle, you will be successful in getting one.

edit: when I say you will be successful in getting one, I mean you will be successful according to NICE criteria. It does cost the NHS alot though and some hospitals only have so many pumps to give out a year. Plus I also had to do several courses such as DAFNE etc.

I had to mention it alot, they never bought it up themselves - just keep on about pumps and show you are keen.

Goodluck