Parkrun

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, i hope you dont mind me starting a thread about the Parkrun, i love this event, its held every saturday at 9am and its completely free, its a 5k race/run/jog/walk it is held all around the country and on every continent (over 300 in the uk i think), its designed to encourage excercise, there are good folks organising it and it is marshalled by volunteers, they record your times if your interested and publish them so you can plot your times and progress, so if your able it would be great to go along and have a go, there are a complete range of levels from fantastic runners to slow plodders (me) everyone is friendly and there is no pressure from anyone regardless of your fitness level, in my parkrun (nonsuch park) there are usually between 300-400 people taking part each week so its easy to hide in the crowd if your nervous, you can also just walk or even just walk half the distance, the point isnt to win gold medals its just a nice way to get out the house on a saturday morning and get some exercise, if your able to exercise it helps bgs so get yourself to the website www.parkrun.org.uk have a look and see what you think and maybe sign up, its completely free & non profit making, best of luck if you fancy giving it a go, i know a few here are already signed up so we can post our progress here if we wish :)

Andy

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
This week i did it in 26.55 which was a little slower than my pb but my excuse is the muddy conditions hehe

When i first did it i was about 31 minutes

K

Kat100

That's really good....have not heard of it....but I can do fast walking now....have to make myself though...
Only two miles today.....like to aim for 4 miles three or
Four times a week.....couldn't do this a year ago :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Kat100 said:
That's really good....have not heard of it....but I can do fast walking now....have to make myself though...
Only two miles today.....like to aim for 4 miles three or
Four times a week.....couldn't do this a year ago :)

awesome :) 5k is 3.1miles so easy peasy hehe

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Nice one Andy! :thumbup: These events are a great way to get out of the house-get some fresh air and improve your fitness and insulin resistance(If applicable) and it's you who has inspired me to want to do it myself-I just got to stop the ciggies first(Which is big on my to do list) as I'd need a team of paramedics to follow me just in case I start sounding like Darth Vader! lol

Any chance this thread could become a sticky thread admin? as these events could be a great thing for so many of us who want to exercise more but are too embarrassed at first to jog round their local estate. :wink:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i forgot to mention you can run pushing a buggy or with your dog, many do :)

K

Kat100

Andy .....thanks I have been walking 5 k all summer and I didn't have a clue.....;)

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I am one of Andy's gang. I have also almost got my husband and 12 year old son to sign up too.

Andy should be on commission!

Cara

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
carraway said:
I am one of Andy's gang. I have also almost got my husband and 12 year old son to sign up too.

Andy should be on commission!

Cara

sounds good :thumbup: lol

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
oh and they take photos of you, if i look like im in pain.....i am lol

Attachments

• parkrun23.jpg
    parkrun23.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 857

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
wow very nice mate, ive come to the conclusion ive hit my limit ill never get down to that hehe

is that pic you?

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
They are good fun and like Andy says you can hide in the crowd. 472 at Huddersfield this week and there are no prizes so your only really running against yourself.

It is very much a social plod lots of time to chat and into the cafe after for a brew.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Andy12345 said:
wow very nice mate, ive come to the conclusion ive hit my limit ill never get down to that hehe

is that pic you?

Yup it is me, there was a Halloween theme so I left my make up off.