NEW TO DIABETES

hi am new

MY WIFE HAS BEEN TOLD ON TUESDAY SHE HAS TYPE 1. SHE IS 40 FIT i CANT UNDERSTAND IT. I HAVE NOT SLEEP ALL WEEK i HATE NEEDLES DRS AND ALL THAT. CAN WE HAVE A NORMAL LIFE AGAIN
THANKS WAYNE

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi i am new, your name will be kinda weird when youve been here a while lol, sorry to hear about you wifes diagnosis, your life will be different but will go on :) try not to panic, there are lots of type ones here that will answer any questions you may have, sleeping is a good idea so try to rest and learn about the condition, many many type 1 diabetics life a full and happy life with some changes you both will too im sure

best of luck

Netty70

Hi Wayne
Try not to worry, you have come to the right place their are lots of T1 on here who will happily answer any questions you may have
The only thing I suggest is support your wife and be there for her, when I was diagnosed without my husband and family's love I would of been lost
Good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Rockape671

Hi Wayne. You can both definitely have a normal life, I was diagnosed 11 months ago and apart from the testing, injections and a better diet, my life has hardly changed at all. It's all very confusing to start with and it's a fair old learning curve, but you've found the right place to ask any questions you have. There's always help here when you need it. The thing your wife will need most just now is support. You'll soon get over the needle thing! Best wishes to your wife.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I went onto insulin 8 months back having had diabetes for 10 years. There is little history of diabetes in my family and I have always been fit and not overweight; I'm afraid life is a lottery when it comes to T1 diabetes. Yes, Late onset T1 is life changing in some ways including diet but at least with insulin you can eat sensibly freely, but keep the carbs down to avoid weight gain. Your wife and you shouldn't worry about needles; you will hardly see the needle and typically it won't hurt. I use 4mm long very thin needles from cartridge filled pens. I suspect your wife will or has been prescribed something similar. For the first few weeks your wife will need guidance from the surgery probably on carb counting etc depending on the insulins she has been prescribed. Do come back to the Type 1 forum for further guidance when needed.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Of course you can both have a normal life Wayne, obviously diabetes changes things somewhat but it doesn't stop you leading a full and active life.

Encourage your good lady to read up as much as she can about the condition and tell her not to be afraid to ask for help, if she wants she can join the forum herself as there's plenty of experienced and helpful type 1's on here to bounce questions off.

Best wishes to you both!

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Wayne!

Type 1 isn't caused by "getting older" or by being unfit. It's nobody's fault. The best way to deal with type 1 diabetes is to learn as much as possible about it. So don't be afraid, just have an open, curious mind, and support your wife in this!

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
Hello Wayne, don't worry. I was diagnosed Type 1 when I was 67 yrs old. I went straight on to injections 4 times a day. Before that I had a terrific phobia of needles and would get myself into a right state if I had to have a blood test. I live alone (widowed 23 yrs) so I had no support and knew that I just had to get on with it. Your wife is lucky to have you to support her. The needles are so small and fine that they don't hurt at all. Best of luck !!

BramHall456

Does any body have neuropathy.if so how is it affecting you.do you know of any curative action. Ive had it for some time and find it difficult to live with.Have put some threads on site but no body replys.am I doing somethkng wrong?

hi am new

Thank you for all your help we feel a bit better. I have been reducing carbs in a effort to help my wife and I feel better. She is doing :thumbup: great we still have a lot to learn. But we will get there. Funny I now have a user name hi am new dont know how to change it. I was in a panic the first few days thanks again. anyone got any good ideas for desserts and snack thats the hard bit? We have still not met someone of my wife age with type 1 newly diagnosed that may help as we have 100s of questions.

Thanks again

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Desserts and snacks can be difficult. I end to have no-added sugar fruit yoghurts or just fruit. My wife makes fruit crumble with Canderel rather than sugar; still has carbs from the oats but not too bad. For snacks try most types of nuts. Fortunately with insulin you don't need to worry too much as long as you match the insulin for larger meals and avoid weight gain. Do come back with some of your questions; perhaps to the Type 1 forum

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I strongly recommend you learn to count carbs (sign up for a DAFNE course if you can, but in the meantime you can look at food labels or on the internet and figure out how many carbohydrates are in what you eat, taking portion size into account).

In the beginning it's easiest to aim for a consistent amount of carbs day to day, i.e. eat a similar amount of carbs for breakfast as you did for breakfast yesterday, etc. Once things stabilise you can learn how to be more flexible.

Carb counting makes it a lot easier to work out desserts and snacks. Certain treats are quite variable in their sugar content, particularly cakes and slices and the like, as they can be similar in appearance, size and weight but have significantly different sugar content. (By the way, the amount of carbs in a food is basically equal to the amount of sugar in it plus the amount of starch.)

Squares of chocolate are high in sugar but are still pretty good, as it's easy to get the same amount every time (stick with the same brand and count the squares!) and the fat in the chocolate slows down absorption. (This means chocolate is BAD for hypo treatment as it works too slowly.)

Fruit is great and tends to be fairly consistent if you have the same amount. Strawberries are fantastic because they are surprisingly low in carbs. I love dates. Try a date and some mixed berries in natural yoghurt (but don't forget that dairy products contain carbs too).

Snacking on salad is a great idea as greens contain essentially no carbs.

All the best!

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Wayne,

Ask as many questions as you like and someone here will help you and your wife. Glad to hear that she's getting on well. As mentat said ask to go on a DAFNE course ASAP. They teach you so much more that just carbs. I've recently completed a DAFNE course and wish that I had been offered one years ago. What I learnt was so much more than my previous diabetes team were telling me..however they didn't help me control my diabetes and my DSN told me to get referred to another hospital which I managed to do a year later. The forum was a big help with my querries. Good luck and have a good Christmas. Just remember to use a bit more quick acting insulin for the extra carbs your wife eat.