Low Cholesterol and Stroke

MartinAU

3 days ago my neighbor had a storke.However, he is known by high cholester for the last 5 years. Now he is recovering but this got me thinking about this relation and what is that dangerous/ normal cholesterol limit so you can say that "you are safe below that line"

pickledpepper2

How old were they?

What kind of cholesterol figures did they have?

Where they generally active or inactive?

Where they overweight/underweight?

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MartinAU said:
3 days ago my neighbor had a storke.However, he is known by high cholester for the last 5 years. Now he is recovering but this got me thinking about this relation and what is that dangerous cholesterol limit so you can say that "you are safe below that line"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/10/25/high ... in-stroke/

In summary, we have evidence that:

1) cholesterol levels have little or no relationship with overall stroke risk
2) low cholesterol levels are associated with increased risk of haemorrhagic stroke
3) higher cholesterol levels are associated with improved survival in those who have suffered an ischaemic stroke

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
MartinAU said:
3 days ago my neighbor had a storke.However, he is known by high cholester for the last 5 years. Now he is recovering but this got me thinking about this relation and what is that dangerous cholesterol limit so you can say that "you are safe below that line"

Hi Martin, the target cholesterol levels for people with diabetes are as follows:

Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
Triglyceride levels should be equal or below 1.7mmol/l

I do hope your neighbour makes a full recovery!

foreverdelayed

Tend to agree with the awesomely named fatbird. Look up the french paradox. They have the highest amount of saturated fat in their diet in Europe, yet have the highest life expectancy! Exercise also shows little to no evidence of assisting with health and longevity. Think of the number of gym memberships nowadays compared to 20 years ago and consider the little difference in stroke and heart attack incidence. I think is refined corn syrup and aspartame that causes inflammation in the arteries. Along with a lack of vitamin d.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
foreverdelayed said:
Tend to agree with the awesomely named fatbird. Look up the french paradox. They have the highest amount of saturated fat in their diet in Europe, yet have the highest life expectancy! Exercise also shows little to no evidence of assisting with health and longevity. Think of the number of gym memberships nowadays compared to 20 years ago and consider the little difference in stroke and heart attack incidence. I think is refined corn syrup and aspartame that causes inflammation in the arteries. Along with a lack of vitamin d.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

The french paradox accounted for the biggest ever export in red wine didn't it?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Paul_c said:
MartinAU said:

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/10/25/high ... in-stroke/

In summary, we have evidence that:

1) cholesterol levels have little or no relationship with overall stroke risk
2) low cholesterol levels are associated with increased risk of haemorrhagic stroke
3) higher cholesterol levels are associated with improved survival in those who have suffered an ischaemic stroke

Maybe true as written by him.

However, the original article was
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24103674
"Prior statin treatment and high admission cholesterol have been associated with favorable outcome after ischemic stroke (IS), a paradox not completely explained. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of admission cholesterol levels and the impact of statin treatment on short- and long-term survival after IS."

So, heavy use of statins to get the cholesterol down and you appear to recover and live longer.
Low cholesterol and less chance of being on statins.
This ties in well with a previous report on statins helping stroke recovery.
http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/43/1/147.full.pdf

Neither suggest increasing cholesterol to promote a healthier lifestyle.
Bit naughty of him not to mention that really.