work trying to force me to quit

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Since being diagnosed with diabetes a little over 2 months ago the company I work for has in my mind being trying to get me to quit. Thay told one member of staf I was taking the **** when I had to leave for the dr's ( that was the appointment that I was told about haveing kidney damage/disease and dr wanting to start me on meds immediately). But sunce then I have had 2 of my wages messed around with eg not been paid for time workrd . Last month it was 34 hours and this month it is 24 hours . I know twice doesnt seem like a lot but I get paid monthly so thats basically every payment since being diagnosed . I am also in a low paid profession the the money is a real loss to me and means I will struggle throughout the month. I feel this is an attempt to get me to leave. All they say is you didnt put you time sheet in . I know I did but cannot prove it and its also very funny that I have worked for them for 6 years and this has only started or happened since telling them I am diabetic. I also beleive that their actionsnare criminal as if they are relying on the statement that I havnt put a sheet in (even though the company keeps seperate time sheets for logging on and off work and where people are working as most of the workers are lone workers . Sheets infact that I fill in as one of the controllers) then I beleive by not telling me I had missed a sheet and docking my wage while fully knowing I should have been paid more constitutes an attempt to permanently deprive me of my money or money owed to me by them . Does anyone know if im right here or have any other advice/help they can offer.
Cheers james

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hello mate, im sorry you are having problems :( im confused as to why they would do this? what effect would it have on them, you have diabetes? have you asked for special treatment? have you changed your working practices since dx? if not, why not have a chat with them and get there views, you might just be being paranoid if you talk to them it may put your mind at rest or maybe put their minds at rest if they are worried you are going to become a burden on the company, we know the absolute ignorance surrounding db, perhaps they are thinking you are going to start having loads of time off work etc, once you explain this dosent have to effect you or them apart from the occasional docs appt they may change there thinking,

best of luck

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The worst thing you can do is try to work out why they are doing this. If your firm has a medical dept. go see them. If they don't go and see your boss even if it's out of work time and explain yourself. If there is a union or works rep, see them. Go as high in your firm as possible. You have been diagnosed with a serious condition if not treated properly. It will be to your own detriment if you don't.
Your GP, if he/she is any good would write to your firm if you ask them. Take any literature you can find in with you, so that you may only need only the occasional GPs appointment is necessary and you should get theses out of hours.
Do take your anger out by releasing it any way you can, but talk sensibly and responsibly until you are either satisfied or not.
Your health is more important!

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Its the way they work . That are not a nice firm to work for in the first place . As for changing or having time off. Since being diagnosed I have had 7 hours off . Which I booked well in advance and considering how many hours I have done extra when others have turned up late I think takeing a couple of hours off after giving a couple of weeks notice shouldnt be a problem ( in 6 years I have been late for work 2x 1x my fault 1 times car crash ) I arrange most appiontments on days off where I could but when I could not I got them as late as possable. And considering I live 17 miles away from work I have to vector in the traveling times . So it brakes down to 3 x off work 1x 2h at end of day for dn. 1x 3 hours off for retinopathy test ( by the time I had got back I would only have had 40 mins left till end of shift so not worth going back so booked it off instead it had also taken nearly 2 Months to get an appointment so wasn't wanting to cancel and change) and 1 x 2h unplanned had to leave work immediately to go see dr when told dr wanted to see me straight away over my kidney problem and I had an appointment in 40 minutes be there. I was absolutely s#####g myself what do you expect me to do ( a commentn made to colligue at time "was I taking the **** or what" the coligue said no I wasnt but they were and if it was him he wouldn't even have waited for a replacement to turn up he would have just rang to tell them and left). I dont think considering all that has been happening that I have had an exssive amount of time off . I also work a 3 week rota 60 h per week for 2 weeks then 45 for 1week then start the rota again the rota consists of days and nights which changes up to 2x per week . I also somtimes have to pick up an extra shifts if people ring in sick. So realistically my only propper time off (as I think withe out the diabetes a couple of drs appointments booked off in advance should be acceptable) is 2 hours when I found out about the kidney disease . Appart from that I have been where I was expected to be when I was expected to be there and compleated the job I was expected to do to a higher standard than most of my colleagues. I feel the way I am being treated is disgusting

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
I should also say that the woman who pays the wages her exhusband was diabetic so she must know some of the probs associated with it and that the added stress of being peed about is somthing I dont need . I can only consider it a personal attack on myself I definitely think they have decided that they want rid of me.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think the advice Andy gave was pretty good. Many people are ignorant about diabetes. I was until I got the condition. Ask to have a meeting with your boss. Explain to him/her that i properly controlled, should not affect your work. Also, ask them if they have any questions/problems etc. It does sound a bit fishy but the wages thing may just be a coincedence. Good luck.
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

elaineadams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
You know, James, you should keep a copy of the time sheet you have sent in. If you physically give them to someone, get them to sign and date both your copy and their copy to say that they have received it. If it is sent via the post, then pay that little bit more and ensure there is a signature for it when it arrives. When they say it has not been received you can trace it and find out who signed for it.

My next bit of advice is to contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau, or your local Tribunal Office and discus it with them. They are in an extremely good position to advise you, and help you take whatever action is deemed necessary to rectify these problems with your company.

You could also quote the Discrimination Act at your managers.....but most importantly keep a record of everything that is said, hinted at, and done to you...it will all work as proof against your employers.

Work won't like it when they realise that not only will they be accused of forcing you out of a job, but they will also have to pay a huge amount of compensation, court costs, and a massive fine for going against the Discrimination Act.

Wish I could be kept posted on this....I could use it as an example in my Diabetes Awareness talks.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
At the moment I am trying to get some legal advice . I personally feel like going in there full of brimstone and thunder injust need the Legal knowledge to back it up.

elaineadams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Citizens Advice is a great option for legal advice. However, I would suggest that you do not go in to your place of employment full of brimstone and thunder as this could be more damaging in the long run. Contact Citizens Advice, most of their staff are volunteers and work themselves, so they will often see you outside normal working hours, and they are professional's in the area they are advising. Also most of the solicitors will offer a free 30 minute advice session/meeting. There is help out there, and Discrimination is a big issue, with a legal implication for employers....they are really being taken to the cleaners over the silliest and most minor things just now. Also, you could find out who the company's Discrimination Officer is, and have a word with them....unless it is the person who has already caused you considerable distress.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As a formally diagnosed diabetic you are covered by the Disability Discrimination Act so any employer not being reasonable with regard to your condition is liable, I think you will find, to an unlimited fine. You may need to very gently remind the HR people of this if they don't take a sensible approach. I'm not suggesting taking unreasonable advantage of your condition, but don't let your employer do so either.