Cold weather causing sugars to rise?

chr1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have been diabetic for two years now and I went through a rough stage of not taking my insulin but have been back on track for a couple of months now! Only problem is I am finding the cold weather are making my sugars rise big time! I am now going back into double figures?! Its annoying as I was doing so well and now they just keep creeping up! I am following a low carb diet and try to exercise 5 times a week. Anyone else get this? Any tips?

Thanks!

Charlotte :)

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Probably no use to you whatsoever but I get the opposite , cold weather, particularly in minus's, tends to lower my blood sugar. I guess the body is using more energy / glucose to stay warm.

Are you eating more now it is colder ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
chr1234 said:
Hi, I have been diabetic for two years now and I went through a rough stage of not taking my insulin but have been back on track for a couple of months now! Only problem is I am finding the cold weather are making my sugars rise big time! I am now going back into double figures?! Its annoying as I was doing so well and now they just keep creeping up! I am following a low carb diet and try to exercise 5 times a week. Anyone else get this? Any tips?

Increase your insulin. I've noticed for a while now that I need more insulin in the Autumn and Winter months than I do in Spring and Summer, I've recently increased my basal insulin by 2 units but so far no increase in my bolus.

Indigo

Hi there

I'm having the same thing I feel although it has been the since beginning of Feb I've been on the Insulin. I thought I'd got on an even keel but then in the summer I had to decrease my Lantus as I was getting a lot of hypos. However now it seems that whatever I am about an hour before bed (I also take my Lantus then) I'm higher when I wake up! So far I've upped it to 30 from 26 but think I shall have to go up to my pre-summer dose of 34 units. I'm keeping my NovoRapid as it is for the moment and see what happens.

Glad to know that we all have seasonal variations in out insulin requirements however. Good Luck!

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Wow didn't even think about the weather had to increase my daughters basal by one her ratios for each meal by 5 and she's still been high !!we thought honey moon period over,maybe its just the weather.struggling to get a good reading at the moment

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
In the last week mine have shot up nothing has changed except the weather and the clocks but think its a weather thing I'm still cycling to work still doing same things at work so yes deff have got it I'm my head its the weather , I sent an email to my diabetic nurse with my results and said the only thing that's changed is weather not had a reply yet good to see I'm not daft in thinking this off to sleep with a bm of 16 :( taken 2.5 of a correction dose . Keith

Starting on the slow road to looking after my self doing small steps so I can feel the benefits before moving on ;) x