Cinema Snacks?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Been diagnosed Type 2 a few weeks now and making the necessary dietary changes to keep it under control. I am not on medication as yet. Has anyone got any diabetic friendly snacks I can take to the cinema with me so I don't feel left out.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Re: Cinema Snacks?

In a word, nuts. More specifically almonds, walnuts and brazils. Dont take too many though because of the fat content, but at least its good fat. Failing that eat a hearty meal before you go so you wont feel the need to snack.

WhitbyJet

Yes nuts are a good idea, also salami sticks, miniature cheeses and last time I went to the cinema I took chocolate coated blueberries with me (stir blueberries into a couple of squares of melted high cocoa content chocolate, leave to dry).

Enjoy your film

mandydowns

Our Cineworld cinema has searched people to ensure that they dont bring their own food in!!! Disgraceful I know - wonder if it happens elsewhere? :x

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Make sure that you hide the treats you take with you to the cinema,or you might get arrested if caught if you know what I mean.

Another tip for anyone that buys popcorn etc; from the cinema..
Think about the way they handle popcorn etc; behind closed doors.You might find that "Trading Standards Health Department" would have a field day if they had a good work force to ensure hygiene procedures were carried out at some of these cinemas.

Roy, :)

Hazehkm

mandydowns said:
Our Cineworld cinema has searched people to ensure that they dont bring their own food in!!! Disgraceful I know - wonder if it happens elsewhere? :x

If anyone gets stopped and they try to take your snacks away - ask them then to direct you to their range of snacks suitable for diabetics. When they cannot do so - which they clearly won't be able to - tell them that since they do not cater for diabetics then you will take your snacks in and that's that. Don't be afraid to ask for a manager and start throwing the word "discrimination" around… I can pretty much guarantee they won't stop you after that!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hazehkm, I thought the exact same. If challenged, I would just "please direct me to your diabetic friendly range" knowing there is very little you could actually eat at the cinema. A hot dog without the bun perhaps. To confiscate your snacks would a discrimatory act wouldn't it. Anyhow, I am taking some Fridge Raiders, a bag of nuts and some diet pop. Let's hope Philomena is good.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

It would be interesting.
They're not discriminating if they don't let anyone take their own food in.
So we're all equal.

But are they discriminating if you choose not to eat what they sell?
I choose to eat hotdogs, some popcorn, but no chocolate. I drink their diet cola. I don't like nuts.

Having said that, I played the discrimination card at the restaurant on a ferry, (so I was captive) they had a minimum three course rule on a Saturday. I explained I couldn't eat the pudding, they instantly agreed to waive that, and also altered the meals to suit what I wanted, (more salad, veg, no potatoes). Absolutely excellent service.

But I'm not sure a cinema would be the same sort of situation.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!

mandydowns said:

Oh dear, you shouldnt have mentioned that. Now you have my blood boiling :x .
Cineworld and all the other cinema chains have a flaming CHEEK to charge the sort of rip off admissions price they get away with. The UK has some of the highest cinema prices in the world and people just pay up like sheep. One reason why I boycott cinemas in the UK. But of course to add insult to injury they then sell a load of **** snacks and drinks at over inflated prices.

This is one reason why I suggest having a good meal and drink before seeing the film, if you must go at all.

Mandydowns, where is your cinema?

N

NicolaB70

My son has just started work at our local cineworld and has literally just finished his training last night. I did ask him about checking whether customers have taken food in and challenging them. He said that they don't check them now. Your allowed to take in snack food purchased from elsewhere or from home but not hot food. (Our cinema is on a big leisure park, with lots of restaurants and fast food outlets). My son was also told that the staff have no right to search customers and to stop them. Whether this is the case for all cineworld I don't know. but

mandydowns

The cinema that prevented people bringing in food not purchased on site is in Huntingdon - been to Stevenage and the same thing happened. Its quite common around this area according to other people that I have spoken to - guess its because so much profit is made on their products - makes the cinema so expensive when you take in a few children :(

N

NicolaB70

It is the Stevenage cinema my son has just got a job in. I know they never used to let you take food in so I don't know when they changed their rules allowing you to do so now.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Never been searched at my cineworld, but then we are going in the kids club on a sat morning and we do buy 1 bag for the kids. Don't feel so guilty about spending that much when the film only cost's £1 a ticket, love the kids club.
Regarding eating do your cinema's not offer salted popcorn??? sorry don't know much about T2, being T1 i basal for everything i eat, the problem for me is moderation.

Nada

Someone posted this elsewhere

Re: type 2 and the five two diet
November 12th, 2013, 3:42 pm
re. Cinema Snacks
I am a lawyer (Professor of Equalities Law) with Type 2 .
Under the Equality Act 2010, All service providers are required to make 'reasonable adjustments' to allow disabled people to make use of their services.
Unreasonable adjustments would be if the cost was excessive, or if it would damage a fundamental aspect of the service.
Taking alternative snacks to the cinema could not be said to cost the Cinema anything, (as you wouldn't buy and eat the stuff they do offer) nor does it damage the fundamental nature of the service.
Take what you think is appropriate, if any problems ask to speak to the manager - preferably to one side away from the cinema queue. Explain you are disabled with diabetes, and that a requirement of your treatment is to regularly snack on low glycemic products - such as nuts (or whatever you take), and not to drink high sugar content drinks.
Explain that the Equality Act 2010 requires them to make reasonable accommodation for disabled people to allow them access to their service (i.e. watching films).
By this time - any manager with any sense will say "Go on, and I will speak to the staff about ensuring access with food for diabetics"
If the manager has no sense, state that you will bring a claim for disability discrimination under section 6 and section 29 subsection 7 (the requirement for service providers to make reasonable adjustments) of the Equality Act 2010.
Even a manager with no sense will generally let you in by now. If they don 't, leave the cinema without making a fuss and file a discrimination claim at the County Court.
all the best, Stephen

Useful ?

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

lol i sposed but just smuggle it in and look menacing works for me :thumbup: