WHAT DO I EAT?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Examples of easy meals that I have are things like skinless chicken breast, broccoli, cauliflower and a slice of granary bread. Another one is frozen sliced beef in gravy with veg and tinned potatoes. Sainsburys Chicken Madras (chilled section) with half a pack of Uncle Bens Wholegrain rice. Hot Dog sausages, potatoes and veg (odd that one). 75g whole wheat pasta, a tomato pasta sauce sachets with 4 frozen Quorn meatballs in the microwave. In the morning I have porridge sachet for breakfast. Lunch is omelette or a salmon salad.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

colcot

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Bad manners, bad drivers, being diabetic, not being thin.
There is also a course called The Xpert Course and I found this great.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

not sure if this will help, but I totally agree with the person who advised cutting out bread, rice, potatoes and pasta. A few years ago, before I was diagnosed as diabetic, I made bacon butties for breakfast. I was always starving hungry at about 10.00am. One day I made them for my son as well, only to find out that I was short of bread...so my son had the butties and I just made do with bacon. To my amazement I wasn't hungry until 1.00 pm! How could this be when I had eaten less! It's the carbs that make you feel hungry, so my advice would be cut these four out altogether (they are all bland and uninteresting anyway)and instead make sure you eat a varied diet with lots of tasty foods. I had fun adding peppers etc to spice things up. I have ditched the low fat, low sugar varieties. Your appetite craves taste, not volume. I am controlling my diabetes by diet. Food is no longer an issue for me and my last blood tests showed 'normal'.

Cynthia6

Hi Wendy,
I asked my doctor to send me on a 6 week cause when I was first diagnosed, it was such a help it was for a couple of hours 1 day a week, if you have any cheap book shops around you they also sell books about diabetes and they really do help, they is also a cookbook on the site you can download, has your gp not giving you any books on diabetes, mine did and they helped a lot

Jaynea65

In answer to your question about livening up your porridge, I like porridge on a morning also. I put mine in a covered bowl mixed with a flavoured yogurt the evening before. The following day you can then eat this cold or zap it in the microwave to warm it through.

Dyezeegal

I too am newly diagnosed and my first reaction was to lower my carbs as I need to reduce weight, was 100kg on diagnosis early October. Lost 6kg eating lean white meats fish esp salmon and mackeral fruit veg salad nuts fat free or low fat yoghurt, porridge, small amount of baked potato or rice once a day and felt WONDERFUL. Low carbs worked for me. As only just in diabetic range am not told to test so I do not know if this good for my blood sugar levels but conmon sense tells me that losing weight should be my priority. I do exercise but need to do more and when I have eaten starchy carbs I just want to sit in a chair or go to bed! If you do not like raw veg, neither do I, then cook them. Try eating low starchy carbs for a day or two and see how you feel. I believe that the BALANCED plate approach thay they tell you about wherever you turn is too rigid a principle. It stands to reason thatva man who does a manual physical job is going to want to follow the plate guide but a sedentary middle aged woman like me does need so many carbs. If you are testing then you are lucky that you can tweek your diet until you get it right for YOU. I am sending my best wishes to you, it is tough when newly diagnosed to get your head around it.

Reactions: 2 people

Morganator

Personally I gave up on the dietician after 10 mins when she told me things like almonds make a good snack, in spite of all my records clearly stating I have a serious nut allergy.
My Mum is diabetic and she needs a different diet to myself. I think everybody is different and while you can get loads of advice, pick and choose what works for you and your body.

Nic39

Hi Wendy
I like you are newly diagnosed - only sympton was a lump in my throat and triedness. Just had my hba1c back and its at 114 and been started on metformin. Little dietary advice given and have to wait 8 weeks to get on a DESMOND course. Its been a nightmare trying to guess what i can and cant eat. I tried looking for ideas for breakfast, lots of conflicting discussions on what to have for breakfast and have been left more confused than before!
why do the docs not provide at least a basic list to get you started and not feel like you are on your own. Thank goodness for this forum and hopefully will get some good advice!