does anyone else feel really ill after alcohol?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As long as I drink sensibly I don't suffer any ill-effects.

GlazedDoughnuts

ewelina said:
I think insulin and alcohol is not the best match :sick:

Seconded! I just tend to miss my Insulin if i'm drinking. Still doesn't help.

I went full potato last night, forgot to eat, had taken basal insulin for the day, drank copious amounts...Yeah didn't end well.

Pre-diagnosis I could drink a lot more, handle myself pretty well...But since being on Insulin the ability to drink like a fool has reduced :(

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Most definitely yes. Feel rough as anything if I have more than 2 glasses of wine. TBH I used to drink far too much even after diagnosis but in last 2 years have cut out alcohol almost completely. The only time I drink a bit is at weddings, special occasions (and only if they've got a nice cava or a glass of bubbly) and on holidays but I'm ultra careful and watch those BSs like a hawk - which is a pain and another reason why I don't bother to do it regularly any more. Diet coke and soda water with a slice of lime girl now. Getting older too and seeing the folly of my ways when I drank too much.

Twinks

I don't drink often and wen i do its never a lot, i'm only 20 and on the rare occasion that i do party like a normal 20 year old i am stuck too my bed the next day no matter what i do even if i only have a couple of drinks I'm still fuzzy the next day I'm sure this never happened before i was diagnosed!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mon

I always feel horrendous after drinking! Usually drink wine so will have a hypo the next day. But on Friday I had some beers and my sugars went through the roof! I couldn't leave the house all day yesterday I felt sooo bad

LittleWolf

I will often have a hypo and rebound high the next morning which can take all day to get back to normal. If I manage not to go low I have horrible pins and needles in my hands and legs. I can't sit and get any relief. Everyone thinks I'm overreacting. People on this site regarding the effects of alcohol and everyone off this site regarding the notion of diabetes. Sometimes I think 'if its all in my head, why not have a drink?' then sorely regret it.

QuirkyBit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Alcohol definatly messes with my bg levels. I don't feel 100% right until a few days after. I know for my health I should drink less, suppose I should be stronger and stick to the diet cokes.

Radge21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to drink beer and lager but it was putting my sugar through the roof.
I only drink Vodka and diet coke now and it has made a huge difference to my health.
Worth a try.
I do miss the beer, but not the sugar highs.

LittleWolf

Decided to try again after my diabetic aunt told me I was being stupid and paranoid. Had a horribly sweaty/shaky hypo corrected with one or two quinoa falafels we had been nibbling, then went to bed at 11mmol a few hours later, woke up at 12 mmol with a headache and stayed 12-15 all day. Then have been having random hypos/spikes thereafter. What could be going wrong if I was eating *with* the alcohol?

Sarahfergo

I suffer really bad hence why I have given up alcohol I'll wake up the morning after sugars fine then I'll be sick all day and I'm not able to keep water or food down so my insulin pump is giving me my back ground insulin and my sugars are still fine but then on the evening still being sick I'll end up DKA not good as it puts me in hospital!!! No more alcohol for me :(

punto53

When I go out with friends I have gin and sf tonic water only one then I just drink slimline Toni's water with lime or lemon because I don't trust pubs with diet coke...... I like to see what I'm being given.....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
punto53 said:
When I go out with friends I have gin and sf tonic water only one then I just drink slimline Toni's water with lime or lemon because I don't trust pubs with diet coke...... I like to see what I'm being given.....

Me too Punto, don't trust those drink dispensers one little bit. We've had many story's on the forum about members being served full-sugar coke instead of diet, if it's not in a bottle, can or carton and handed over to you then leave well alone!