1st Nurse Appointment

manc603

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I had my 1st appointment with the Nurse at my GP practice and here is my experience.

I was diagnosed with readings of 10.4 mmol: 8.5% hba1c (69 in new money) and because my own meter readings (waking between 6 and 6.5, before dinner, 5.2ish and after exercise 5.2ish, now seem a reasonable amount lower than when diagnosed, she has suggested that I have another hba1c in a few weeks time so she can decide whether I need Metformin or can just carry on with diet and exercise only (as I am at the moment).

She indicated that if my next hab1c is between 48 and 53 she will refer me for a Oral Glucose Tolerance Test as she mentioned that she has had a couple of patients recently that due to the weight loss and quick lowering of their readings, they are no longer on the diabetic register.

I should mention that I am low carbing but am very worried by fruit, especially apples! I thought they were good for you but I seem to spike after eating them to about 9mmol 20 minutes after eating one. Bananas and Strawberries do the same. Tried Weetabix, Shredded Wheat, Burgen Bread all no good for me

Is there a decent fruit I 'can' eat and still maintain low levels?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yep, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries. Get the gist berries, seriously well done so far. Oh by the way you can get frozen berries and heat them up a bit to serve with sugar free jelly and double cream.

manc603

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
dawnmc said:
Yep, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries. Get the gist berries, seriously well done so far. Oh by the way you can get frozen berries and heat them up a bit to serve with sugar free jelly and double cream.

That's great, thanks. Berries it is!