Am I still diabetic?

debbieg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with type 2 in August 2012. Since then I have lost over 10 stone. My last two HbA1c readings were 5.00 and 5.1.
I had to persuade the Dr. to lower my Metformin from 2x500mgs to 1 per day.
Looking at the HbA1c charts, it seems I am now in the non-diabetic range.
So, how am I still Diabetic??

Carbdodger

Congrats on your achievements.
Sadly there is no cure for diabetes. Many on here do maintain non DB numbers as they will not the DB claim victory. Like you they have taken measures to get on top of it. Those of us there now need to stay there. And that means continuing to fight the battle.
Cd

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i have lost over 2 stone in 3 months , excellent 10 st ,,, but I am thinking twice about it too , since I lost weight my bs is 4.3 and 6.3 when I have eaten food then back to 4.3 ?

I am not sure about a cure , I have read about cures , but doesn't it have something to do with the pancreas ? but being overweight ceratainly brings high bs on ,

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Debieg,
Once you have crossed what is the criteria that determines diabetes in the firt instant it will remain with you throughout your life. I'm sorry if this isn't what you would have liked to hear but I know of no-one who was confirmed as being diabetic (Type 1, 2 and a few other Types) who has succeded in completely reversing their situation, the exception being where the diabetes was caused by a medical conditions that unbalances the bodies hormonal balances (i.e. Pupuratory Gland problems).

Please don't be diss-heartend by this, for you have done exceptionally well in getting your HbA1c under such good control. You have obviously done all the right things with diet/exercise to have acheived this. You will need to keep doing this throught your lifetime as diabetes is the hidden condition that will always be there lurking in the background waiting for a chance to return with a vengance.

Don't despair, you've acheived some remarkable results so far - Best wishes for the future - Lazybones

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Lazybones said:
Dear Debieg,
Once you have crossed what is the criteria that determines diabetes in the firt instant it will remain with you throughout your life. I'm sorry if this isn't what you would have liked to hear but I know of no-one who was confirmed as being diabetic (Type 1, 2 and a few other Types) who has succeded in completely reversing their situation, the exception being where the diabetes was caused by a medical conditions that unbalances the bodies hormonal balances (i.e. Pupuratory Gland problems).

Please don't be diss-heartend by this, for you have done exceptionally well in getting your HbA1c under such good control. You have obviously done all the right things with diet/exercise to have acheived this. You will need to keep doing this throught your lifetime as diabetes is the hidden condition that will always be there lurking in the background waiting for a chance to return with a vengance.

Don't despair, you've acheived some remarkable results so far - Best wishes for the future - Lazybones

Perfect!

debbieg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the replies!
Lazybones.....that gives me something to think about!....I actually have an under-active thyroid...taking Levothyroxine...wonder if this has any impact on the whole 'thing'??!

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Debbieg,
Yes certain Thyroid medications are also know to upset what are normal B/G levels. Mention this to your Dr. Pleased you gained something from my earier posting.

Best Wishes - Lazybones

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi,

congrats on the weight loss and those greath hba1c results. In my opinion once diabetic always diabetic. However there is such a thing as a well controlled diabetic which is where you are. That is the best way to be.

I hope you don't mind me asking but I would love/need weight loss like yours......how did you do it?

Thanks Lenny3

debbieg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Lenny3,
Well to be completely honest with you.....'I went healthy'!!!!
No white stuff, (potatoes,rice,bread)
No sweet stuff at all, no Desserts...... only fruit...
I don't over-think my carb intake, just read about it, noted the worst offenders, and cut them down.
Hardly any alcohol......
One of my favourite recipe books is 'The Medicinal Doctor' by Dale Pinnock. Wonderful recipes!!!
As a seasoned dieter, I hardly count calories anymore either, I just know......
So, no great secret, but I would say this....It's all in your mind!! But if you 'go healthy', you remove the 'temptation'.....if it's not in your house, you can't eat it!
I realise this is a simplistic view, but it works for me!
There are aisles and aisles in the Supermarket that I never go down, I call biscuits and cakes and crisps etc rubbish, and never,never buy them!!