DAFNE this week

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started DAFNE today. It's been quite amusing for me as I've self taught most of the concepts using the forum.

Best bit is the nurse and dietician are too scared to touch my (rather) complex carb ratios since I've already got a great hba1c. You can see on their faces that they're wondering why I'm there!

I'm hoping to learn a few new things, like the sick day rules as the week goes on

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shame I won't get to pick your brains next week either, change of plans means I'm going to Kinneil instead.

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
I know your team say hi from keith ! Take it you are doing the one week course I did the 2month course one day a week gave us time to practice what we had learned ! Ask for malteaser squares they are a treat and only 2cp's if 35g ! I fit pub in Aberdeen you going to as if its the normal one they use its great ! !

Starting on the slow road to looking after my self doing small steps so I can feel the benefits before moving on ;) x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
mo1905 said:
You'll be teaching the class by Friday ;-)

Indeed she will :D

Hope you have a great week Hale :thumbup:

jeves

I did DAFNE about 4 years ago,like yourself I thought I knew a lot about being type 1 but I was educated about what happens when you are ill and develop ketones you can deal with it at home and not getting admitted to hospital which saves the NHS a lot of money!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Good luck Hale - hope you teach them a thing or 2 !!

I found the sick day rules of great benefit - but also being with other type 1's that made me feel quite normal and to see how they cope with their condition, all really nice people in my group and made me feel that my erratic blood control wasn't that bad either, we also had quite a laugh too !

It made me feel more confident to take ownership of my diabetes and change my insulin doses/ratios and to not have to ring my DSN all the time - good course.

:thumbup:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi keith! We're going to the atholl I think so that should be a laugh. Pot luck lunch tomorrow, I'm baking the brownies haha glad thugs are looking up for you

Dave I don't envy you that! Next time!

Yeah the basics are a bit of a drag but we're heading towards the stuff I'm interested in now. I'm feeling pretty rotten this week so the sick day rules will be handy when we teach them!

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
Your doing better than me as I would never have managed it all in one week 2much to take in
The morn should be good when we did it one woman took in cupcakes mmmm but the high after hurt my eyes ! I've looked back over the pack a good few times and use the dafne app ( I find it better than books ) then print it out ! A shirt for Friday beats a mc D's every time . Now go and do your home work ! ! ;)
Keith .

Starting on the slow road to looking after my self doing small steps so I can feel the benefits before moving on ;) x

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
Your doing better than me as I would never have managed it all in one week 2much to take in
The morn should be good when we did it one woman took in cupcakes mmmm but the high after hurt my eyes ! I've looked back over the pack a good few times and use the dafne app ( I find it better than books ) then print it out ! A shirt for Friday beats a mc D's every time . Now go and do your home work ! ! ;)
Keith .

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha I asked about the malteaser cake but Lisa isn't working tomorrow. She said maybe on Thursday though ;)

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
Well it's finished the morn and then you can watch your a1 improve I know mine has I had a 1/2 sticky toffee pudding at the atholl mmm it had been years since I had one tasted great ! I'm off to Edinburgh in the morning I'm now doing so much more since my bloods improved and I've put on a little weight looks better on me hope you have learned something and keep their email address as I've contacted them since and been advised very quick compared to my diabetic nurse !

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so glad you're seeing improvements Keith! My hba1c was 6.1% at my last blood test so I really don't want that to be lower, DAFNE has really just been a consolidation of what I have already learnt and I can now be sure that all my future adjustments are made for the right reasons!

We had the malteaser cake today, 3CPs in 30g though..... That's crazy!!!

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
Well enjoy the morn I'm in at the Aberdeen clinic at the end of the month might make some cakes as I did for the follow up DAFNE course was good to have a catch up with them after a month away !

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife made a crumble last week, and after I'd painstakingly got her to tell me exactly what was in it and how much and worked out that one piece of crumble on it's own was about 30% of my normal daily carb in take she asked me "so what do you do when you're travelling, how do you decide how much insulin for a pudding?"

My response " I don't have pudding"

you should have seen the look on her face.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hahaha! I have to say that even pre-diabetes I would only rarely have pudding.

The week has been great though. 3 of us all live on the same street so are planning to meet at our local for a catch up in a few weeks, so if nothing else I've gained a few more diabetic friends!