Hypos and work

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 2, on metformin, and have recently over the past week had three hypos. I have been a little under the weather, so I suspect the two are related. (Plus, in my late teens I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia).

Anyway, this lunchtime I had to run some errands, ended up dashing around and made the mistake of not eating lunch first. When I got back to work I was shaking like a leaf, couldn't speak, and felt dreadful.
I was fumbling around trying to check my levels, but didn't have the dexterity to unzip my meter. My manager asked me if I was ok, I remember shaking my head but couldn't say anything. I managed to get my lucozade tabs out but struggled to unwrap them. It was blatant was happening but no one in the open plan office I work in stepped in or offered any kind of help. I was in a panic so I took a big swig of lucozade drink that I keep in my desk, and waited a few minutes until I got my hands back in working order. Tested and was 2.7. Had a couple of tabs, brought my levels up a bit more then had a couple of biscuits.

Obviously I know that my health is my responsibility, but it's now got me thinking... What if I'd been totally unable to help myself? It's clear that no one would have stepped in.

What makes matters worse is that my supervisors mum is type 1, so when I first discussed my diabetes with her two months ago, she claimed to know what to do!

Has anyone else ever had to educate co workers ?
I don't like making a fuss, but it was quite a scary experience and I felt very vulnerable in a room full of people who were pretending that the diabetic was not having a problem !!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
That is quite an ordeal you went through and I have also experienced a similar problem. The best advice I can give you is to explain to the people you work with closely, including your manager that there may be times during a hypo when you may need help opening packets of food/sweet drinks etc and that a loss of coordination is a symptom of hypoglycaemia. What you have experienced is sadly typical and although some colleagues may have heard of diabetes they can quite often be clueless about helping you when hypo. I have heard of diabetics being asked to go and find a first aider whilst hypo at work and barely being able to walk. I had a hypo at work today and despite knowing I was hypo my manager asked me to leave!

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's quite a scary experience, isn't it?
I tried to bring up the subject a couple of days ago, and my manager (who is also the first aider for my department) replied with "if you are going to have one of those hypo things, then make sure you go home first. I don't want to have to deal with that".
Because driving my car home would be a safe thing to do, wouldn't it?