Peripheral Neuropathy

simonng

Hi, I am newly registered member. I suspect I suffer from nerve damage which gives me shooting pain and pin pain feeling on my foot and legs now. Currently on B11 and neurontin. Without neurontin, I can't sleep well and the pain is unbearable especially in the evening. So sensitive that nothing can come close including my blanket.

Would like to know if anyone have similar symptom as me? Is there a cure actually? If I improve my BS and HBa1c, how long does it take to return back to normal again? Or is it something I have to live forever with?

thanks
Simon NG

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I joined this forum when the tingling in my hand was rally bad I had very little sensation in two fingers and I had tingling in my legs especially my thighs, on my face and I generally felt awful.

I was in total denial about diabetes and the 7 stones of excess weight I thought I was a healthy fat person as I still exercised ( a bit) and my meals were healthy ( lot of fruit and veg always wholemeal etc, the fact I could eat an entire pot of Ben and Jerrys in front of the TV didn't register, or that after healthy meal I would eat a family bar of chocolate)

Reading about low carb and weight loss in this group made sense. So I tried. I've lost weight, my symptoms almost cleared up and I felt great.

Then, because I felt so well, I started to fall back into my old habits and I could feel my fingers going back to the way they were. Not as bad but not good.

So I'm back in business and I feel pretty confident I can get more recovery with more weight loss and exercise and keeping the carbs low.

It helped me. My symptoms (although possibly not as bad as yours) impoved within a month and after two months they had all but gone. Maybe it would work for you. Let me know

Cara

simonng

Cara, thanks for that. It is encouraging. I will be patience and hope for the recovery. Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7105 using DCUK Forum mobile app

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Do you have any weight to lose? What is your diet like? I had about 5 years of neglect, possibly more. I haven't dare to look back.

I need to increase my exercise to improve my circulation as an added goal.

Cara

simonng

Hi Cara, I already sudden lost abt 10 over kg 4 months ago due to bad BS control. I am now 64kg and 180 cm tall. No more weight to lose. In fact dr wants me to put on some more weight. My last hba1c in oct was 8.4 down from 12 in 5 months ago. Sigh ... this nerve pain only started 2 months ago. Praying hard with my BS better control and lower hba1c my nerve pain will go away just like what you went thru.

Cheers

simonng

Oh by the way my diet is normal now and I have neglect and taken diabetes for granted for 8 years now. I am 40 yrs old now.

Cheers

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
simonng said:
Would like to know if anyone have similar symptom as me? Is there a cure actually? If I improve my BS and HBa1c, how long does it take to return back to normal again? Or is it something I have to live forever with?

Simon, I'm afraid no one can answer that in truthfulness but normalising your bg will give you the best possible chance, good luck!

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Simonng,
I sent a reply to someone else with poor circulation in their feet part of which was as follows:-

Several years ago I suffered with 'pins and needles' in both feet to the extent that it would keep me awake during most of the night. Having waited over a year for the NHS to investigate this problem, I decided in desperation to try 'Evening Primrose Oil with Vitamin E) as a possible solution. I can report that in my case I found that after using this herbal remedy for a week or two the 'pins and needles' vanished and have never returned since then.

I'm not saying that this is the answer, but it might help together with all the good advise that has already been posted. Getting one's weight and B/G under good steady control is fundamental.

simonng

Hi, thanks for the recommendation. No harm trying. I felt the same where I cant sleep at all and it is affecting me alot. Agreed that BG under control is still fundamental. Cheers