Don't involve yourself in the blame game.

hornplayer

That lecture gas been high lighted on the forum before. At least twice that I've noticed.

I think it's really interesting and really does explain a lot as well as posing some interesting questions.

I'm amazed by how little attention it appears to be receiving on the forum. I know that not everyone comments on every thread they view, but I would have thought it would spark more conversation.

I wonder why it doesn't?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
there are people in here who would rather you remain dumb and ignorant and following the directives of your doctors instead of realising that low-carb high-fat diets can control your blood sugars and give you respite from the inexorable progression that the NHS dietary advice will result in...

hornplayer

Hmmm.

It was the same for the thread about the lecture "sugar, the bitter truth".

Yes, ok, it was a really long video. About an hour, but it was fascinating. ( ok, so I did nod off a bit in the bio chemistry bit in the middle, but it had been a really long week! )

I was very surprised that there weren't more comments.

I think that maybe some people, who usually love to argue, avoid posting where they know that their argument can't beat the one being offered. Especially when there is so much scientific research backing it up. Also, maybe there isn't as much fun to be had when there isn't anyone around to attack.

I do hope I'm wrong and that more people have seen these threads. Yes, there are as many ways to control diabetes as there are people out there with diabetes. I still think these two videos are well worth watching. :)

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
primmers said:
I just saw this TED lecture on You Tube. If the link doesn't work search Peter Attia: What if we're wrong about diabetes? He's a medic researching around the question of whether obesity is a symptom of the cause of diabetes rather than the cause itself.

Anyway, here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhLBPPtlrY

I watched the vid. Unfortunately Peter Attia does his case no good by getting theatrically emotional in his summing up.
I'd rather see some links to hard scientific research supporting this theory (which btw I have a tendency to agree with) rather than this wishy-washy subjective pseudoscience.
Any links out there?

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Not to take away the morale boosting as I know many T2s as I kmow they have weight issues - but not all of us are, I am not and nevrr hsve been, lucky - well, I guess, but many diabetic issues are treated by low carbing and even metgormin to cause weight loss, do less options to correct sugar levels for us. Metformin for me caused many comments about my having lost weight - said in a concerned manner! Just saying as all, as your statement starts by saying T2s are overweight.

hornplayer

I think the research talked about in the video is good news for diabetics, whether they be fat or thin. If doctors and scientists stop looking at weight issues as causing T2 and saying to themselves "there you go then", and start seeing weight issues, - up and down, as a symptom, they'll start looking harder at genetic, environmental, metabolic, - whatever - factors, that could play a part in deciding who develops T2 and who doesn't, also leading to greater understanding of T1 etc.

The very fact that so many people feel that they need to point out that they themselves are not over weight and still have T2, highlights the stigma that has developed surrounding T2. Surely this can't be healthy? We need more awareness. This won't happen if people are afraid to stand up and admit that they has T2 for fear of being tooled up and down and labelled fat and lazy?

hornplayer

Sorry Phoenix, I was talking about discussions here, not on the internet in general. I know he's really well known but, to be honest, if I hadn't seen the link here, I wouldn't have gone looking for it, even though I had been told about it by my fitness nut brother. :)

Thanks for the link. For some reason I can't get it to go anywhere. - not liking the new look forum design, I think it hates me!

louisewomble

Paul_c said:
there are people in here who would rather you remain dumb and ignorant and following the directives of your doctors instead of realising that low-carb high-fat diets can control your blood sugars and give you respite from the inexorable progression that the NHS dietary advice will result in...

I completely agree with you! :clap:
No Dr deserves to be put on a pedestal for giving out advice that is clearly damaging to some people with DB whilst blindly refusing to consider evidence to the contrary! :silent:

ceejayblue

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed T2 in December 2011, I was asked by my diabetic nurse if I felt depressed because of it? I said no, in actual fact I'm relieved! I'd had diabetes hanging over me for years with glucose intolerance and my late mum was T2 insulin dependent diabetic and my sister is also T2 for over 10 years. I was relieved because now I didn't have to think I may get it, I'd got it and I would have to deal with it as best I could. I lost weight in the first 18 months but had problems with my metformin so had to go onto the slow release which has helped but I put the weight back on. Not because of the metformin but because I got complacent again.

I'm now back on track and losing weight, slowly, counting calories and reducing my carb intake but not by too much. I'm really fed up with people banging on to me on my weightloss forum that low carb (ie 50g a day or less) and increasing the fat and protein in my diet to make up for it is a good idea. For me that isn't a good idea, I have gallstones and a hiatus hernia so increasing fat and protein is going to be no good for my kidneys or my stomach! So, I stick to low cals - 1600 a day, carbs around 175-195g and trying to move more. Having a balanced diet will help everyone diabetic or not but until there is a definitive study saying that eating an Atkins style diet is the best way to go, I'll stick to the balanced diet and enjoy what I eat - everything in moderation.

C

catherinecherub

louisewomble said:
Paul_c said:

I completely agree with you! :clap:
No Dr deserves to be put on a pedestal for giving out advice that is clearly damaging to some people with DB whilst blindly refusing to consider evidence to the contrary! :silent:

As the OP, I would say that this has nothing to do with the thread other than highjacking it. :( This is about Type2s not getting embroiled in the media perceptions of our condition. If you want to ***** about other forum members why not take your post and start a new thread on the Diabetes Soapbox. You could also include some of the comments you have made elsewhere on the forum that include your conspiracy theories and that some members are shills which means that you think they do not conduct themselves with integrity.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Calm down! You are missing the point of the post Catherinecherub , The post was in response to the posting of the TED video which makes the point that we are not to blame for our diabetes and that alternative dietary advice (not supported by the NHS - yet!) may offer a solution. The post supported that point of view. You may not, but that does not give you the right to start namecalling.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
stuffedolive said:
Calm down! You are missing the point of the post Catherinecherub , The post was in response to the posting of the TED video which makes the point that we are not to blame for our diabetes and that alternative dietary advice (not supported by the NHS - yet!) may offer a solution. The post supported that point of view. You may not, but that does not give you the right to start namecalling.

I would just like to point out that it was Pauls_C who started the name calling making the accusation that
Paul_c said:

And also as Catherine said calling those same people "shills" on other threads, so if you want to tell anyone to "calm down" I suggest you start with the person who really did start the name calling.

This thread has nothing what so ever to do with diets of any kind and I would remind you that there are many ways to control this condition, not everyone wants or needs to low carb and to accuse those who chose not to as shills and saying they want others to remain silent about low carbing is actually offensive.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
hornplayer said:
What's a "shill"?

Remember the old "Cure all potions" where the salesman would appear to pick a random town citizen with an ailment,the afflicted citizen would drink the potion and "Appear" to be suddenly cured and all the townsfolk would rush like mad to part with their cash and buy a bottle of the "Wonder,cure all potion"...well the person who pretended to be "Cured" was a 'Shill' for the salesman.

Hope this helps

Paul

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
Gappy said:
Despite always being active I've always been big-not overly so but nevertheless a big lad. Anyway, diabetes is now a positive thing for me as I'm having to be healthy, lost a stone already, looking better for it (I love the compliments I get for it) and next badminton season I'm going to be fitter so will win even more games!
same here mate. now i have to eat well and be good and looking good too. is it a disease or is it the bodys way of saying you can be a lot better maybe. this time next year im sure i will be some kind of sexual god lol