Me Cataract Op Aaaarg.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
I feel I ought to say first of all that anyone happening to read this thread who is about to, or is expecting to, undergo a cataract removal op, mustn't be concerned that what happened to me could happen to them during the operation.
It was under exceptional circumstances that my op went badly wrong. ie, the doctor? (Chirpy Eyes) performing the op was a trainee who clearly didn't have adequate expertise and should never, in my opinion, have been operating on a patient.....me.
But "Why Me"?? Arrrrg.
Anyway, I can't quite believe how badly the after effects of this entire episode has knocked me sideways... knocked the stuffing out of me, and I'm still not really over it yet.
I've a fair few other health problems, perhaps that's why I feel so badly effected.

:wave:

You're all genuine, sincere, and encouraging friends, my warmest thanks for your very kind words.
NicolaB70, dubzn1, alohanicky2009, anna29, ElyDave....loved your comment. lol.
Kat100, izzzi, brett, Westie2, aniept, Thundercat, Robinredbreast, NicolaB70, alohanicky2009, daisy, carty, WhitbyJet.

Squire Fulwood, I'm going to bash you, I've still to have the cataract in my right eye removed and would rather not have looked at your YouTube contribution. :D

When I arrived home last Thursday evening everything was ok'ish, just discomfort in the eye.
I spent a quiet evening with me better half relaxing and, as I mentioned, I decided not to go to bed that night (not uncommon for me) as I didn't want to miss the 7am taxi the consultant arranged for the following morning.
All was well, I dozed off in the armchair whilst me better half was up in bed. Around 4am I felt a slight niggling in the eye which eventually turned into the most awful, awful pain. It was worse than the pain I experienced 25 years ago when I developed a kidney stone. The type of pain that makes you physically throw up many times. It was as if I'd a knife plunged in my eye.
I began to see what can only be described as vertical rows of different coloured shiny metal flat strips coming from the top of the eye..... kind of psychedelic.
Now, I was not on happy pills, I don't drink alcohol any more, nor was I smoking any funny stuff, so the only thing I can think of is I must have been hallucinating and continually throwing up.
I put up with the intolerable pain until I really couldn't handle it any more. I can just remember going up the stairs to our bedroom to waken me better half with my eyes tight shut and asking her the time. It was 6:30am...half an hour till the taxi would arrive. 7am came and went, the taxi never arrived!!!!
I was in absolute agony and I eventually asked me better half to phone for an ambulance, but from what hospital? the one 20min from our house, the one where I'd had the op that went wrong, or the hospital I was due to attend.
I was now walking round and round our bedroom using the wall for support.

Eventually my son was telephoned; thank goodness he'd a rare day off from his work. I don't remember much but I was told he'd to support me and half carry me out to his car with the help of me better half,
We eventually reached the hospital...again I'd to be supported and helped up to the ward immediately. It's all a bit of a blur from there, but I know they were asking me simple questions I just could not answer.
btw, I missed the 8am time slot and had to wait till 4pm, plus I'd to stay in hospital overnight.
So that was my lovely week-end.

As a side issue, on Saturday morning before breakfast my sugar levels were tested.....5.1. I was delighted and so were the nurses.
For breakfast I'd one Weetabix and one white roll and butter. I don't eat white bread or rolls but Mmmm I thoroughly enjoyed them.
3 hours later, sugar levels 21,5???

Oh, I said at the beginning "Why Me, well, we all know the answer to that one, eh. "Why not me".

I don't know how this post will come across, 'cause I'm still knackered, Aherrmm, exceedingly tired.
So if it comes across as drivel....just humour me and tell me it's poetry in motion. :D

See you around the boards. :thumbup:

willie.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Willie, that was a terrible painful experience you went through.
When your back to your goodself, have a well deserved break somewhere nice with your lovely wife.

Please forgive this cartoon, just trying to understand how feel these days.
2398082.gif

Thanks for the great "poetry in motion" and things can only get better now.
Roy.

punto53

Oh Willie I was in pain just thinking about what you have just been through my god you deserve a big medal (gold) one!! Good to hear all is OK

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Thank you,
punto53. izzzi (again)
and parkyrich.

Well, the blood in the white of my eye is slowly disappearing, the fog has gone and all is crystal clear. The only thing is the vision isn't 100% yet. I expect when my right eye has the cataract removed everything will gradually balance out after a month or two. (I hope)

You know, I still can't get my head round the whole experience, why did it affect me so badly, I'm at a loss to come up with a difinitive answer.
I'm only now, 13 days later, begining to feel the harshness of it all easing off.
Very strange, but then again, I'm a strange little fellow. :D

I mentioned, in another thread I think it was, that the needle injection in the eye was superceded by four diffirent eye drops prior to the op. I was wrong, I was given the four different eye drops aaand I did have a needle injection before the repair job began. It wasn't actually painfu, just a little bit uncomfortable.
I completely relaxed myself and put my faith in the hands of the consultant... it worked for me anyway.

After an overnight stay, I was out of the hospital at 2pm and very grateful to arrive back home again.

There's some side issues I'll mention, but later.

A big thank you once again to all you other good folks for your words of support, I really did need them.

willie.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I hope it all goes well for you now.

Are you going to be putting in a complaint?

While it's bad enough if went wrong in the first place, it's appalling that you suffered so much at home.

Good luck from now on anyway.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
douglas99 said:
I hope it all goes well for you now.

Are you going to be putting in a complaint?

While it's bad enough if went wrong in the first place, it's appalling that you suffered so much at home.

Good luck from now on anyway.
Thank you douglas99.

Friends have been saying the same thing, but I don't know.
Right now I don't feel like a long drawn out affair, I'd probably
have popped my clogs before anything was settled. :? :)
I've a good solicitor from my bussiness days I could consult but,
well, we'll see.

I've still to be reimbursed for my taxi fair back home on
the Saturday.. £22, hope at least I'll get that before I
head down to meet "old nick", though.

Cheers for now. :thumbup:

willie.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Glad it's turned out ok(isn) for you ww. I can testify medics working on your eyes are worse than any other part of you.
Keep your chin up knowing everyone here is hoping your next treatment goes a lot more straight forward for you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Willie .

Thank you for the detailed update - I know things arn't great for you .
But - I enjoyed reading your posts and hearing from you 'again' :)

I hope and wish for you - feeling so much better and improved 'SOON'
This cant have been nice for you (((hug)))

Anna .

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pilgrim and Anna, thank you so much for your words of
encouragement and support. Isn't it amazing how words
of acknowledgement regarding someone's problem can
give all of us a boost just when we need it most.

Had a bit of a scare this morning.
When I got up out of bed I could see in the darkened bedroom, but something
wasn't quite right. I gradually realized I could not see a thing out of my left eye.
So I closed my left eye to check, I could see in the dark with the right, but
when I closed my right eye I couldn't see a thing with my left eye....
just total darkness.

Opening up the blinds, again my right eye was fine, but my left eye, oooh dear,
I could only see a sort of crystallized ice image.
I washed,shaved and prepared myself for the day.... first thing was putting the
drops in the eye.
All morning the eye stayed the same. Lunchtime, two more drops to the eye.
Gradually as the afternoon wore on the vision came back.
I've no idea why it happened in the first place, but aye aye, it sure made me
wide awake very quickly this morning.

What also got my attention was that horrible niggling feeling in the upper part
of the eye again, thankfully it also gradually disappeared, I never experienced
that awful pain, whew, what a relief.

Things are ok, but not quite 100% just yet. I'm still shocked at the after-effects
and by how long it's taking me to get back to a more calm sate of mind..

Ah well, what is it they say, "these wee things are sent to try us",
at least that's what me better half quotes to her friends regarding me,
so it must be true.

willie.

K

Kat100

Hi wilie
Sorry to hear you have been through so much....I think you have been very brave though....
Thinking of you...best wishes Kat x

Janiept

Expert
Gee that must have been scary after all the shenanigans of the last couple of weeks Willie. It takes a while to fully recover and feel confident again doesn't it and extras like this don't help I know.
Glad you have your wife to take care of you but remember to be kind to yourself too. Hugs and loads of support. Janie

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Thoughts and good wishes being sent to you again hope things impove soon and quickly x

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm ashamed of myself for failing to came back and acknowledge your posts,
Kat100. Janiept. alohanicky2009.
I did read them not long after you posted them and I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I even meant to come back and post this......

Practically a month to the day after experiencing that terrible pain, the first hospital sent a letter to my doctor who then forwarded it to me.
It contained a prescription for two items, one was for a small bottle of eye drops, apparently I should have been prescribed 4 bottles of eye drops, not just the three they (the hospital) handed to me when leaving. They were all in a tizzy, including the surgeon at that point after what happened to me, perhaps that's why they omitted to include them.

The second prescription (Diamox 250mg tablets) took my breath away when I discovered they were pain killers to overcome any pain I may experience in my eye following that disaster of what should have been a straight forward 20min op.

You couldn't make it up, the entire experience was a complete farce.

I told to my doctor I never want to go back to that hospital again. Thankfully, he was sympathetic and fully understood.

I'm going back for a check up to the hospital who rectified the error this Tuesday. Hopefully, if all is well, I'll soon receive an appointment to have the cataract removed from my right eye.

Thank you all again for your interest and kind posts.

willie

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thundercat said:
Best of luck with your appointment Willie. I hope it's smooth seas and plain sailing from here on in.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Thank you Thundercat, I too hope it goes reeeeally smoothly.
I'm sure it will, I've discovered this consultant has
an excellent reputation in Ophthalmology circles.

Thank goodness. :clap:

willie. :thumbup:

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you, alohanicky2009. :wave:

Well, I was given the all clear by the surgeon this week, he was happy the eye had healed well.
He told me he would be able to remove the cataract in my right eye and that I'd receive an
appointment around three weeks time. I was very very pleased. Pleased I'll get it over and done with.

5:30 tonight I received a phone call from his secretary asking if I'd be free to have the op
this coming Wednesday, was I? you bet I was.
She mentioned the surgeon would slot me in on that date and I've to phone this coming Tuesday
when she'll confirm if it will be a morning or afternoon appointment the following day.

I'm amazed, she told me the surgeon actually organized this himself.

Isn't that brilliant. :thumbup:

The only thing now is, will the DVLA extend my licence which is due for renewal at the end Jan 2014.
They've had my health report for about three weeks, so I would imagine it will be sometime
just before the end of January before I hear from them.
Hope it's good news or it will be taxis from here on, then a luxurious ride in a limousine for the final journey. :? :D

I genuinely thank you all for your interest, it was and is, a great boost for me after the first eye op fiasco.

willie.

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad to hear you have recovered from what must have been a horrifying experience. To be honest, i'm glad I didn't read about your op before I had cataracts on both eyes operated on a few years ago. I was absolutely terrifed at the time, being a bit of a wimp, but everything passed off without any problems. Ditto for my husband a year later and for my mother this year. I was surprised that they made a fuss about the bs levels (though thinking about it, it's logical): the clinic I was at as an out-patient didn't even ask or test: in fact it was almost like a prodction (or should I say removal) line. The stretchers were lined up to go into the theatre and it was all over in about 10 minutes (though admittedly I wasn't timing it). Anyway, hope the next one goes well for you: I'm sure it will.