Monitor my glucose levels

M

Maybird

Well I finally took the plunge and ordered a glucose monitor. Sure I will be nervous of using it at first but as I am a very borderline type 2 I think I need to know what food affects my levels most. Just hope I do not get paranoid about it
I have never asked on here what is considered to be a good glucose level so I don't really know what it should be. My levels last month at my two fasting blood tests two weeks apart were 6.9 first one and 6.8 second one I had the glucose intolerance test 8 years ago so have known since then I had an intolerance but each year my levels have gone up a bit more this year were the highest yet

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
maybird I would be interested to know that too. I have bought a glucose monitor but not plucked up the courage to use it yet!

I told the GP today that I had a monitor and he said I wouldn't recommend using that, there're not very accurate, but I suppose if you don't use it too often. is that not the point of a monitor to use it frequently to see what increases your sugar level? He also said eat a low calorie diet and when I mentioned low carb he said there was one consultant who talked about a low carb diet but he wouldn't recommend it. All he said is follow an intensive diet and exercise but no details. Surely they should be doing all they can to get prediabetic levels down before it's too late.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
What is an "intensive diet ?" ! Low carb will help. Now you've bought a meter, be crazy not to use it ! Test before eating and approx 2 hrs after. The after eating reading should not be too far off the pre-meal reading. Try to aim for numbers between 4 & 7 ideally. Exercise will certainly help. Keep records of your readings and what you ate. If a particular meal sent you high, either eat less or try to avoid. Good luck !
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
mo1905 said:
What is an "intensive diet ?" ! Low carb will help. Now you've bought a meter, be crazy not to use it ! Test before eating and approx 2 hrs after. The after eating reading should not be too far off the pre-meal reading. Try to aim for numbers between 4 & 7 ideally. Exercise will certainly help. Keep records of your readings and what you ate. If a particular meal sent you high, either eat less or try to avoid. Good luck !
Mo

I think an intensive diet is eating low calorie/low fat. I am eating low carb I have lost 2lb since last Saturday so it is going the right way! I will use the monitor, starting tomorrow!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well done on the weight loss ! Still can't see why it's called an "intensive diet" lol ! This makes it seem a little scarier than it should be. By labelling it such, doesn't really help. Healthcare professionals should be teaching low carb and healthy lifestyles, not intense diets. That way, there is more chance of it becoming long term rather than a fad.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
mo1905 said:
Well done on the weight loss ! Still can't see why it's called an "intensive diet" lol ! This makes it seem a little scarier than it should be. By labelling it such, doesn't really help. Healthcare professionals should be teaching low carb and healthy lifestyles, not intense diets. That way, there is more chance of it becoming long term rather than a fad.

I just got the impression that he couldn't really be bothered

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The hand held meters are not precision instruments because the sample is capilliary blood, which contains other fluids in unknown proportions. Nonetheless, they do give you a sense of what is going on and you do get to know your meter over time. The main benefit however is in learning how various foods affect you. Measuring before and two hours after every meal gives you a good idea of what to avoid. I discovered that white bread is very bad for you. Neither my GP or DN told me that, I had to find out for myself. When I started reading scientific reports, I discovered that white bread gives a blood glucose response very similar to eating sugar. They told me not to eat too much sugar but I knew that anyway. I expected them to tell me about the less obvious things.

Meters are very useful for someone who is borderline diabetic, around the 6.8 or 6.9 mark. If you teach yourself, or ask here, you should be able to avoid diabetes altogether, simply by avoiding certain foods.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
mo1905 said:
What is an "intensive diet ?"

It was my intense interest in caramel toffees and mint imperials that gave me diabetes in the first place, an interest which was kindled when I gave up smoking!

M

Maybird

it seems to me that doctors and DN's all give different advice.. Because I have raised cholesterol I have been on a low fat diet so my doctor and DN just told me to keep on with that and not to have high sugar stuff and that was all they said about diet.
Why I wonder do they say monitoring is not a good idea for prediabetics and type 2's

M

Maybird

I have posted on the Glucose monitor thread about this but thought I would say on here as this is where I put my first post on monitoring.
My monitor has arrived and reading the instructions makes it sound really difficult to use I don't understand the reading of 107 on the sample picture I am used to my glucose levels being prediabetic of 6.8 6.9 etc so how would I get that sort of reading on the monitor that is presuming I will learn how to use it

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
They are different units. In the UK, we use mmols. Don't worry about the pic.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybird said:
I have posted on the Glucose monitor thread about this but thought I would say on here as this is where I put my first post on monitoring.
My monitor has arrived and reading the instructions makes it sound really difficult to use I don't understand the reading of 107 on the sample picture I am used to my glucose levels being prediabetic of 6.8 6.9 etc so how would I get that sort of reading on the monitor that is presuming I will learn how to use it

I think the instructions are using mmol/mol as a unit whereas you are used to mmol/ml. You can usually change the type on first setting up your monitor.

simonng

I totally agreed on low carb diet and bs monitoring. At leaat to gauge on a daily basis. I even record it for reference. You still need hba1c on every quarter to get a more accurate reading. Every body is different but do take precaution before pain strikes you. That's my advice. I have neglected for 8 years and now suffering from nerve damage on my feet (peripheral neuropathy) only now thru pain then I take diabetes seriously. Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybird said:
I don't understand the reading of 107 on the sample picture I am used to my glucose levels being prediabetic of 6.8 6.9 etc

It's just an american photo, that's all. The american system uses mg/dl and the uk system uses mmol/l you can convert the american to the uk system by dividing by 18. American 107 is the same as your meter reading 5.9

There is a convertor here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

but you won't need it because you just stick to the UK range with which yuo are already familiar.

cindya

low carb and healthy lifestyles, not intense diets. That way, there is more chance of it becoming long term rather than a fad.

Morganator

My Mum was the same and we were told to keep her levels at 7-7.5 to reduce the chances of hypos which made falls more likely.
I think it's better to be slightly high than ending up with a broken hip or worse.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@BramHall

Depends when you are getting the 7.5 readings. If you are getting them 2 hours after a meal, it isn't bad at all. It is at the high end of the normal range, but it is still within the normal after meal reading. If it is an early morning fasting reading, it is at the lower end of the diabetic range. I was around the 10 and many are considerably higher.

Are you on any medication at all? Those sort of readings are good for a diabetic who is not taking meds. There may be some exercises that your GP can organise for you, with the local health services. Some regions are better than others I'm afraid. Otherwise, tell us what foods you are eating. It might just be a question of adjusting what you eat slightly. There is usually something that can be cut out or swap for soemthing better.