Need Help

Sachin Gupta

Hello,

Iam Sachin from India , 35 years old, weighing 116 kgs at 6 feet height, I have come across my blood sugar levels to be 166 fasting and 280 after meals, my HB A1C is at 7.2 % , my doc says i have full blown sugar, i am confused and scared, need guidance on what to do, can this condition be reversed and the most important thing which i want to know is what to eat.

Any help is more than welcome.

Best,

Sachin

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think the main priority will be to reduce your weight as it does seem high. This will reduce your blood sugar at the same time. You need to reduce the carbohydrates you eat as they are rapidly converted to glucose in the blood. Once you get your weight down then insulin resistance will gradually fade.

simonng

Hi Sachin agreed that first thing is your weight. You need some exercise to help with that followed with low carb diet. My advice is keep your meal small and consistent timing. Replace white bread and go for multi grain or wholemeal. Avoid starchy food and flour stuffs. Replace white rice with brown rice and more vegetables. Changing one's diet takes time to adjust hence slowly but be serious about it. Start to observe the food label for info and that should help. In Singapore we now have food with Low GI which release glucose slower. Hey my friend dont be scared. We are all here with the same situation andvcan learn together to overcome it. As for reverse, I believed it is possible but remember everything takes times. Hope this helps. Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7105 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you listen to some health professionals or to the media, or worse still, to some members of the general public, you can scare the living daylights out of yourself. This however is completely unnessessary. Recently I heard Tom Hanks being interviewed about his recent diagnosis and he completely surprised the interviewer when he said '"knowing that I have diabetes allows me to do something about it. Do you know what your blood sugar levels are?"

And that is it in a nutshell, the biggest danger is to those who have diabetes but don't know that they have it. You do know and you can do something about it.

1. Being careful with what you eat, aviding white flour, sugarry foods, white rice and so on will lower your blood sugar levels by controlling what you eat.

2. Exercise will improve your insulin sensitivity thereby making what insulin you do produce work more efficiently and thereby reducing your blood sugar levels further.

3. Losing weight, if you lose enough of it, may unblock your clogged up islets in the pancreas and allow you to produce more insulin. Contrary to what has been thought before, some of your beta cells may not be acually dead but simply 'metabolically inhibited'. But, you have to lose a good amount of weight, on average 15% of your weight, though this is highly variable amongst invidivuals. Even people who have had diabetes for a few years still have a 50% chance of achieving this.

Don't rely on medication sorting everything out for you. Don't ignore it and don't think that losing a little bit of weight will solve everything. The NHS love to say, take these tablets, try to lose a little weight and try to do some exercise. This is not good enough. You have to be more determined than 'try a little'. Get a meter and see how various foods affect your BG levels, avoid those foods which cause your BG to rise and eat more of those that have little effect. Lose weight, be more active.

I find indian vegetarian cooking, mediterranean foods and fish dishes very good.