Benefits removed- now in desperate financial situation

Kategreen47

My son is 16, nearly 17 and has been diagnosed Type 1 over 10 years. When he turned 16 the government told me he could now manage his chronic health condition himself???? They took away my DLA, Carers allowance, Income support and mortgage help at once. Also we are no longer entitled to help with school meals.

I am now struggling to pay an £800 per month mortgage, and I am also now to pay £800 in council tax by January. They also say I was over paid £2500 in Income Support benefits and want this back too. I am a single Mum, working 16 hours per week earning £100 per week. My boys are at school 4 miles away so I need to take and collect them daily.

Yes, perhaps I could get a better paid job, but then I would lose other benefits and not be around to help Nathan manage his condition. He is usually low on his return from a school day so I need to be here to ensure he has a healthy snack and dinner by 4.30-5pm.

I am facing losing my home and this is causing me such worry, I can't sleep at night. I do not know where to turn. Nat has applied for PIP but not heard anything yet. He is 6th form and I have already had to go the school 5 times taking him insulin, snacks etc

I feel I am being punished for looking after my diabetic son for the past 10 years. I was not warned these benefits would be removed. I completed a new DLA claim form and they just turned me down. I appealed of course but to no avail.

I am all my boys have got, my parents are elderly and would not be able to look after 2 teenage boys, and my ex-husband lives miles away and has recently had another baby with his new partner.

Luckily Nathan is a fit and healthy boy and a credit to me, as is Sam, my younger son. But would this be the case without my care? I am on call 24/7 for Nat and constantly worry about him.

Anyone in the same situation? Or know of any help? I tried the CAB but they were useless. They made me feel worthless, and a benefit scrounger. Not the case, I am in this situation because of caring for my child with a chronic health condition.

HELP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello kate

When children become a certain age money will stop as they are old enough to look after there own medical condition but he is still your child and you wanrt to lookafter him.

I see you have a younger son and you work 16hours you could apply for working tax credit and child tax credit. This is given as help to people on a lower income. Please look. Online for help regardibg morgage and paing back any overpayments. Can someone support you with these worries, a friend workmate or a trusted neighbour? I wish you lots of luck and if you need a shoulder then please. Pm me.

All the best. RRB

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kate

Yes when your children reach 16 years old in some respects they are classed as an adult, If your son is still in full time education you would still be entitled to working tax and child tax, child benefit and if you are caring for your son for 35 hours a week you would still be entitled to carers allowance (i think you are allowed to work 16 hours a week also). As for morgage help im not to sure about whether housing benefit would help. Maybe contact benefits advise they maybe able to advise you on what you can still claim.

good luck

tracey167

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
have a mortgage? could you not sell your house and move closer to the school, rent and save on petrol? not that i mind buying you house its just an idea

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lacey1

Practical advice from Andy12345 maybe u could encourage your son to take on a bit more management of his diabetes my lad ( only 10 ) can happily make himself a sandwiche or snack of somesort maybe a list on the fridge door of his fav snacks and carb content might help then if he needed u just a little less u could get a better payed job with possible more hrs
Good luck :)

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Sorry to read your story Kate but sometimes tough love is needed. Your lad is 16, he can drive soon and join the military ! You need to perhaps let go a little and encourage him to be more pro-active with his diabetes. I know it's tough cos no matter what age your children are, they're still your babies. If you relax a little with your kids, you can perhaps look for a better job with more hours or something ? Probably not the reply you want to hear but sometimes life just isn't rosy !
Mo

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
mo1905 said:
Sorry to read your story Kate but sometimes tough love is needed. Your lad is 16, he can drive soon and join the military !
he is T1? are you sure? :?:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
FergusCrawford said:
mo1905 said:
Sorry to read your story Kate but sometimes tough love is needed. Your lad is 16, he can drive soon and join the military !
he is T1? are you sure? :?:

Well drive yes, as for the military quote, it was not literal, it was an analogy to highlight he is an adult. I am unaware if T1 would bar him from a military career though. My point remains the same.
Mo

damienwrl

Sorry I have diabetes and get no help I have to live within my means, sadly I am over 16 and my mum doesn't really need to help me...
My wife and I both work full time and can't afford an £800 a month mortgage.... It's tough out there you need to become more self sufficient

jayne15

Join your local carers support- they will be able to offer advise on benefits and offer financial advise without you feeling a fraud. My understanding is that if you earn £100 or less a week you are still entitled to carers allowance. Your ex will have a duty to support both your children whilst they are in full time education and you will be entitled to child benefit to both kids whilst they are both in full time education. The carers support will be able to advise further. In terms of your sons management he really does need to become more independent and self sufficient (without patronizing you) Meg age 8 if needed can make her own snacks (toast, cereals scrambled eggs ect) and can manage most other aspects of her diabetes- injections/ blood testing and treating hypos ect shes been diagnosed 1 year.Its time to reevaluate, its time for you to get some of your life back, diabetes should fit in around you and not the other way, £800 mortgage id remortgage or sell it I couldn't afford that and we are both working full time. take care and let us know how you get on.