Good results this week - thank you all!

julie54

I wanted to just spend some time on here to firstly say a huge 'thank you' for the fact that these forums exist!! My story - in short - is that I was diagnosed out of the blue as type 2 diabetic at the end of May 2013, following a routine health check!! Doctor/DN advice was to give me a prescription! My response was - not to start on medication but to try to control this condition through diet and exercise etc etc. Lots of 'tut - tut - you are being silly' responses from the medical fraternity - but I went ahead on my own journey - irrespective of the fact that they did not agree. Looked at lots of information - readily available on the internet - but found the most useful of information on these forums. Decided to follow the newcastle diet initially - which I did for 5 weeks - mostly as a way to hammer the weight problem!! Then went onto low carb diet - and have continued with this since. My results:

Weight loss to date - 2 stone

Diagnosed end of May 2014 - HbA1c of 101 = 11.4
Reviewed early Aug 2014 HbA1c of 62 = 7.8
Reviewed last week (Nov) HbA1c of 43 = 6.1

All other results of blood test - including cholesterol - were normal - no action! Also all kidney/liver functions were normal - no action!

So - wouldn't we think that my Diabetic Nurse would be thrilled with the results??! Not so, I am afraid!! Almost made me feel that she was quite ticked off that I have done so well!! Told me that - 'of course, you know you are not cured'!!!! Of course I know that!!! She seemed to think that I have no intelligence or insight - because of course she is the expert!! I am not in any way an arrogant person - but I do have a fair amount of intelligence - and have used it to research - and control - this condition!! I also know that I still have some way to go - but so far without the medication which they seem to want to force upon me!! At least this time she did not mention metformin - but would still like me to take statins - because my cholesterol was 6.1 (even though it is down from 7.3 on diagnosis!!) And also my HDL percentage is good!! But - determined as she was to give me SOME tablets - she took my blood pressure - and no surprise - it was high!! So - to appease her - I have agreed to have the 24 hour monitor next week - because if there is a problem, this will show it for definite - or otherwise! I have no doubt that my blood pressure rises the minute I get into the room with her and she begins demolishing my achievements!! But I am quite prepared to give the 24 hour test a go - of course if there is a problem I would want to remedy it through medication if necessary!

My point is - it is such a struggle with the Health Professionals - because it is so easy to prescribe medication these days, rather than allow the individual to understand the condition (I refuse to call it an illness!) and to take steps to control it. I am quite happy with my results - I see it as a personal achievement and plan to continue on my path. As I said to her - it took me a long time to become diabetic, in fact I think I probably was for a long time before diagnosis - so 5 months in I am very pleased to see the results of my efforts and in terms of timespan, it is still quite early days.

She knows I have been following the low carbohydrate way of eating - which as we know goes against the advice given to newly diagnosed type 2's. But then again, she actually did say that she had been looking at diabetes.co.uk website about carbohydrates and the effect on blood glucose - and then promptly printed me off the sheets information - which only told me what I have been doing for the past 5 months since diagnosis!!! Bit late - but if it means that she is now looking at alternatives to NHS advice - al well and good!!

My message today is to say a huge THANK YOU for these forums - and for all of the invaluable information I have gleaned from them over the months which has helped me to get the current results!!!

My journey towards good blood glucose levels has been purely as a result of these forums and all of the wonderful people who take their time an effort to share their experiences. I only hope that I am able to contribute now - and in the future - to help others to get this condition under control. Believe me - it is so worth the effort!!

thank you again for all your help and advice over the last 5 months!! And for the months ahead!!!! Julie :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Fantastic :) well done :thumbup:

you are already helping others by posting your story, inspiring thankyou

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I agree , the advice I have had on here since April has made a huge difference to me.
Im still testing foods and seeing what affects my bg and what doesn't.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

julie54

Thank you for your kind replies!! I wish I knew how to put a picture of my two ***** cats on like you two (Whitby and Andy!!) :oops:
And good luck on your continued journey Jamrox. :thumbup:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lovely story, Julie. Sounds like you're doing great - keep up the good work!

Signs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've always maintained that the information and advice offerred here is second to none.
Thanks guys, you know who you are :D

. . . and give yourself a pat on the back as well Julie.
Anyone can read the information but not all take the responsibility and DO it. :thumbup:

julie54

Thank you all for your words of encouragement! And also - a HUGE thank you to you Whitby for helping me to get my lovely cat Lucy on my profile picture!!! You are a star!!!! :clap: Julie