Hello - support offered!

Hi! I'm Andy - I'm new to the forum but I've had Type 1 diabetes for 12 years now.

I'm looking to talk to other people with diabetes and share experiences that others have with both Type 1 and Type 2 (and everything in between).

I'm also a volunteer with Diabetes UK working on a Peer Support project. I've been through some training and myself and one other volunteer are in the process of starting out with the service.

I know forums can be a great place to receive support for those days where diabetes can feel as if it's overwhelming you, and I'm hoping the Peer Support service will add another option for some people.

You can read more about Peer Support on our blog (http://diabetespeersupport.blogspot.com/) or you can e-mail [email protected]

Thanks in advance and please ask if you have any questions. Look forward to chatting either on the forums or elsewhere.

Andy

simonng

Hi Andy, welcome. I think other than support we should also provide more education and awareness to the complication of diabetes. Some people like me taken it for granted and now suffering. We should try to help those who are weaker. Otherwise It is good to volunteer. Once I get better with my neuropathy I will do the same here in Singapore. Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7105 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Hi Simon - thanks! Yes I think you're right about education as well as support. One of the things we'll look to do is to signpost people to sources of information as well. As we're volunteers, we have to be careful not to give out medical advice in case it's misleading so there is a fine line between educating and offering advice. I think if we can make the difference clear then this is a good idea. I hope your neuropathy improves soon!

Thanks Thundercat - glad to be here!

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like a great initiative! Diabetes can be a huge, insidious emotional burden, and it's such an invisible one. This kind of service would make a big difference.

I'm also a big believer in education, though. Many people who are struggling with diabetes are struggling in part because they lack the understanding or motivation to improve their management.

Yes, there is a fine line between educating and offering medical advice. That should not be an excuse to stand well back from the line. It should be encouragement to learn to clearly identify that line and learn how to get as close as you can to it without crossing it. Because the closer you can get to it, the more you can help people reduce their suffering!