Type 2 diabetic

shank 52

11 days ago i had to go for a check up the nurse asked me how i was i told her much of the same hot sweets iritable as normal she checked my bloods they where 25 she wasnt very happy with me,she asked me do i check them i said no my doctor told me i didnt need to as im on metformin twice a day type2 so i just need to watch my diet.

The nurse said i should check my bloods so i have been and they have not been below 14.5 and as hi as 21.5 yesterday i have spoken to other people and they have said i need an insulin injecsion to get my bloods down as my bloods are very high.

Today i phoned my doctor and he has told me not to check my bloods i dont need to as im only type two and on metformen not to worry my blood is a bit high watch my diet drink plenty of warter and we will check your blood in 3months.

Imust admit now im very confused what do you think ? regards Shank.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I think your doctor is a stupid "shanker". At those levels further action is required to reduce your BGs. Get yourself a decent GP!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, your GP is not doing his job and you must find someone else or see the nurse instead. Metformin only ever has a small effect on blood sugar; perhaps 1mmol. If you are already on a low-carb diet then your GP/Nurse must add additional tablets to your meds such as Gliclazide. At your blood sugar level they should be doing an HBa1C blood test now and follow the NICE Pathways document on medication depending on the blood test result (Google the document on the web). If you are not already low-carbing then you must set yourself a target daily level of, say, 150gm max with low-GI when you can. If your bloods do continue to rise and stay in the 20s then you are a possible Late onset Type 1 and may need insulin fairly urgently. Do continue to measure yourself and use ketone sticks as well if you go into the 20s regularly.

Unbeliever

It never ceases to amaze me that people like Daibell can give so much good advice so succinctly on here and yet many of those whose job it is andwho have been trained in diabetes management are so utterly clueless.
They tend to make a mystery of it all because they dont understand it themselves and the poor patient becomes utterly confused.

Maybe some experts on here should write their own diabetes handbook . They could raise money for research byselling it to the NHs. :lol:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i agree totally considering we are in the midst of a so called epidemic, dont you think the doctors would maybe have the first clue about diabetes, so irritating, i made ridiculously good progress with all tests last visit to the doc and her only comment was your cholesterol is still abit high, lol never once asked me what id done, its pathetic, its criminal

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
oops sorry i was too busy being annoyed...

hi, welcome shank, i agree with previous advice, good luck

shank 52

Thanks for all your reply's i suppose im now even moor worried as i have not been checking my blood sugars for a couple of years my bloods have been high all this time i would bet,

Iv had hot sweats felt very drowsy short tempered and genrally not well for a long time and iv put it down to me working two nights a week wich throws my sleeping pattern out the window.

I must admit i have been ignorant as to what i eat for a long time my staple diet is chips pies bacon sausage so im eating all the wrong foods i need to make a change,but thakyou all for making the effort to help.

The only thing i dont no what to do next as my doctor has said come back in three months for a check up what can i do ?
Ps what is Avisandum!" regards Shank.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Are you able to self test now ? It's never too late for a fresh start. Try to avoid the foods you know aren't helping. The chips, pies etc. The sausages and bacon are actually not too bad as far as carbs go but eat in moderation. Try to maintain some sort of regular exercise too, even if it's just walking. This will certainly help and will reduce your BG levels and alleviate some of the signs/symptoms. Good luck !
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

simonng

Yes. You need to monitor and take action. Diabetes is like a time bomb if left uncontrolled at least this is what happened to me. I am now suffering in pain due to neglecting it. Hope it helps. Take care. Cheers.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using DCUK Forum mobile app

shank 52

mo1905 said:
Are you able to self test now ? It's never too late for a fresh start. Try to avoid the foods you know aren't helping. The chips, pies etc. The sausages and bacon are actually not too bad as far as carbs go but eat in moderation. Try to maintain some sort of regular exercise too, even if it's just walking. This will certainly help and will reduce your BG levels and alleviate some of the signs/symptoms. Good luck !
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Thanks Mo yes i have a kit to test

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Morganator said:
The only Avisandum I could find was a legal term meaning under consideration. hth
Yep,
That is my standard response to anything a HCP tells me to do, i.e. I hear what you are telling me, but i will consider it and check it out before considering actioning it. 8)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Unbeliever and thanks for your kind comment. Yes, it is simply amazing how lacking in knowledge so many of these professionals are. I think it is improving a bit as I haven't seen many of the deadly 'take starchy carbs with every meal' quotes from docs and nurses recently in posts.

Hi Shank. I also had to wait the frustrating 3 months when I was diagnosed. GPs tend to get you to diet first and then do tests after 3 months. The less with-it docs don't seem to realise that you may have very high blood sugar during that time; it's not a problem if you are only slightly high. I think the best way forward is to go onto the low-carb diet with exercise and make sure you setup an appointment for that 3 month point. Do get hold of a meter and strips regardless of the docs advice; your nurse is right and it looks like the nurse would like to offer more but is constrained by the doc. Be prepared to argue your case about testing with the doc; he can't stop you testing! I did my own testing for 8 years at my own cost despite the doc saying it wasn't needed but the nurse saying it was OK. As I said in my earlier post, if your bloods keep going up during the 3 months despite low-carbing then go back to the doc or A&E if urgent. At the 3 months make sure the doc does an HBa1c test before or gives you a blood test form at the appointment itself.

simonng

shank 52 said:
Sorry to hear that simon do you mind me asking what type of pain your in ?

Hi, I am now suffering from peripheral neuropathy or diabetes nerve damage. Sharp shooting pain and sensitive needle sensation on my feet and lower legs. All due to bad sugar controlled over long period of time. The pain is affecting my sleep, my footwear, my walk and even exercising. Currently on nerve pain killer and vit b12. My last hba1c was 8.4% in oct down from 12.7% in july. I want to bring it lower which is fundamental to prevent further pain and damage. I understand there is no cure for peripheral neuropathy and I must say its painful. Hope this helps. Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7105 using DCUK Forum mobile app

shank 52

Thanks for informing me sorry to here this hope this eases off in someway this illness is so cruell good luck for the future regards shank