Hats off to ya

lacey1

Well wanting to support my husband (type 1) as much as i possibly can i convinced him to fish out his spear pump and yep i now got a cannula in and a pump attached (no insulin of course ) i know i will never be able to understand completely i just want to understand as much as i can and so far i don't like it lol i take my hat off to u all i got this constant tiny distraction at the back of my mind all the time that its there and wanted to say to everyone wow well done i know u don't have a choice in the matter but still at times must be frustrating to say the least mine is and Im taking it off in 24hrs knowing i don't need to put it back on loads of respect to my husband and u all

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

justjay

lucky husband, that's actually a really amazing thing to do imo. I'm on a pump and can't imagine for one minute my other half doing that! lol but seriously thanks for posting that :)

lacey1

Re: Hats off to ya

Thanks justjay thought people might think Im a nutter lol so appreciate the reply
Just think it would be nice if once and a while it was possible for people like my husband and u to have a holiday from the condition just for 1 day to not carb count inject/pump finger prick like i said i know its a must for a healthy life but it is a bit of a pain in the **** u walk around day in day out and no one knows and sometimes don't wanna know the stresses and decisions u make daily living with diabetes just wanted to say there r people like me too who do care sympathise and admire all u live with and go through x

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance

I hope they hurry up with the "like" button, I think this is one of the most moving things I have read for a long time. I am T2 so do not have to inject, and I also take my hat off to all the T1's out there. :wink:

Reactions: 3 people

lacey1

Hi chubbyian all diabetics type 1 or 2 i take my hat off too it hangs over all ur heads like an invisible weight and the fact u can't see it i think makes it harder yes things could always be worse that's true in everyones life but want to acknowledge what diabetics live with and what a fab job u all do ur you're own doctor nurse and therapist lol and ur not on ur own people care i promise i know i do x

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Well done showing moral support. How did you find it/finding it if still on you. I love my pump, but, sometimes is a pita carrying it or having it strapped to me 24/7. Don't get me wrong, much better than injecting and improved control, still.....

lacey1

Well completed 24 hrs and yep it's ok but found it very frustrating going to the loo and after working all day with it and feeling it as i bent over etc i will be glad to remove it shortly i have learnt that its a constant distraction even if it is a small one not once did i forget about it not even while sleeping found myself waking when i rolled over just gives me more understanding and admiration for all people living with diabetes whether pumping injecting or tablet controlled its a big deal and respect where its due to u all and can't believe my wonderful husband works full time is an amazing husband and farther and does his best to look on the bright side Im a very lucky girl x

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

chubbyian said:
I hope they hurry up with the "like" button, I think this is one of the most moving things I have read for a long time. I am T2 so do not have to inject, and I also take my hat off to all the T1's out there. :wink:

Hi chubbyian .

Keep your eye's peeled [so to speak!]

The "like button" will soon be revealed plus loads of other great features too :thumbup:

They are all for the benefit of members and will be so welcomed - am sure ...

Anna .

justjay

lacey1 said:
Thanks justjay thought people might think Im a nutter lol so appreciate the reply
Just think it would be nice if once and a while it was possible for people like my husband and u to have a holiday from the condition just for 1 day to not carb count inject/pump finger prick like i said i know its a must for a healthy life but it is a bit of a pain in the **** u walk around day in day out and no one knows and sometimes don't wanna know the stresses and decisions u make daily living with diabetes just wanted to say there r people like me too who do care sympathise and admire all u live with and go through x

no not at all! shame most people don't think like you do with these things :)

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I often wish we could get hold of some saline pens so that when we get the old question of "do the injections hurt" we can set one up and hand it over for them to try for themselves.

Personally I find that the blood tests tend to hurt more than the shots, except when I hit a nerve or blood vessel and it bruises beautifully.
But it is what it is, you can mope and moan or just get on with life.... I chose option 2 right out of the gate :)

/A

lacey1

I agree andys the finger pricking does hurt most done that for 24hrs too a few months ago every time hubby did before food 2hrs after eating before driving etc and yep had very sore fingers lol also wanted to feel what injecting like so just used a new needle and inserted it without injecting it wasn't to bad but i know its the insulin that can sometimes give a little sting
I personal feel it has helped me understand and sympathise just a little bit more then maybe if i had not tried it all out different things for different people i know bit after trying it all still wish there was a way i could give my hubby a day off from it all like i said hats off too ya all x x x

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Wow lacey, that is a seriously impressive level of support. Your husband is a very lucky to have you at his side. Feeling understood makes such a huge difference but for someone to do what you did to gain understanding is exceptional. You apparently have a heart made of solid gold:)

moom1973

Dislikes
Being unhappy

Any chance you could leave your husband and marry me instead Lacey?! What a lucky man he is, bless ya :clap:

lacey1

I would like to thank everyone for all the lovely comments means alot that u don't see my little experiment as crazy and u understand the meaning behind it its helped me so much to understand my husbands day to day pressures of living with diabetes and i would highly recommend all spouses and partners give it a try some things can't be communicated in words and sometimes experiences need to be shared to be understood i think x x x

lacey1

Recently i have been able to sympathise even more i have just found out i have a blood disorder and even though not serious and as soon as i get my meds should be ok i have experienced poor concentration extreme tiredness mood swings and generally feeling **** and its getting me down and i have only been poorly for a few weeks and will soon be on the mend this feeling comes frequently for diabetics and u don't know when u will feel better and for how long so o have said it before and ill say it again hats of to all of ya x x x

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I often don't post replies to things as I always find I would be repeating what had already been said by someone else....BUT I had to reply to this - this is amazing Lacey!! I just wish that doctors and the young know-it-all consultants had the courage to try 'being diabetic' for 24 hours. Perhaps they would stop being quite so judgmental...

Hope you feel better soon xx

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi, wow, thats really heartwarming and felt I just had to say. A very nice post to read. have you had tests for the blood disorder you mentioned hope you don't mind me asking, and feel better soon .

lacey1

Thanks brett appreciate ur comment and yes i have had blood tests only a miner problem should be sorted soon just awful side affects while waiting for treatment but getting it sorted Mon fingers crossed x