Sweet Potatoes

eaglet

Dislikes
Politics and things I won't go in to in a public forum
Hi,
My BG is 6.1 and is down from 6.5 over a year or so, not bad. Saying this I can have high readings after a 1/2 a toasted white baguette? Last night I had a sweet potato, micro-waved, and a small bowl of salad. starting figures were 4.4 after 2 hours it was 12.1, after another 1/2 hr it was down to 8+. After the HbA1c readings being good I get these types of readings and I hardly eat potatoes. Any ideas, apart from stopping eating potatoes and baguettes?

Dustybin

Sounds as hough you are very carb sensitive and that this causes spikes. I can't touch white bread and when i used to eat sweet potatoes they spiked me too . Maybe some exercise after eating or if you want to go on eating bread and sweet potaoes try them at a different tme . Sometimes you can tolerate them better at one part of the day rather than another.

If your levels are really good at other timss these high readings may not be having much effect.

janieeb

I used to get the same re white so moved to Burgeon and also sweet potatoes send me crackers so I go for swede ad cauliflower in stead.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yup sorry, these are just things some cant tolerate :( white bread is a no no for most, have you tried butternut squash instead of the sweet potatoe they are similar but i prefer the taste of butternut personally and much better for bgs (i think)