Sick :(

hornplayer

Got tonsillitis. Can barely swallow or speak. Breathing feels obstructed by swelling. I can keep down sips of water and I ate an apple. (It took me an hour :( ) I'm T2 on Metformin - at least I would be if I could keep the tablets down. I eat low carb. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can eat that will get past a closed throat, provide a dose of calories and, preferably, not hit my stomach so hard that it comes back up. The usual pre diabetes full sugar jelly, mashed potato soup and ice cream fall backs are out of the question. I don't have any in the house and I can do without a spike. I'm already running higher than usual due to the infection.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Maybe you could try chocolate soya milk, maybe some chicken boulion, def try some sugar free jelly maybe with some cream?

Hope you feel better soon.

WhitbyJet

Aw you poor thing, gargle with warm salty water, you could have sugarfree jelly and cream is comforting, and how about a creamy, cheesy cauli mash? And chicken soup is good as well, get hold of Sambucol, from health shops or pharmacy, it really does what it says on the box, boosts immune system and shortens the duration of a cold.

Hope you feel better really soon x

Nada

Someone mentioned adding ground almond to hot choc for those on low carbs to give them a boost and I tried it and love it. Also, I found mixing yogurts with any favourite fruit etc is easier to take - I think I prefer it to icecream now. Bear in mind what yogurt you use as some have too much sugar added to them if already flavoured of course although I do have a soft spot for the Greek yogurt with honey!!! I have heard of folks mixing cream cheese spread or any runny cheese / from age frais with minced meat too. I had diabolical throat infection years ago took 2 days to eat one small pork chop and I know what it's like hope you're feeling better soon.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Poor you, tonsillitis is miserable especially when you are so restricted in what you can eat. Low carb soup is dead simple to make yourself but I am guessing you just can't be bothered and apart from a bowl of low carb pureed veg which is pretty much what soup is anyway, I am afraid I have no other suggestions.

Take care, keep warm and drink loads of fluids. Get well soon

hornplayer

Got jelly. No cream. I've eaten some but not much. Hurts too much. :( Given up on the chocolate too.

Thanks for the replies guys. I really am feeling very sorry for myself.

Having a problem taking tablets. If I manage to swallow enough water to get them down then I throw up. :( :(

Funniest thing is that the new doctor I saw yesterday - one who doesn't know my history with tonsillitis and couldn't be bothered to read, said that I didn't meet the "government, sorry, medical councils criteria for immediate treatment" and gave me a post dated script, in case it didn't clear up on its own. When I get tonsillitis it goes from 0-60 in about 24hrs. Dad went up there this morning and played holy hell. He saw the nurse practitioner, who really does know my history and she was horrified. Trouble is, it's got a good hold now. I don't think the antibiotics are going to fix it. :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you get better sooner than you think.
Make sure you get plenty of nice goodies from Tesco's

Roy.

[

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Hi "Horn player" ... Sorry you're ill and feeling lousy. Sipping Soluble paracetamol over about a twenty minute period should ease the throat pain. It was routine post op analgesia for children following tonsillectomy. As you're an adult you could substitute Dispirin for sol paracetamol.

hornplayer

You know "beach bag" you don't have to call me "hornplayer", it's okay for people to know you're my mum! :)

- just don't look at the Black Friday post I put up a few days ago, - your children are always impeccably behaved! :) - and, judging by the lack of any response to said post, so is everyone on here!

And don't use the tonsillectomy word! Evil and nasty!!

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Hehehehe.....hi love, hope you're a little better today x. As you may or may not be aware, there isn't much that really surprises me. I've read your Christmas post, am I surprised by it? not a bit, and if I wasn't on this forum, I'm sure there would be many postings about what you got up to during the years you spent flitting around various parts of the world, all in the name of music!

hornplayer

Still sick. Finally saw a doctor who took the trouble to read my notes. Now have an ear infection on top of the tonsillitis. On double strength, big gun antibiotics, new heavy duty painkillers, layered with nurophen.

I hurt. It REALLY hurts to play! :(

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Sounds awful.
That's such a shame, hornplayer. I'm sorry to read that.

I've never experienced tonsillitis, but I sympathise with you.
Hope you become well again very soon.

Best wishes.

willie.