pete1140

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
nothing really
I have just looked at when I was diagnosed and it has been 2 years

I have been diagnised for 2 years now and on tablets which i never wanted to do
When i was first diagnosed was quite upbeat and determined to get weight off and go down the diet and exercise route only

2 years on and am heavier than I started and on tablets as well. And I dont seem to care, I dont even care if i dont take them or not either.
I have had my ups and downs through the 2 years but at minute do feel at my lowest
I have rejoined the weigh group as a push to try and motivate me
I now realise my days are not really organised. i Know what i need to do but then 3 hours later and havent done anything.
I have stopped posting as i am asking the same things, and must get boring for you all.

How do i get the motivation to get started again
I know I need to start with food and getting a menu sorted for advance so I can be more organised in what I eat, even if it means me cooking it
its sometimes difficult as my wife is such a plain eater and I am too some extreme but veg wise i like and eat a lot more.

In some ways I dont even know why I am writting this I dont know what i am asking for??
wow I have just noticed I haven’t done blog for 7 months.

The last 2 years have gone quite quick but I have been so down not all diabetes but it hasn’t helped. I also haven’t taken tablets as often as I should but who cares has been my thought

I have quite a bit going on and so my diabetes I have put on the back burner even though I know what the complication long term are they are not here so can wait

My father in law has dementia but lives at his house they say he is not bad enough to go into a home but can be quite bad at times. My shift pattern helps a lot as I get days off in the week and this helps a lot as my wife works mon to fri. I am the bad one according to father in law but I know this Is down to dementia so doesn’t and wont stop me helping where I can. my wife has to go and do his tea on a Monday and Tuesday after work and does 3 weekends outta 4 due to a family member pulling out of helping him anymore.
eating proper then for me has been quite difficult as he is a very plain eater so unless we cook more meals when we get home at 7ish I eat high carbs.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Sometimes tough love is needed I'm afraid. The reality is your mitivation is simple, blindness or amputations ! Those words put the fear of God in me and keep me on target. You probably already know what you need to do, reduce carbs, lose some weight and try to do some form of regular exercise. I know it's tough but that is the answer unfortunately. Good luck though and keep us posted with your progress.
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nada

Pete
We all go through down periods and can get overwhelmed by life at times. Best advice I received was make one small change something easy and simple never look at everything full on it can be too much and too bleak!! Gradually introduce more positive little changes and one day you look back and see you've changed quite a bit and feel better. I will give you some egs to explain:
Naughty foods - like Chinese takeaways or curries etc - don't deny yourself or ban them but take the smallest bowl or plate you can find and only eat what fits it - you get the taste etc but a fraction of the calories and so on. Some folks use the same method for all meals if doing diets.
Exercise - we don't all love the gym or triathlons if you can use the car for one less trip a week or a day and walk or if on the bus or train get off one stop before your usual stop that will add up over time. Go up and down stairs a few extra times for no other reason.
Other people - if you find folks impact on your daily routine / mood suggest something you would like to do once a month or once a week. It can be for a short time or a whole day but suggest "we try this" quite often people don't change routines / menus / hobbies etc because they have got stuck in a rut. If you want to try 'life drawing' or a salsa class or a trip to a museum or to see a film of your choice or try a different chilli sauce on a meal explain it's an experiment and others might join in.
A small change can make you feel better - make your goals bite size not huge. These are just examples I am not implying anything they are just to show scale it down make it achievable.
And we have shift workers in the family - the freezer is a huge bonus. Make your fav meals when you can and freeze portions for when you have less time. We freeze mild homemade curries but add fresh chillies or chilli sauce for the more dangerous palettes who like lava:)

I hope you find something little that makes a difference and gives you a boost. These wintery nights can make things seem worse sometimes and problems can overwhelm us - don't let them. x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
have you read terminal and scared? if not have a read, if that dosent motivate you i dont know what will, this isnt easy....so what! i know how hard it is looking after someone who is losing there marbles, my nan got alzheimers and we went through years of hell with her, she eventually died after not opening her eyes or moving for 5 years but that was the easy part, the hard part was the earlier stages i can start to explain what it was like, but im sure you know, but you will yourself need some care soon if you dont get yourself sorted out, you want to do that to your wife? you want to go blind and worse because you dont want to or cant be bothered or are too busy to cook something healthier for you? ***! get a grip, you have to do this for you and your family! start from today! amaze yourself, start writing down everything you eat, test your bloods regular, dont tell me your doc dosent give you strips, buy the dam strips, and take your meds, you wont die from diabetes youll die from stupidity, im sorry if this is harsh but i dont know what else to say, maybe if i have nothing nice to say i should say nothing but ive typed it now lol ill leave it to someone nicer than me to be gentle with you

ok tomorow morning start a fresh, write down what you eat next to that what your bloods are, look for patterns, work out what works around your life, post how you get on here, look back on this thread in 3 months and have something to be proud of, its never too late to get better

look at the thread "terminal and scared" reply to kman and tell him why you arent trying

best of luck, im routing for you even if im being arsey :)

K

Kat100

Everyone is so different, and we all need to find different ways of copying, I know what Andy is asking you to read. But your problem is about you and your problem, I hope you find a way to help you that works for you, you don't have to compare your problems either with anyone else, focus on yourself we are all so different.
Best dishes Kat x

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you drag a trolley half way up a hill, then let go to take a rest, it will roll down again. The next time you try you will simply be tired sooner.

You need to change something else to make the task much easier for you. Maybe the other side of the hill is not as steep? Maybe you can rest the trolley against a tree? Maybe you can get someone to help?

Something needs to change, so that the problem fits more with your capabilities and temperament. Perhaps something that lightens the load without much effort, or something you can be enthusiastic or even passionate about. Maybe try a low-fat diet. Maybe you're not the type to enjoy the gym, or a weight-loss group, but would lose weight without even noticing by joining a volunteer organisation. Or buying a bicycle and using it instead of driving (saddle bags can help you carry the shopping home!). Maybe you should discuss the option of insulin with your doctor - we type 1s need to inject insulin 4 times a day, there's no shame in it, and it can make it much easier for you to achieve your targets.

Maybe take a moment each morning to be thankful for your health and commit to looking after your body that day. Maybe take an interest in cooking interesting foods - there are so many delicious recipes on the web!

These are but suggestions to get you thinking - think what you can change that you could be enthusiastic about, or that might give a lot of bang for your buck.

All the best!

Switch2501

If you love eating veg you're on to a winner.
Hardly any carbs, good for you, veg is just awesome. And that's for everyone not just diabetics.

You're already one up on me. I wish I liked veg more than I do but I don't.

james_1d

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a lot of conflicting advice even amoung the professionals who are giving advice on the condition daily in their jobs.

To my mind, if your pancreas has got to the stage where it can't produce and release enough insulin (resulting in Type 2 Diabetes), then the damage is done. Losing weight will not change your pancreas and it's level of insulin release. It might stop it getting worse. I am no professional, this is just my logic...

What seems to be working for me is a mix of Metformin (3 x 500mg and 2 x 80mg Gliclazide + Exercise). I don't cut carbs that much, but don't add sugar to anything or eat sweets.

The bloods because you are diabetic will always yo you much more than a non diabetic, so I'd advise only taking a measurement first thing in the morning...and not through out the day....spikes are to be expected...and only add to upset you more if you do measure throughout the consuming day.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
james_1d said:
To my mind, if your pancreas has got to the stage where it can't produce and release enough insulin (resulting in Type 2 Diabetes), then the damage is done. Losing weight will not change your pancreas and it's level of insulin release. It might stop it getting worse. I am no professional, this is just my logic...

Type 2 diabetes is generally not a problem with the pancreas but a problem with the cells in your body becoming "insulin resistant". Over time high blood sugars can lead to damage to the pancreas which make the disease worse.

And in any case, the body is amazing at healing itself, if you give it what it needs. A few friends of mine have stroke survivors in their family, one of whom was supposed to be a vegetable for life, another few were told they would never walk. All of them are walking and talking!

I'm a type 1 diabetic and although it's a long shot, I still hold out hope that the doctors have missed something and there may be a way to reverse my disease. That's why research exists, after all: even experts don't know everything yet!

james_1d

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
mentat said:
That's why research exists, after all: even experts don't know everything yet!

Very true, but we need to use out brightest talents to do Science and research into health issues...not into makeing better more effective weapons and defence systems.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Pete

I agree with Andy (as usual) read the thread Terminal and Scared. It's scary.

I stuck my head in the sand about Diabetes for ages. Then I started to get symptoms so I couldnt ignore it anymore.

I have lost weight and I feel so much better. I never thought being overweight bothered me. I was fat and fit. But having shrunk down I can recommend weight loss.

Read the book Carbs and Cals - it has pictures of portion sizes from tiny super model to greedy lorry driver. That was an eye opener!

Have you looked at the research on the Newcastle Diet? It's meal replacement shakes. It can have a dramatic effect if you can stick to it.

Keep posting, keep asking questions. How about being ultra good til Xmas? Mini goals, something to aim at.

Good luck

Cara

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
james_1d said:
There is a lot of conflicting advice even amoung the professionals who are giving advice on the condition daily in their jobs.

What seems to be working for me is a mix of Metformin (3 x 500mg and 2 x 80mg Gliclazide + Exercise). I don't cut carbs that much, but don't add sugar to anything or eat sweets.

The bloods because you are diabetic will always yo you much more than a non diabetic, so I'd advise only taking a measurement first thing in the morning...and not through out the day....spikes are to be expected...and only add to upset you more if you do measure throughout the consuming day.

your advice is to test only once a day because we have to expect spike? lol really? wheres the benefit in only taking one test a day, because what we dont know wont hurt us? ummmm, and if you did actually cut your carbs your mix of meds may be able to be reduced

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
[/
Losing weight will not change your pancreas and it's level of insulin release. It might stop it getting worse. I am no professional, this is just my logic...]

I have to disagree on weight loss. It will change things for the better. See The Newcastle Study for the possibility of a cure or at least remission from Type 2

Weight loss improves insulin sensitivity and if people take action when they are in a pre-diabetic state there is a good chance they can avoid full blown type 2

james_1d

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy12345 said:
your advice is to test only once a day because we have to expect spike? lol really? wheres the benefit in only taking one test a day, because what we dont know wont hurt us? ummmm, and if you did actually cut your carbs your mix of meds may be able to be reduced

I was only going on the advice by my diabetic nurse....wait....your going to **** her advice :crazy:

Perhaps my faulty logic, but if I eat a carb, I know it's going to spike my blood sugar higher than a non diabetic, so why should I be surprised if I measure then....

If measured first thing in the morning you are starting from a level where you bloods should be at it's most level given you're fast over night. If the general diet/meds and exercise are working, then I'd have thought this morning figure should improve over time...sorry I did not know you were the authority in the subject and we should all perhaps bow to your superior knowledge :shock:

K

Kat100

No one on this site has the right knowledge to assist, only suggestions can be made and support given, we are all different with so many different problems....
Support is great and suggestions, but I still brûlée everyone is do different.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
james_1d said:
Andy12345 said:

I was only going on the advice by my diabetic nurse....wait....your going to **** her advice :crazy:

Perhaps my faulty logic, but if I eat a carb, I know it's going to spike my blood sugar higher than a non diabetic, so why should I be surprised if I measure then....

If measured first thing in the morning you are starting from a level where you bloods should be at it's most level given you're fast over night. If the general diet/meds and exercise are working, then I'd have thought this morning figure should improve over time...sorry I did not know you were the authority in the subject and we should all perhaps bow to your superior knowledge :shock:

i dont even know where to start so ill leave this thread alone, appologies for any involvement

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
james_1d said:
Andy12345 said:

I'm slagging her advice too just like most DSN's who aint got a clue about safe diabetes control..."Testing isn't necessary-It will make you depressed-Plenty of carbs with each meal-Your HbA1c has gone up-you must have cheated on my dietary recommendations by eating donuts..." Quack Quack Quack :thumbdown:

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pete,

Sounds like the world is just getting on top of you.

I have great sympathy with your position and you seem to me to be a bit depressed.

With the best will in the world, just telling you to get a grip is unlikely to achieve much.

My mother had dementia over a ten year period so I know how draining that can be. I also have several friends who are going through various stages in caring for their elderly and in some cases demented relatives.

Try to make a couple of changes and improve at least one aspect of your day to day life.

One step might be to push for more support for your relative. The system will let you run yourself into the ground if you are willing to do so. You should try to place some restriction on the time you spend on it and create some time for yourself. Use this time to do something you enjoy, preferably at least once a week. You need to get some more pleasure into your life. Once you've done this, you might find you've got the space to think a little more clearly about where you are in your life and where you want to be.

Once you start feeling a bit better, you'll be better placed to manage your diabetes.

Hope you feel better soon.

pete1140

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
nothing really
thanks for all replies
some are a bit harsh but I agree its what you need sometimes.
I have had chance to re read my post and realise how sorry I am feeling for myself and at the end of day and worst scenario wat a burden I could be putting on my wife and family.
the advice about small changes is good, to try and change everything at once is a lot and obviously not worked so will look at what small changes I can do, and will start with food intake
I am a member of a gym and will add that at same time but have decided my main focus is the food

thanks again everyone
will keep u posted, my aim is a stone off for Christmas

Morganator

My Mum has dementia, I thought I was superwoman and that I was the only one who knew how to care for her. This went on for 2 years until I ended up in hospital for a month 200 miles from home.
My local social work department stepped in, put home helps in, organised daily visits by community nursing team for her insulin injection and a befriending service which visits for 4 hours on a Wednesday.
It is still hard, I can get 20 phone calls a day asking the same question and some days she can be really nasty but now I can speak to the carers and cry on their shoulders then pick myself up and keep going.
The biggest change has been that I visit as a daughter now and Mum has plenty to talk about because she is getting stimulation from all her other visitors.
It did feel selfish at the beginning but I see now that it makes me a better carer and therefore my Mum is happier which is all I have wanted since her diagnosis.
So please don't be too proud to ask for help, your Father-in-law needs you and your wife to be happy and healthy so you can support him at home.
Will be thinking of all 3 of you, take care.