Chocolate Rant!

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I miss chocolate!! No, not the teeny one square a day thing but the whole block! The whole packet of choccy biccies, in fact the whole truckload of stuff I used to enjoy that has dumped me in this situation! I know, I know, this is an absolutely useless post, not helpful to man nor beast and particularly not to those of us who are suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune of carb and chocolate deprivation (Sorry Mr Shakespeare :wink: ) but oh dear oh dear……

There are those of us on here who, through no fault of their own, are afflicted with this diabetes misfortune. Those people who aren't overweight, who haven’t practiced the wholesale destruction of their bodies by over-indulging at every opportunity ever since they could crawl to the biscuit barrel and prise open the lid with their chubby fingers, who are fit and active and always have been. Me? Nah…that’s not me. The blame, and it probably is blame, lays solely at my door. There was no known diabetes in my family, both my parents were thin as rails, my siblings are normally weighted but me? well there you have it.

Now I am aware of my situation, I do the right things almost all the time. I eat as many carbs as is necessary to allow me lose weight efficiently but to not hypo. I feel much fitter having lost almost 30kgs, I can move easier, my clothes are fitting me, even the ones I never thought I would fit into. My blood results are spot on and all in all, I am doing okay but………I STILL MISS CHOCOLATE!

Rant over :)

K

Kat100

You are doing well....keep going....I did have a bit of fair trade 70% this evening....

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
Oh I know the feeling! I bought the big bar of Galaxy Cookie crumble, it lasted a week, because I was having at least 2 square pieces of it a day, my god do they shoot your sugars up, i hate it!, usually a big bar wouldn't last a whole day with me before I was diagnosed, haha! :lol:

But well done to you anyway :D!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Erm. You said you are not overweight and didn't indulge yet you say you have lost 30Kg?? Some conflict there? Anyway why not try 85% Dark Chocolate? It's low in carbs and there are several brands and believe me you do get used to it and I now find the sugary milk stuff far too sweet

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Daibell said:
Erm. You said you are not overweight and didn't indulge yet you say you have lost 30Kg?? Some conflict there?

Ah yes, I see where I went wrong there. I meant, even if I sounded a tad confused at the time, that I WAS overweight unlike all those people who did everything right. Anyway, deleted that bit :)

I know about dark chocolate and we have some lovely ones here right up to 90% cocoa but having it anywhere near me, even dark stuff that I don't really like, is dangerous! It's better for me to go on missing it really, sad though that is.

Nicola-M

Popsy, actually, for me, your chocolate rant was perfectly timed - so definitely not a waste of time. I'm researching what diabetics miss most in the sweet and pudding departments, with a view to getting more decent products into the supermarkets, high streets and restaurants. Ok, I'm in the UK, but it's good to know what everyone misses most, wherever you are, so thanks for that. :thumbup:

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never really been a huge chocolate fan, I always preferred crisps. What doesn't help is my partners chocolate addiction and the fact that he offers me a bite every day when he has his "fix". I try to leave the room when the chocolates makes an appearance and I worry he's heading for type 2 but I don't like to go on about it too much. What I really miss are wine gums, sometimes i treat myself to 4 or 5 but not very often, although they do taste much sweeter now than they used to as i think the less sugar you eat it affects how sweet it tastes - if that makes any sense?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

tizzy

Me too I long to just stuff a whole bar in one go put my ready reads on to eat a box of maltesers sigh they looked huge .,

skipbifferty

You're falling into the trap that diabetics cant eat chocolate. Are you type 2? If not, and you're type 1 like me, just eat a bar and dose for it and see what happens! Depending on the brand and type of chocolate, I think you might be surprised. Saying that, I do have a few too many hypos and I am on an insulin pump moment. Just for the record, milk chocolate is usually alright, the fattier the better regarding blood sugar levels. Let's help dispel some of the myths about diabetes please. Sorry for the rant.

elizabethenaj

Oh Popsy,

a soulmate at last!. I was diagnosed last month with Type 2 and miss chocolate, biscuits, cakes, desserts.........I think you get the picture. I too take full responsibility for my health but feel totally cheated.

I love salads, vegetables and other healthy foods but I miss the being able to have an unplanned snack when I want one, I miss diving into a packet of biscuits in the car after visiting the supermarket and I also feel as if this is all a temporary situation which will 'get better and allow me to eat normally again'. It won't!

I do have good control of sugar levels though so must be doing something right........how on earth will we manage at Christmas?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have a raging sweet tooth especially when it comes to chocolate. I'm not able to give it up I can maybe go a week without any then I will eat a very large bar at once. If I don't buy it I can't stop thinking about it and I'll have to go and buy some!

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Cruelty

skipbifferty said:
You're falling into the trap that diabetics cant eat chocolate.

Thanks for the post skipbifferty. I am a T2 and know just what a bar of chocolate will do to my levels, it sends them sky high. I know that a wee piece now and again probably doesn't do much damage but really it's more about missing the freedom of having just what I want and not thinking about it.

I was thinking the other day though, that this diabetes trauma may be a weird blessing in disguise. It's given me the kick up the behind I needed to get on track and take care of my health, to be more aware of what does and doesn't keep me well and I think that the more self-awareness I have the better! :)

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Cruelty

elizabethenaj said:
Oh Popsy,

a soulmate at last!. I was diagnosed last month with Type 2 and miss chocolate, biscuits, cakes, desserts.........I think you get the picture. I too take full responsibility for my health but feel totally cheated.

I love salads, vegetables and other healthy foods but I miss the being able to have an unplanned snack when I want one, I miss diving into a packet of biscuits in the car after visiting the supermarket and I also feel as if this is all a temporary situation which will 'get better and allow me to eat normally again'. It won't!

I do have good control of sugar levels though so must be doing something right........how on earth will we manage at Christmas?

You've only been diagnosed a month, that's doing the hard yards. It's a shock but a challenge and you sound like you are up for that!

But that's it, the unplanned bit, the standing next to the check out and fancying a wee something but having to stop ourselves. I don't find it difficult mostly just sometimes it gets a bit much, but it's that kind of uncontrolled behaviour that got me in this fix in the first place! Christmas has been bothering me too but WhitbyJet suggested this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23840&hilit=chocolate+paradise

Maybe we can take some of those and still have some treats :D

Hopeful Alfie

I know exactly how you feel, as I used to eat a whole block of chocolate, sometimes daily. I should have taken serious notice of the warning fingers of others, but always said that if I was told to stop I would do so, in the same way as I stopped smoking 30 years ago. Then along came Type 2 - and luckily I did stop the choc but missed it horribly. Now controlling my BG by diet alone, and it is OK so far. HOWEVER along came temptation ! Somewhere in these hallowed pages read that a LITTLE chocolate (i.e: 3 or 4 squares) is beneficial, so I thought "Who am I to disagree with such sound advice?" and followed it ! Luckily my BG tolerates the strictly reduced choc intake. Only occasionally do I succumb to eating too much. Then panic follows when the memory switches to warnings of kidney and liver failure etc... Out comes the tester, followed by a few days of strict diet adjustment.... and so the battle continues....

slimgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi my diet before diagnosed type 2 was
loads of chocs crisps sweets......no surprise im diabetic.the cravings are unbearable any suggestions please.

slimgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I adore chocs and sweets the cravings are unberable help!!

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy the six square small blocks of Cadburys Whole Nut chocolate. Whilst it has quite a few calories, it does nothing at all to my BG levels. I've adopted the same scheme we used for giving our children sweets when they were younger. We only let them have sweets when there was a T in the day, so Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturdays. It gives me something to look forward to.

Reactions: 2 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Cruelty

julifriend said:
I buy the six square small blocks of Cadburys Whole Nut chocolate. Whilst it has quite a few calories, it does nothing at all to my BG levels. I've adopted the same scheme we used for giving our children sweets when they were younger. We only let them have sweets when there was a T in the day, so Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturdays. It gives me something to look forward to.

Now that is a stonking good idea, I love the T in the day thing, something I could maybe manage. I might try this, perhaps my BG's could deal with this! Something to look forward to too.

Thank you!

kellibabi

I tend to buy chocolate & low/zero carb stuff from a site called Avidlite.

They do low carb pasta which is yummy, carb/sugar free chocolate cake mixes & lots of Atkins stuff.
I usually buy in 'bulk' & it lasts for ages. The Atkins bars really take the edge off my chocolate cravings & as they are high protein, keep me feeling full.

Some of the stuff is a bit pricey, but if you keep it for when you REALLY need it, it's worth a look.