when do you take your tablets

sgmccall

I was diagnosed with type 2 about a month ago with my blood sugar about 15. I was also informed my cholestrol was one of the highest readings seen by my nurse. I was prescribed metformin twice per day for the diabetes and statins once at night . About 3 week later my bloods were checked again and my cholestrol was right down to a normal level so obviously the statins were working and I must be taking them at the correct time of day. My sugar level on the other hand hadnt changed .My nurse said this was because I hadnt been taking them correctly and reallly had to take one right before breakfast and then next one just before my evening meal. I have never have eaten regularly and sometimes have been too busy and missed mealtimes often ending up grabbing a snack late at night.I am not overweight I am about average build. I had been taking the metformin at regular times but not eaten straight after afterwards . I would like to know if it was so important to take them right before these 2 mealtimnes or will the tablets work eventually over a period of time with my chaotic eating habits ?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi and welcome to the forum....Metformin works in three ways:

netdoctor.co.uk said:
Firstly, it reduces the amount of sugar produced by cells in the liver. Secondly, it increases the sensitivity of muscle cells to insulin. This enables the cells to remove sugar from the blood more effectively. Finally, it also delays absorption of sugar from the intestines into the bloodstream after eating.

Read more: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diabetes/med ... z2kEkfG2Es

Metformin should be taken regularly and is best taken before meals normally breakfast and an evening meal, if any stomach problems occur ie cramps or diarrhoea then actually taking them after the first few mouthfuls of a meal can sometimes help but at any rate the closer to a meal the better.

Of cause not everyone gets any side effects at all I have taken Metformin for almost 5 years now and other than a few cramps the first couple of weeks I have suffered no problems at all.

Good luck and I hope you find the forum a useful resource :thumbup:

equipoise

Hi -- obvious question, I know, but what steps have you taken to change your diet? Metformin can help, but won't have much effect unless you are also changing diet and exercise.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with equipoise. Metformin only has a small effect on blood sugar and I don't believe when you take it is critical for it's effect on blood sugar (my opinion) but obviously take it the same time(s) each day and with food minimises stomach upsets. Diet and exercise are key.

sgmccall

I love fizzy drinks and was drinking about 3 cans a day lucozade or coke which I immediately switched to diet sugar free versions For those first 3 weeks I totally cut out anything bad like chocolate and biscuits My nurse said my diet wasn't that bad apart from the sugary drinks. I am teetotal have been for about 15 years now and dont smoke . I would have thought cutting out the drinks and biscuits would have made a huge difference

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They will all help but do look on this forum about reducing your intake of carbs particularly try to avoid refined carbs such as white bread, white rice, pasta, pizza.

It will help you to lose weight and lower your BG and BP levels.

Keep asking questions on here. You will learn so much.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I was told by my doc to take them after eating... will have to look into this

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, i take all my meds anytime i remember, food, no food, if i remember at 2am i take em then, then again at 6am it dosent seem to make the slightest difference but thats just me, not meant as advice :)

Well I have tried taking them before food... keep forgetting

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I try to take mine with food, but there are usually at least 3 occasions a week where I totally forget and end up taking them hours later. It does throw my readings off a little, but nothing major as like Daibell said, Metformin doesn't make a major impact in my blood sugar levels. The thing that has reduced mine significantly is exercise, and cutting carbohydrates down to a minimum.