Me Cataract Op Aaaarg.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
cp1943 said:
I'm glad to hear you have recovered from what must have been a horrifying experience. To be honest, i'm glad I didn't read about your op before I had cataracts on both eyes operated on a few years ago. I was absolutely terrifed at the time, being a bit of a wimp, but everything passed off without any problems. Ditto for my husband a year later and for my mother this year. I was surprised that they made a fuss about the bs levels (though thinking about it, it's logical): the clinic I was at as an out-patient didn't even ask or test: in fact it was almost like a prodction (or should I say removal) line. The stretchers were lined up to go into the theatre and it was all over in about 10 minutes (though admittedly I wasn't timing it). Anyway, hope the next one goes well for you: I'm sure it will.
Oh dear, what you've mentioned is what I hoped I would not read, cp1943, however it's a timely reminder to repeat part of my origional post.......
WeeWillie said:
<snip>I feel I ought to say first of all that anyone happening to read this thread who is about to, or is expecting to, undergo a cataract removal op, mustn't be concerned that what happened to me could happen to them during the operation.
It was under exceptional circumstances that my op went badly wrong. ie, the doctor? (Chirpy Eyes) performing the op was a trainee who clearly didn't have adequate expertise and should never, in my opinion, have been operating on a patient.....me.
<snip>
Perhaps, though, for anyone else coming across this thread, it's a blessing you did mention it.

Anyway, I can understand your fear. I overcame any fear or negative thoughts by telling myself to relax and completely put myself in their hands, it really did work (for me anyway) despite what happened, I was ok going through the repair op. It's the only way I could handle it.
I'll be doing the same on Wednesday, but it'll be much easier on this occasion since I discovered the surgeon has an excellent reputation. It's really only natural to feel a little hesitant, especially as it concerns the eyes, isn't it.

As far as the blood levels are concerned, I thought every hospital must have the same policy, I guess some are just more cautious than others.

I appreciate you taking time to reply and yes, I'm sure all will be well this time.

Thank you also, NicolaB70. All these replies and good wishes fairly give you a boost. :clap:

Incidentally, I was surprised to receive a letter so soon from the DVLA this morning, it contained my new 4 year extended driving licence.
I really did think my medical report was going to put an end to my driving life. But, obviously it didn't. :thumbup:
So unless I pop my clogs any time soon, here's to the next four years (at least) happy motoring. lol

Thank you all again.

willie.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best of luck On Wednesday Willie. It definitely sounds like you are in much more capable and competent hands this time around. Proper order. I am in tremendous awe of your attitude and courage. When I had to have an anaesthetising injection in my eye for laser treatment I became a human wobble and resorted to hypnotherapy! You are an inspiration to all. Hearty congratulations on your driving license renewal. Hurray!!!

P.S. Don't even think about popping your clogs! :mad:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
It states in the cataract removal after-care leaflet to "take life easy".
Heck, I can't do anything but take life easy.
I'm whacked, more so than after the first cataract op,
(and that's really saying something) I've practically been
sleeping round the clock since Wednesday afternoon.

I tell you, I must be evolving into a bit of a wimp.
However, if that is the case, then at least
I'm a bit of a wimp with near perfect eyesight now.

Thank you both, Thundercat and alohanicky2009.

I'll be back.

willie. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Get well soon Willie...

Xx

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Best of health Willie, and get well soon.

Roy, :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Get well soon, Willie. Am thinking of you :)

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's crazy, this is me just emerging from the debilitating cloud of tiredness that's been hanging over me since Wednesday.
I'm weird, unnatural, a freak. :)

Arrived at the hospital 20 minutes Wednesday last, went straight down to the triage and came face to face with a lovely black nurse. We just looked at one another, smiled with a hint of a laugh thrown in for good measure. She said "Yo Whitey", I replied, "Yo Mamma". No we didn't, I just made that up. lol.
But isn't it amazing when you meet someone for the first time and you sort of click, a light goes on and it's as if you've known each other forever. Quite a phenomenon, I think.
She started teasing me and I loved it, she was a comedienne, a bit of a character, and I gave as good as I received without a hint of malice from either of us.

I looked at the patient board and spotted I was second in line for the op, good, I wouldn't be there all day.
A nurse guided me to a small room, gave me a blood test and blood pressure test, they were both fine.Next was the questionnaire; Do you have a pacemaker fitted, No. Are you allergic to anything, No. Any steel rods in your body, No. etc etc. All my answers were "No's
You're diabetic, have you taken your medication this morning, Yes. Have you taken your your insulin, Yes. What did you have for breakfast, Nothing, (I wanted to make sure my blood level was not as high as it was at the first hospital which resulted in the appointment being cancelled) By her reaction I thought I'd committed a cardinal sin. But I felt fine and had a packet of Dextro with me, just in case.

She wanted me to eat at least one sandwich, so ordered one for me. Then the consultant entered the room and mentioned he'd heard from the nurse I'd skipped breakfast, he too insisted, pleasantly, I should eat something. He went on to say I'd be taken to the theatre in about 15-20 minutes and the op would take about 10 minutes. I was rather surprised to hear that.
In practically no time at all I was wheeled into the theatre where I was told by the consultant the op would be carried out by himself and another doctor. You'll hear us talking he said, but you will not understand the technical terms. That was fine by me and I was totally relaxed.

As soon as the face mask was fitted an ice cold hand slipped into mine. That was good as it was kind of warm in the theatre. The owner of the hand told me to squeeze her hand if I felt uncomfortable at any time. Then the op went ahead.
He was correct, I didn't understand the technical terms but what I did understand was the instructions he was giving the other doctor who was removing the cataract and fitting a new lens.
He was instructing a trainee, I cold not believe it, not after the first fiasco, surely. I reckon I've "SUCKER" tattooed on my forehead. :crazy:

Fortunately it wasn't painful, but my eye felt as if a stone mason was working on it with mallet and chisel. The entire thing lasted 35 minutes (I timed it) not 10 minutes, and all the time that poor nurse was standing there holding my hand.
I can't figure out why the consultant changed the procedure and I just didn't feel like challenging the decision at that time.
I still have great respect for the consultant and I suppose the new doctors do need to practice on a patient at some point, but why me, AGAIN.

Hope this reads ok, I haven't really checked it thoroughly.
If it's not grammatically correct, just say "Baaa-Humbug". You'll feel better afterwards, honest. :lol:

Nearly forgot, the change in my eyesight is remarkable. I'll need new specs, 'specially for reading, but I can see the bottom of my garden and into the neighbours further down, without specs.

zolabud; izzzi: Daisy: Thundercat: NicolaB70: cp1943: damonfrog.
I'm humbled by your interest in me and by your replies of encouragement.

You're all a wonderful example of "caring".

willie.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Get well soon Willie...

Janiept

Expert
Thanks for keeping us updated Willie and taking us through the op.
I have eye problems and will probably need an operation at some point but am terrified, so to read that yours has been successful is reassuring.
So glad that you are feeling better.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
zolabud said:
Get well soon Willie...
Awww, that's nice of you zolabud. Thank you.

Janiept said:
Thanks for keeping us updated Willie and taking us through the op.
I have eye problems and will probably need an operation at some point but am terrified, so to read that yours has been successful is reassuring.
So glad that you are feeling better.
Thank you also Janiept..

One of the nurses at the second hospital this month was obviously aware of what happened to my left during the first op at the original hospital, because she mentioned the pain I'd experienced.
According to her the pain was caused by pressure building up in the eye. Apparently that was very serious and leaning towards danger. However, despite the serious problem, I've no regrets what-so-ever of going through with it at all.

I've had specs since I was 10 years old.....I'm now moving around without them. My right eye's view is crystal clear, the left eye less so, but it's ok.

Before the op, even though I've reading glasses, I always read without wearing them. Now I have to read with everything at arms length.
My original specs aren't as good as they were, so no doubt I'll be prescribed new lenses, especially for reading, when I go back for the final check-up on 10th December. All in all, I'm delighted with the outcome.

Let me just mention again, what happened to me was simply due to an unfortunate set of circumstances, and the odds of it happening to anyone is very low, so, please, nobody start worrying about it.

To you personally, Janiept don't be terrified, you'll be fine. As soon as you receive a date for the op start trying to do what I did, relax and completely put yourself safely in the surgeons hands, he/she knows what their doing. I could never have coped without practising that. (and saying a little prayer) :wink:

Very best of good wishes to you and all who've been interested enough to read this thread.
Heck, you'd think I was trying to portray myself as someone special rabbiting on like that.
I'm not, I'm an ordinary man, short maybe, but definitely an ordinary little fellow. :D

One thing, I still can't get over is the fact both ops were carried out by "trainee" surgeons being instructed by the professional surgeon.
uoi_zpsc368e865.gif

:D

willie.

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad things went well this time. Like you said, no-one should be frightened of the op: I had no problems despite being terrified, though I admit to holding a nurse's hand so hard I felt I had to apologise to her afterwards