Probability of impaired fasting glycaemia

tarbe

Hi
I am 62 recently had a lifescrening done and most things were good except I had a fasting glucose o4 6.8mmol and have a probability of impaired fasting glycaemia. I have drstically changed my diet cutting out most things with processed sugar.
I bought some haelth food fruit and nut bars which says no added sugar. However they do have natural sugar of 39g per 100g. Are these okay to eat or should I look for some with much less sugar. What is the grams/one hundred grams figure which is okay?
Kind regards

Daff

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brussel sprouts and aubergines...
Hi Tarbe,
I have IFG too. I'm no expert, but 39g does seem a tad high!
I was diagnosed 3 years ago, did nothing about it for 2 years, and got a verbal kicking from a T2 friend of mine!
So, I changed my diet (no sweet stuff at all, cakes, biscuits, chocolate - the lot!), lost 2 stones in weight and my average BG levels are now 4 - 7, 8 to 9 if I'm really unlucky. All it takes is the right diet - for me anyway.
One of the experts on this brilliant site may be able to answer your questions, but have a look around and I'm sure you'll find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet!
Welcome!
D.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Tarbe,
Firstly, welcome to this site. If you look around the various postings you will find 'tons' of useful information. Yes the 39g/100g is somewhat high and if you find something lower then so much the better.

It's worth looking into the GL of various foods (Gi tables aren't so good to use) as this will give a good indication as to what gives the greatest rise in someone's blood glucose levels. If you study the various figures you will see a few surprises. Restricting the intake of foods that are principly made up of carbohydrates is certainly benificial, but the occasional 'breaking of the diabetic law' is something that we all do sometimes.

If you follow the golden rules, avoiding such things as cakes, biscuits, sweets, jams, potatoes, white refined breads, processed rice etc: life can be pretty dull, so only eat such items if they cannot be avoided with no alternative or in moderation for that special occasion.

If you have any further questions then please ask - Best regards - Lazybones