My 5year old son just diagnosed

Oscarsmummy1

Hello.

Just really looking for advise and words of wisdom.

On Halloween (of all days!!) I took my son to doctors as I had been off work with him due to half term and noticed he was drinking a lot of fluid, I started to monitor it over the 1st few days of the holidays by giving him bottles of water, by the Wednesday he started to wet the bed. So on the Thursday I took him to doctors, within 1/2hr we had been sent to children's a&e, who where waiting for us and within the next hour, my son had been diagnosed with Type 1. Thankfully I had picked it up very quickly, so apart from high blood sugar levels he was fighting fit, we stayed in hospital for a few days which was really just an education stay. My partner and myself spent those days in shock and pretty much beside ourselves with worry, as we have no one in our lives that has diabetes.

Oscar started back to school this week, with a few teething problems, but by Friday all seemed well.

I am finding the food side of things a struggle to deal with as he is constantly hungry, any good tips, foods that can be recommended would be great

thanks very much and look forward to chatting with you all.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Oscars Mum and welcome to the forum :)

I'll 'bump' your post up in the hope that other parents will advise, however there's a book you can buy that comes highly recommended by those that have read it called Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults by Ragnar Hanas, you could also ask to see a dietitian to discuss his diet to see if it meets his nutritional needs.

Hope Oscar continues to make good progress at school!

MrsDMiles

He will be hungry at first then it settles down.. Lots if carb free stuff at first eggs,cheese,meat sugar free jelly.
We carb count now and Oscar eats anything he likes xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App